“Best Tonkatsu in Singapore” 4 of 5 bubbles

Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Orchard Road
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,033 helpful votes
“Best Tonkatsu in Singapore”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

Everything here is a notch above tonkatsu at other restaurants in Singapore (even in Japan for that matter).The pork tonkatsu is really juicy (personally I think the pork loin is better than the pork fillet); the sesame sauce for the cabbage is even better; and the miso soup is just out of this world. The (gigantic) jumbo prawn is a disappointment, as are the other non-pork items (oysters, etc). Just stick with the various cuts of pork!

• Visited April 2013
2 Thank Lam N

• Indonesian first
  • Thai first
uk
“probably the best you can get in Singapore”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2013

I always come here every time i need to satisfy a tonkatsu craving. Abit on the pricey side, but I can assure it's worth the money.

There is an extensive menu, therefore there are other choices like prawns if you're not a fan of pork. They serve big satisfying portions; you can choose white or brown rice- rice and salads are refillable.

I've been here twice, nothing to complain about the service but the second time a young female waitress took the wrong order from me- a similar but more expensive order, which is why I couldn't tell the difference. So I ended up paying more that I wanted to, for this meal.

Nevertheless, I would still return and recommend this place to everyone!

• Visited February 2013
“Simple fantastic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013

I love this place! Have been here many many times. The service is quick, the food is great, the price is reasonable and the sesame sauce to go with the cabbage is just heavenly. A must try! It's much better than any other katsu place I've tried in Singapore.

• Visited December 2012
Singapore
“If You Love Pork as Much as I Do...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2012

Tonkatsu by Ma Maison is located in a cup-de-sac on the 2nd floor of the Mandarin Gallery on Singapore's main shopping drag, Orchard Road. Mandarin Gallery is a swank mall, a jewel box of boutiques and specialty shops. Tonkatsu by Ma Maison fits right in. You might be forgiven if at first blush you pooh pooh this a jumped-up pork cutlet joint. In actual fact, it is. But it is also a VERY GOOD Tonkatsu joint, jumped-up or not.

I enjoy pork products especially those based on the aromatic flesh of the black pigs of the Iberian peninsula. Imagine my utter and most pleasant surprise when I opened the menu and found a Tonkatsu of Iberian pork?!

Ok, before I go on gushing, please do not come here if you expect impeccable service. The service is erratic and I both times I've been here, I've had attentive and responsive and then uninformed and sluggish. But honestly, for me, good food forgives a multitude of service sins. I've never been one for ambience or service, I'm there for the food after all.

The Iberian pig shines in this dish. Maybe not as bright as the sun, but the legendary nutty flavor of pig's flesh is accentuated by the process of Tonkatsu-ing. I can't explain it, it just works. Unlike Tonkatsu made with my other favorite porcine specimen, the Kagoshima Black Pig, this Iberian iteration is firmer, earthier and less fatty and somehow PORKIER. You enjoy the warmth of the robust meaty bites accompanied sometimes by steamed rice. Then you cleanse the palate with a crunchy mouthful of finely shaved lettuce lightly dressed with a sesame vinaigrette.

Ok, the pork is good. You get that. If you don't from my description then you need to try it out for yourself because words fail me, as is often the case when describing meat, especially a fine pork cutlet, a gelatinous braised pork belly or a craftily aged Angus steak.

The cabbage salad is a truly special surprise. It took my by surprise the first time I ate at Tonkatsu by Ma Maison and it still makes me grin when I take my first bite and when I ask for my next refill (you can keep the refills coming for free). The sesame dressing is deceptively subtle. My suggestion is that you start with a light drizzle. The cabbage is raw and cuts the grease of dressing perfectly, you get cool, crunchy, salty, sweet, bitter and then umami all the rest of the way till the next mouthful.

Just good. Other items in a set are utilitarian. Good but nothing to waste precious lines on.

There are certainly individuals who love pork more than me, but not many.

• Visited October 2012