“Reflective...”

and up
Private Tour: World War II Introduction on Singapore
Ranked #22 of 863 things to do in Singapore
More attraction details
Owner description: Location Information The Commonwealth War Graves Commission's Kranji War Cemetery is 22 kilometres north of the city of Singapore, on the north side of Singapore Island overlooking the Straits of Johore. It is located just to the West of the Singapore-Johore road (Bukit Timah Expressway) on Woodlands Road, just to the south of the crossroads with Turf Club Avenue and Kranji Road. There is a short approach road from the main road. The Cemetery is known locally as Kranji Memorial and one must be sure of the address before boarding a taxi as most taxi drivers do not know the Cemetery. There are also bus stops on the main road facing the Cemetery. The Kranji MRT (train) terminal is a short distance from the Cemetery, approximately 10 to 15 minutes away by foot. A previous visitor has advised us that a small map of the route can be obtained from the MRT ticket office. Visiting Information Kranji War Cemetery is open every day 07:00-18:30. The cemetery is constructed on a hill with the means of access being via three flights of steps, rising over four metres from the road level, which makes wheelchair access to this site impossible.
Reviewed June 29, 2013

I hadn't planned this trip... I went for a hike along the old railway in Singapore for a few hours, came off to find the mrt and found Kranji cemetery

I have an interest in WW2, In a sense I want to understand more, what happened over here and how. This cemetery gave me a real insight into how many fought and died for freedom just in singapore.. Seeing a figure in a book is not like seeing the names engraved on those walls... And what countries they were from... I know these are not all the names either...It is a pristine place...and a reflective place. On a hill, but it does have cover but do take water to drink as it gets hot out here! Worth a visit.

All reviews
in 9 reviews
"emotional experience"
in 8 reviews

Reviewed June 27, 2013

I am not a great lover of Cementries. But I found this one in Singapore very well kept and beutifully laid out. We went to pay our respects to our fathers mate who died at the fall of Singapore durinf WWII, I didnt want to go, but my brother insisted. Im glad I went, for the best part I sat and just reflected, peaceful and so sad. The lads were so young (20 year olds!!)

Its worth the trip out and can be gotten to by the MRT. Get off at Krani station. Taking public transport alos allows you to see some of the country side of SIngapore. It then is a matter of making sure you take the right turn out of the station. We became lost because we took the racecourse exit and stayed inside the fence of the turf club.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

The 1st place I visited after I landed in Singapore. The highlight of my trip. Catch the MRT to Kranji Station walk past the racecourse and it takes about a 10 to 15 minute walk - be aware that the hoeat and humidity of Singapore can be sapping. Beautifuly laid out and very well maintained. Mainly dedicated to UK and Australian service personnel. Also does feature some Dutch and Gurkha grave stones as well. Very moving (I broke down several times) and highly recommended.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Plan your trip well if you are going to Kranji. It is not a place for elderly people as there is quite a lot of walking and all up hill.
Amazing place to visit though. Well worth the effort of going. Getting a taxi can be a bit of a wait but well worth it.