“Recommended!”
Review of The Shophouse

The Shophouse
Ranked #78 of 247 Specialty Lodging in Singapore
Reviewed March 17, 2013

The hostel situates in lively street with many restaurant and bar and within a walking distance from the MRT. All the staff here are always smiling, cheerful, very friendly and supportive. Since it's a new hostel so everything was perfect: clean and comfortable bed, clean bathroom and toilet. Wifi worked well. There was no lift but nice staff helped me with the luggage. The full-day breakfast was awesome! And I can left my luggage and take a shower after I checked out. That's really nice.

2  Thank Minh N
ShophouseHostel, Owner at The Shophouse, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

Hi Minh N,

Thanks for such a great review! We hope to host you again in future :)

Reviewed March 10, 2013

Pleasant Staff but quite a steep flight of stairs to climb so need to be fit.

Wi Fi LINK in the hostel.
I found that the more expensive bed dormitory was cleaner than the other ONE ON THE VERY TOP FLOOR,
Mixed dormitory is kind of unusual IN THIS PROMINENT MUSLIM AREA with female and men together.
urgently SHOULD consider a male only dorm!
if the women can have their own so should the men..

Room Tip: Make sure your bed is not by the door as people keep coming in and out and the alarm bleeps
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Vegetarian4ever
ShophouseHostel, Owner at The Shophouse, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2013

Hi Vegetarian4ever,

Thanks for staying with Shophouse and taking the time to leave us a review!

We're within a conservation area so we're unable to get permission to install a lift, but we always try our best to help guests with their luggage. And I'm sure the view and all-day breakfast at the rooftop is worth the climb :)

The room you mentioned is probably our 6 Bed Mixed Dorm, which is fitted with carpets and throw pillows. Rest assured our cleaning staff put as much effort in all the different rooms regardless of price!

As for your suggestion for an all-male dorm, we'll definitely consider it in the future if there's a demand.

Reviewed March 5, 2013

This was my first hostel experience in Asia so I don't have much to compare it with but it seemed reviews on Trip Advisor were a little bit too generous. It's a new hostel so it hasn't quite built up a critical mass of backpackers yet. They tout themselves as the social hostel but when I was there (2 weeks ago) there wasn't much socializing. As a solo traveller I would've like to meet more people. In my experience, a social environment tends to be created by backpackers from Europe/Gt Britain/Downunder (I'm from NZ). There weren't many travelers from these areas. On the positive side, wifi is good, the staff are very friendly and helpful (but local too so they don't know about Singapore from a tourist perspective). The room setup is great, each bed gets a locker, a powerpoint (you can hire adapters), a coat hanger and a little basket to hang things in.

Room Tip: The staff are on the ground floor, the social area/kitchen/computers are on the 4th floor. Choose a...

Hi Malcolm S,

Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review! We do get quite a number of guests from Europe, Australia, New Zealand and America, so it was quite unfortunate you didn't get to socialize with them.

Nonetheless, we pride ourselves on being a social hostel and are working on creating events and activities (like our recent BBQ) to foster that atmosphere regardless of where everyone comes from :)

Hopefully you'll have a more social experience the next time you stay with us!

Reviewed March 5, 2013

it's nice to stay here.
Good location and decorative building.
i was traveling alone and looking for safe and affordable room.
and there it was. shophouse.
it was nice because affordable, clean, and friendly owner:)
it has nice view rooftop and some foods to enjoy.

i recommend this place! shophouse!

2  Thank Yesu123

Hi Yesu123,

Thanks for the great review and hope you come back with your friends next time!

Reviewed March 3, 2013

Shophouse The Social Hostel is definately a great place to stay in Singapore. I stayed there around three months ago, only a couple of weeks after they opened therefore I think I was one of their first guests. I hear that now it is much better!! The staff are really nice and friendly. Great facilities and location. If I ever go back to Singapore I will definately stay at the Shophouse again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Frangkok

Hi Frangkok,

Thanks for such an awesome review! There's so much more to look forward to at Shophouse since you were here: all-day breakfast, social events, renovated bathrooms, etc.

We can't wait for you to come back and have an even more awesome time with us :)

Reviewed February 20, 2013

I arrive for only 1 night in Singapour and everything was done to make my evening nice. I had no idea where to go and the staff explained me everything, advised me for a nice food corner.
More than that I had to leave early and wasn't sur about the metro at that time and when I came back to my room I found a note on my bed with the working time of the metro, the price for taxi the number to call.

Fantastic welcoming.

3  Thank Ksrac
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Its been a while (10 years!) since i last stayed at a hostel and it was by chance that i bump into Shophouse after having a few drinks and seesha while watching football at a restaurant nearby.
Boy was i pleasantly surprised, one word..excellent! Shophouse is very well design, has good security, clean and oh so cool. I had a great time hanging out at the rooftop patio watching movies, PS2 and browsing the web. The people i met are friendly, helpful and are also genuinely travelers at heart. Would definitely be back next time i'm in Singapore.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo