“Love that bbq meat on a stick”

Lau Pa Sat Festival Pavilion
Book In Advance
More Info
$61.25*
and up
Night Out on Marina Bay in Singapore
Ranked #75 of 843 things to do in Singapore
Reviewed July 23, 2013

The stalls inside the pavilion serve a variety of foods that are cheap, tasty and fill you up. The setting is good for people watching, although the pavilion looks as though it could use a good scrub.

Arrive after 7pm... that's when they close off one of the outside streets and turn it into a satay strip. The satay is dearer than the pavilion stalls (About $20pp compared with about $5pp). I ate here twice during my July 2013 Singapore holiday - I took my parents (in their 70s and not intrepid travellers) and they loved it for the atmosphere and variety. My first satay experience was better than the first, but I'd still go back. There's something about that bbq'd meat on a stick that I just can't say no to.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,501)
All reviews
in 70 reviews
"touts"
in 18 reviews

Reviewed July 17, 2013

Nice choice of foods, but some staffs were not even smiling nor accommodating, kinda different compared to other food pavilions maybe because of the ambiance, chicken rice is superb.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

It is true that it gets more and more difficult to enjoy real tasty hawker food in Singapore nowadays, and the same goes for satay unfortunately. Some of the stalls are not bad (though the murtabak was really disappointing) but if I had to pick a tourist spot where food is more pricey, I think I'd rather move to Chinatown or even Newton rather than be stuck in a tiny road with absolutely no view, save for the replica of the lau pa sat market. If you happen to be in the neighbourhood, like we were, it can be an option

Reviewed July 13, 2013

It is in an old fashioned building. There is loads of atmosphere and is a vibrant place to visit and a whole range of Asian foods to choose from. I had satay sticks from one stall and the biggest plate of fried rice you would ever see from another. Just wander around before you make up your mind. Have a look at what other people are eating and then choose. My wife had a vegetable curry. There was nothing wishy washy about it, plenty of taste and spice. You can buy a beer or soft drink from the centre stall. There is a lot of competition and the serves were very generous. If you want a quiet, gentile place don’t go here. If you want a bit of fun and cheap, tasty food then make a visit. It is miles better than some of the up market food malls.

See more reviews
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I haven't been to Singapore since 2008, but the Hawker Centers have always been in my mind since my last visit. Since I stay at Fullerton Hotel, which is only a 10 minute walk from Lau Pat Sat, I decided to pay a visit there the first evening. Many stalls were already closed for the night unfortunately and the place is a bit dirty. But then again, there is a certain charm in the place and the dirtiness is a part of a Hawker Center. We are not expecting to step in to a Michelin- starred restaurant anyway.
There are several different stalls and a broad variety of food! Had a hard time to decide where I should start from. The easiest way for me was to look at all the people what they were eating and then decide from there.

The food was as delicious as I remember it being in places like this. I went to several different stalls for food and drinks. Since all the people working at the stalls don't speak English, I just pointed at some picture and at the juice stand, I chose whatever the local people before me purchased. I ended up with bamboo juice or something similar like that which was actually quite good. I also had the best chicken in my life. So juicy and tender!
Will definitely go there again during my trip!

1  Thank Swansky88