“Authentic Thai food” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Patara Fine Thai Cuisine

Patara Fine Thai Cuisine
Ranked #255 of 10,424 Restaurants in Singapore
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Kids, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Buffet, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Nestled in the cozy enclave of Tanglin, Patara Fine Thai Cuisine exudes the easy elegance of a world-class restaurant that remains humble despite its achievement in the culinary world. Noted for its classic Thai dishes made from premium ingredients, the restaurant stays relevant in changing times by constantly innovating to fit diners' evolving tastes without straying too far from the heart and soul of the original dishes. And this is one of the reasons why Patara Fine Thai has stood strong for 22 years and counting, in the demanding world of fine dining. The story of Patara Fine Thai Cuisine's success is about the restaurant's belief in simplicity, and in delivering food, service and ambience of the highest quality. The team takes pride in sharing what it has learned over the years in fine Thai dining with the discerning gourmand. Ultimately, what Patara Fine Thai is sharing, is Thailand at its best.
Marlow, United Kingdom
“Authentic Thai food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

Great Thai food. The Tanglin Mall feels an odd place for a Thai restaurant, but do not fear, the food is very good and of a high standard. The service is attentive yet polite. As with most Thai restaurants you do leave feeling a little hungry and wondering what's in the cupboards when you get home, but despite the small portions, the food is very tasty and beautifully presented. Cost is actually quite reasonable if you stay away from the alcohol, but then again, that applies to every restaurant in Singapore. We tried their lemon grass tea, which was oddly pleasant. Can't remember all the names of the dishes, but all were very good.

• Indonesian first
Honolulu
“Improved service needed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2012

I had dinner at Patara Thai last week-- we were in a group of five people. Each of us ordered the Prix Fixe, and we also had a bottle of wine. It was expensive ($700 for 5 people) but the food and atmosphere met our expectations, and the service by most of the staff was good. It would have been an overall lovely evening, except for one waitress who marred an otherwise pleasant experience.

I'm not sure why, but our main waitress was clearly not happy with our party, and although she did not say anything downright rude or condescending to any of us, her attitude was contemptuous. Here are some examples:

1. We had placed our order through a man (I think he was the manager or the maitre d'), but our waitress brought out the first course-- the 5 bowls of soup. Since all the soups looked alike (there were 2 different kinds), we asked her which one was which. Again, it's hard to describe because she didn't say anything directly antagonistic, but she was very impatient when we asked her to identify the soups , and insisted that she gave the right soups to the right people. We were doubtful so when the man who took our order came by, we asked him. We ended up having to switch a couple bowls of soup among us. This was alright with us but it is just irksome that she didn't bother to find out for us, and we had to find out from someone else.

2. All the dishes came at once, and my friend asked her what some of the dishes were. We could sense her annoyance by her facial expressions and her dismissive tone. I'm not sure why she was annoyed to have to tell us what the dishes were since there were about 8 or more dishes to share on the table and we couldn't be expected to know, ourselves, which was which.

3. When serving us rice, she spilled some on my lap. It's not the rice in my lap that annoyed me so much, but rather her callous response when I asked her to bring me a napkin to clean it up. She turned to me and quite aggressively told me to wait until she was finished. What an offensive attitude! It was as if we were not complying to her "good customer" code of conduct. Her attitude throughout the meal remained the same-- impatient and dismissive.

For this caliber and "priceyness" of restaurant, this level of service is quite bad. I highlight that this waitress was not abusive or rude directly. Nevertheless, she did not hide her displeasure at having to serve us and made it quite clear that she was not pleased with us. Perhaps we asked too many questions. Perhaps she didn't feel like working that day.

In addition, I emailed the managing organization for Patara Thai, Creativeateries, 9 days ago, but no response.

• Visited November 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Paris, France
“Fine Thai food, charming decor, excellent wines”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

I have been to Patara three times now when in Singapore. Stumbled across by chance when visiting the Tanglin mall where it is located while staying at Traders hotel. My first time there was alone and for the two second ones I was with friends; we all found the food, the ambiance and the wine list simply excellent.

There is finesse in preparing the simplest things such as Morning Glory with a touch of garlic and chili and for vegetarians like me, many options. One friend chose seafood and only to judge by comments and the presentation, it was equally fine.

I've read some of the more negative comments here and well note them. Perhaps I should mention that I went there for dinner and each time the experience was a positive one. The availability of fine French and international wines certainly add to the fine dining experience.

To be noted as well is the decoration; a water feature, flowers and some old Thai items add to the charm. The lighting is warm and the ambiance inviting in the evening time. Yes, it is a little bit pricey, but for me it was repeatedly worth it. Will certainly return and recommend a visit here.

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank Anu Maarit S
Baton Rouge, LA
“In My Singapore Top 5”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2012

This is one of my favorite restaurants in Singapore. The food is always top-notch, though as several have said here, it's a little pricey. On weekends from 12:30-2pm they have an all-you-can-eat buffet for $39++. It's a good way to sample many of their dishes for a more reasonable price. Rather than being a buffet line of food all set out on tables getting cold, you order what you want from a menu that's a decent sub-set of their full menu. Go with your friends and go hungry.

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Singapore, Singapore
“Finest Thai culinary experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2012

Very good selection of authentic Thai dishes
Pleasant atmosphere