“Great food, great service!”
Review of The Halia at Raffles Hotel - CLOSED

The Halia at Raffles Hotel
Cuisines: European, Contemporary
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Opened in November 2012, The Halia at Raffles Hotel is the latest and third addition to The Halia group of restaurants in Southeast Asia. The 100-seater restaurant, housed in the premises of the former Seah Street Deli, is an inviting space with lush planted foliage complemented by wood-carved tables and daylight streaming in through classic French windows. The restaurant prides itself on a refreshing concept which encourages flexibility and communal dining, with dishes classified under "large plates" or "little plates" instead of the usual "appetizers" and "mains". It also boasts an al fresco bar, which serves up its signature Singapore Sling by Hendrick's.
Singapore, Singapore
“Great food, great service!”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Went there with my little 4 year old niece for there before-show dinner. The food was delicious and the service impeccable. Will definitely go there again!

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent food”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Although Halia is a little pricey, the food is absolutely excellent. Indeed, when viewed against the quality of the dining experience, the price starts to feel quite reasonable.

We had a family meal where all of the carnivores reported excellent food. Our son enjoyed his chicken nuggets and chips (dad enjoyed it too...). The only vegetarian among us, however, was slightly less impressed with the vegetable lasagne; but she has confirmed that I am still allowed to say it was a quality experience.

The steak was probably the best I have ever eaten. And I have eaten steaks in such outstanding venues as the "Quality Hotel" in Wigan (UK). I have also eaten steaks in some slightly nicer Michelin starred restaurants too (and the one at Halia, if not the best, would have to share top spot).

1 Thank David K
London, United Kingdom
“Service makes this a must visit restaurant”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

The Halia restaurant is a must visit restaurant for great food by most importantly for outstanding service. I visited for lunch on a Friday at the invitation of a friend who was a returning customer.

The menu selection covers all tastes and the quality of the food was great. However what really makes this restaurant is the service.

Hamizan was looking after us and really delivered outstanding service that made the visit special.

• Visited March 2013
“Good, but overhyped and overpriced”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I recently went to Halia for a business lunch, and after all the good things I had heard, I was a little underwhelmed. The food was very good, but everything else left me a bit disappointed.

As I walked in, I stood around waiting for service while two staff behind the counter chatted about some administrative task. They eventually showed me to a table, but I felt the service was a little cold. I ordered a beer and waited for my client.

After he arrived, a very capable waitress talked to us about the specials. She was knowledgable and friendly, but after we ordered, service returned to slow and cold.

The food itself was very good, but given the extremely good reviews it has received, I did expect something more impressive.

But the thing that really amazed me was the price. As a whisky lover, I was very keen to have a whisky after lunch. However, some of the whiskies were up to THREE times the price of other high end bars in Singapore, one of which is just a short walk from Halia.

Maybe I was unlucky with service and caught them on a bad day, but nothing can excuse the exhorbitant whisky prices. Overall, Halia is decent, but falls far short of the rave reviews.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank Whiskyboi
Tampa, Florida
“What a pleasant surprise for hotel dining.”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Lunch on a THU at noon. Sauvignon Blanc was tasty at $15 per glass. Small plate option was nice however they had full portions as well. As I looked around some couples were sharing the full plates.

1. Wagyu Beef Carpacio-tuffle aioli, micro cress, chili lemon salt, pickled radish. $24 So tender and delicious. The topping were just enough of a flavorful addition without taking away from the beef.

2. Oriental Pulled Duck-gherkin, caper, micro herb salad, soba noodle, sesame oil. $18 - This was so different and delicious. This was a larger portion than I was expecting. Soba cooked perfectly.

3. Marinated Chèvre Goat Cheese-tomato, shallots, toasted sour dough, olive oil.$12 - Nice size, the bread was toasted perfectly.

4.Chef's Soup-Tomato and bacon. $6 - This is a creamy pureed soup. Very good, just a bit too much bacon flavor for me. There was a lot of soup, we could have settle for 1/2.

5. Chilled Strawberry Soup-Sparking wine, balsamic, lime sorbet, black pepper. $12-This has to be in the top 10 of favorite desserts. Fresh mini mint leaves, cut up strawberries and puree, they pour the sparking wine over the sorbet at the table. Simple and fresh.

6. Sticky Toffee Pudding-Date, butterscotch sauce, sea salt, vanilla ice cream. $10 - Can't comment on this as by the time I looked up from the soup it was gone.

The staff was quite young, but very attentive. I only got annoyed once as I wanted to order another glass of wine.

1 Thank StillAfraidToFly