“Great food and location”
Review of Rabbit Carrot Gun

Rabbit Carrot Gun
Ranked #761 of 11,375 Restaurants in Singapore
Cuisines: International, British
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Joo Chiat
Description: We are dedicated to producing great and affordable food inspired by the best British and international cuisine using the best and often locally produced ingredients.
Reviewed June 3, 2013

We had brunch here on a Saturday morning. The wait staff were very attentive and the food was delivered promptly. I had an Eggs Benedict and my partner had the Big Breakfast, both were very tasty. We also stayed upstairs in one of the rooms that Richard has available on Air BnB. Our stay went very smoothly and it was great to be able to pop downstairs for our morning coffees, which were also consistently good quality. We'll be back next time we're in Singapore!

RabbitCarrotGun, Owner at Rabbit Carrot Gun, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2013

We very much appreciate supportive feedback and the time it takes our guests to give it. As we continue to aim for improvement, encouragement is enormously helpful and is shared with the whole team who work so hard.

Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

You will be transported back to the good old English country with the restaurant decor and style cooking. The menu has limited choices but the food served was delicious and well seasoned. I had the privilege of trying the Beef Cheek and it was awesome and the portion was just right - tender and succulent! The carrot unfortunately was a tad bit under cook nonetheless it was a great meal. And to compliment the whole experience was the simple and beautiful decor and theme that makes perfect sense to dine in the evening. My compliment to the team behind the restaurant Rabbit Carrot Gun, especially the chef. Kudos to the owner for bringing in a new dining experience to the a East Coast - Katong.

RabbitCarrotGun, Owner at Rabbit Carrot Gun, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2013

Harold,
I believe you sent a similarly kind message via Facebook. I really appreciate supportive feedback and the time it takes our guests to give it. As we continue to aim for improvement, encouragement is enormously helpful and is shared with the whole team who work so hard.
Look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed May 25, 2013

We were recommended this place by a friend and after looking at their website we were quite excited by the sound of the food and decided to book. Our experience was mixed and on the whole, we felt there was a lot that could be improved.

Good things about this place...
1) Interesting concept, great branding
2) The place looks great generally, a really good corner location with a big outdoor area and small but well decorated indoor space (apart from one very large & bizarre painting on the wall) 3) Really nice atmosphere and for once really good temperature control inside - not crazy cold air conditioning!
4) The menu options all sounded tasty and the food we ordered was pretty good

Things that need improving...
1) Service, service, service! From start to finish this was (in the nicest possible way) pretty awful. They have a very bizarre ordering system where the waiter uses an i-phone to take your orders - our waiter was so confused with the whole thing that we had to repeat our orders twice while he tried to programme it in. This was really frustrating and it also meant there was absolutely no eye contact or interaction with the waiter who was so focused on resolving the technology that he could not really connect with us. Another member of staff then came over to re-confirm the order with us (which had been incorrectly programmed into the sytem). This happened twice during the visit, the second time when I ordered a glass of white wine and after ordering via the i-phone someone came over to ask me if I had ordered red! Bring back good old fashioned pen and paper ordering I say, which would have been faster and would have been a much more intimate way of ordering food with our hosts. There were a lot of other small things with regards to service which sound petty but when you combine them over the course of an evening it just ruins the whole experience:
- we asked to move tables and no one offered to help us move our glasses and cutlery - we did it ourselves
- getting anyone's attention was near impossible (the table next to us was also getting frustrated)
- when our drinks ran out no one asked if we wanted new ones
- when I requested more tap water, only my glass was refilled (and not my partners)
Overall on service, the staff are well meaning but inexperienced and untrained to deal with common circumstances that may arise over the course of an evening. If it was my restaurant I would halve the number of staff and have fewer but more effective people running the place.
2) Small details like the menu - with such a fantastic looking website we expected this to be consistent with the feel of the place. The menu is laminated paper and just felt cheap.
3) There are no vegetarian main courses - despite having three vegetarian starters (four if you include the special) they have no vegetarian mains. This seems quite strange! I ended up having a starter as my main which was fine but it was actually quite similar (to my actual starter) in terms of the ingredients used which was fine but a bit disappointing
4) I have a soft spot for crumble and had high hopes - it was quite disappointing and I couldn't believe how small the portion was for the price. Three bites and it was gone!
5) Prices generally - I felt the prices were just too high to justify the evening! This was a long way for us to come (SGD 20 each way in a taxi) and it would be difficult to justify the total cost of the evening for us to return!

RabbitCarrotGun, Owner at Rabbit Carrot Gun, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2013

I very much appreciate the feedback and the time it took. I gather there is a great deal you enjoyed about your visit and in equal measure room for significant improvement around service particularly. As we continue to aim for improvement, encouragement is enormously helpful and is shared with the whole team who work so hard.

At my team meeting this morning we discussed in detail your considered review and we're taking steps to address the areas you specified that need improvement.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon and trust you'll enjoy marked improvements and keep the constructive feedback coming.

Reviewed May 18, 2013

There's something really special about this place and it's difficult to put your finger on it. Even the first few times we went it felt like 'our' local. An incredibly warm and friendly atmosphere as if everyone had known each other a long time. Although it hasn't been open long, it feels like it has and it feels like it 'belongs', and that it has defined this corner plot for many years. It definitely makes perfect use of the space, with the colours and decor that are in harmony with the surroundings of this historic area. The service is very personal and more often than not the 'Head Gamekeeper' will pop over for a chat - genuinely looking for feedback and insights. The food is great, old fashioned english fayre. The sausage rolls were sensational and we requested the waiter to 'leave the tray'! Overall, a great find and we hope RCG and all the staff see the success they so deserve. Great job.

1  Thank adlynmeg

Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

My friends and I had decided to check out the place early this month. The food was ok. The real appeal of the place is probably its nice atmosphere. Will probably be back for drinks and chit chats with my friends.

1  Thank dannychan_sg
RabbitCarrotGun, Owner at Rabbit Carrot Gun, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2013

Lord Trenchard - Head Gamekeeper - Rabbit Carrot Gun