“Mountain of Choice but a bit of a pain.”

Lau Pa Sat Festival Pavilion
Ranked #50 of 810 things to do in Singapore
Derby, England
84 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 251 helpful votes
“Mountain of Choice but a bit of a pain.”
Reviewed September 12, 2012 via mobile

Old setting but mainly for tourists, lots of choice but pushy vendors, especially satay vendors start the minute you enter with a mass of plastic covered menu's shoved in your face. Price good for Singapore although I am sure there are more better price ones that the locals use. Not a bad experience and I got some tasty Vietnamese food. Maybe give it a go but not a must at all.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Satay stall that run by 'mafia'”
Reviewed September 11, 2012

We were there for satay and as there were not sign stating on patrons must sit infront of the satay stall, we were to another stall to place our order. To our surprise, the stall that we wanted to order don't even dare to take our order cos his 'mafia' neighbour stall were scolding and staring. What a lousy experiences we had and that was the last time we eat at that so called satay place!

Perth, Australia
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“Its a must do hawker centre”
Reviewed September 10, 2012

Nothing fancy about Lau Pa Sat, its rustic and basic but its by far my favorite place to have a great value evening meal enjoying really good food that will barely put a scratch on your budget. It is in my opinion the best of all the hawker food centres I've experienced, with plenty of variety in food but my favorite is the satay stalls. Its clearly popular with the locals and can get very busy but its a great atmosphere and a must place to eat for any visitor.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank JWGT1957
Singapore
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Its the marketing tactic, not the quality”
Reviewed September 7, 2012

Lau Pa Sat has been a very historical building in Singapore, dating abck to the colonial time. It has been renovated in the 80-90s to ensure its continuous survival.

The place is basically a hawker centre operating on 24 hours basis. My wife worked near by and in the past and we went there for dinner on a few ocassions.

However, be warn if you intend to go there for a taste of Singapore Delicacy. If the place is operating at 24 hours basis, you can forget about finding good food around. Imagine that the food is prepared for a full day operation and by the time you order your dish, you won't know when they are prepared. There is little consideration for quality at all.

I do not find the food served by the hawker stall there attractive, there are other hawker centres in Singapore that serve much better than these junk.

Probably the only exception would be the BBQ stalls next to the satay street which operates only in the evening. The price is still reasonable and they do serve hot spicy freshly cooked stuff.

The other part of the place you may consider is the satay street which only opens at night. You can experience the open air eatery which serves a traditional Malay delicacy. Price may be a little higher than others on this island, but you won't get this kind of ambience any more in Singapore except here.

So my suggestion is, forget the hawker stalls inside the Lau Pa Sat, go for the open air in the evening and you will find your money better spent.

7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Conventional.....although there are some special things too!”
Reviewed September 6, 2012

I've visited this place for many times already and I could say that the typical Singaporean mainstays are similar to the ones you will find at regular hawker centers. In terms of culinary preparations, there are still restaurants who try to prepare meals by their bare hands. I am particularly sensitive in hygienic preparations for food. Also, the food prices here are a bit pricey compared to other regular hawkers. You might even find the quality and price of food better at other hawker stores.

But what makes this place special for me are these 3 things: 1. The architecture of the interior and the exteriors, 2. The presence of Filipino dishes and 3. the live entertainment during the evenings.

I will still be back for sure as I regularly bring along my Filipino visitors here when they visit Singapore.