“Fun-tastic!”

and up
Experience Singapore: Singaporean Cooking Class
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Are you looking to 'experience' Singapore in an authentic and personal way? Join our award-winning cultural cooking experiences at Food Playground for a fun-filled and unforgettable adventure, where you will learn interesting snippets about Singapore and its multifaceted food culture and cook up authentic Singaporean dishes like Laksa, Chicken Rice and Satay in a fully-equipped kitchen located within a heritage shophouse. For group visitors to Singapore, we also offer exciting team-building lessons and workshops like Amazing Heritage Race and Corporate Cooking Challenge to help you bond with one another while getting to know Singapore in a fun and delicious way!
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children
Singapore
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Fun-tastic!”
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Authentic, homely and unpretentious - that pretty much sums up my impression of Food Playground. This little outfit definitely lived up to my expectations of having fun with food as the lively and bubbly facilitator Lina walked us through the finer points of making good quality Peranakan desserts - ondeh ondeh and kueh dar dar that were finger lickin' good. Keep up the good work!

Daniel T, Owner at Food Playground, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Thank you for taking time to share your experience with us, Joshua !

We are really happy to hear that you had loads of fun at our cooking class, which is really our key objective at Food Playground. Our instructor Lena goes the extra mile to engage all our participants so I'm sure she will be very encouraged to hear your praises and endorsement of her work.

We look forward to having you and your friends at our cooking classes again in the near future !

• Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Brisbane, Australia
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“Fantastic!”
Reviewed February 23, 2013

We were only in Singapore for two days, but my daughter has been interested in learning to cook—and since we never seem to have the time to take a cooking class back home this seemed like a fun activity. Well, I’m sure we’re now ruined for all future cooking experiences because this one was simply fantastic! We were a big group (9 moms and daughters). The lesson started with an explanation of what we’d be doing that day, along with sampling some traditional cookies for the New Year. We then had a brief tour of the nearby ‘wet market’ to buy some ingredients and to learn more about Singaporian cooking and ingredients. Next comes the second best part—the cooking (the best part of course was the eating when we were done!). We were given clear instructions/demonstration (and why it’s done that way—e.g., why use a mortar and pestle rather than a blender) before trying it ourselves. Our main dish was a chicken curry that was phenomenal—I still can’t believe we could make something that tasted so delicious. The class was a perfect blend of letting us work independently so we really learn to do it, but also giving us guidance and tips when we needed it. The venue itself is lovely—on a historic street in an adorable old home. The kitchen is modern and large so we were all cooking simultaneously. Everyone in our group had a fantastic time—can highly recommend to anyone interested in cooking!

Daniel T, Owner at Food Playground, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Thank you for taking time to share your experience !

We are so happy that you and your group of mothers and daughters enjoyed every aspect of the whole hands-on cooking class at our premises. In fact, our instructors Lena and Helen also enjoyed the companionship of your group very much and sharing all the fun and laughter during the class.

Your ringing endorsement has given us a lot of encouragement to continue delivering memorable cultural immersion experiences to other travellers who are visiting Singapore. We look forward to seeing you replicate some of the dishes you learnt at our class. The next time you or your friends are visiting Singapore, remember to come by our school again to learn a few more dishes !
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“One of the best cookery schools”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Cookery classes are among my favourite things to do, and whenever I can, on holiday too. This is for three main reasons - in addition to having a great meal, I also get to learn new cooking ideas and recipes, and meet some interesting people.

I recently took a class at Food Playground, and was thrilled to whipped up an array of rather interesting dishes that I never knew existed!

Daniel and Lena were excellent hosts, and most entertaining cooking instructors. I had a most enjoyable evening, and learnt a great deal I am sure I will be able to apply in future. i had an excellent experience and Food Playground offered me an interesting angle to learn more about the culture and eating habits of Singapore. On the basis of my experience I would wholeheartedly recommend Food Playground.

Visited December 2012
Daniel T, Owner at Food Playground, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Thank you very much for taking time to share your experience, Avril.

Lena and I are really happy to hear that you enjoyed your cooking class with us. At Food Playground, we believe hands-on cooking classes are a fun way to dive deep into the food culture and heritage of a country, and it's great to know that you found our class helpful in understanding more about the culture and eating habits of Singapore.

We look forward to having you again at our classes soon to learn other interesting dishes and make more friends. Once again, thank you for recommending our classes to other travellers on this forum !
Manila, Philippines
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“"Excellent cooking experience"”
Reviewed February 6, 2013

I got pretty excited as soon as my husband and I were seated with Dan and the rest of the group. I knew that we will not only learn how to cook a dish but also learn something new about the culture in Singapore. It was a pleasant surprise that after the chopping and grinding , both of us were able to cook Laksa and meat rolls in an instant and it was very delicious. The session was very informal and relaxed. It felt like it was a group bonding rather than the usual cooking lesson. They were able to stimulate our senses and you will definitely learn how to enjoy cooking. If you and you're hubby are looking for something unique to do in SG then this is highly recommended. :)

Daniel T, Owner at Food Playground, responded to this review, February 10, 2013
Hi Pia,

Thank you for taking time to share your experience after attending our cultural cooking class. We are really happy that you and your husband enjoyed the time bonding with each other while learning more about Singapore's food heritage and culture in our kitchen.

Our instructors believe that cooking should be fun and our participants will enjoy the cooking experience when the atmosphere is informal and relaxed. We are glad you had fun making laksa and five-spice meat rolls and enjoyed the taste as well. We hope you find time to replicate these dishes back home so your family and friends will also get to try these delicious Singapore dishes.

We look forward to seeing you and your husband in our classes again the next time you both visit Singapore.
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Both Educational and Fun”
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Tonight a friend of a friend asked me to name my favorite experience from my visit to Singapore thus far, and without hesitation I said "my cooking class at Food Playground." Daniel, Lena and Helen are terrific hosts. I learned a lot about Singaporian food heritage and the culture Food Playground is trying to preserve. We shared a lot of laughs, and the instructors were very forgiving of our few blunders and easily able to get us back on track. Lena also encouraged us to trust our sense of smell rather than a recipe for knowing when a dish is perfect. The dishes we prepared were delicious.

Daniel T, Owner at Food Playground, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Hi Wendy,

Thanks for taking time to share your experience after attending our cultural cooking class. We are so happy to be the main highlight of your stay experience in Singapore !

I have shared your feedback with my team and they are very encouraged to hear that you enjoyed the entire session learning more about Singapore's food culture and heritage through our market visit and a hands-on class learning how to cook laksa and ngoh hiang. We deliberately create a fun and casual environment so our participants can relax and enjoy the experiential learning process in our kitchen. Our experienced instructors also make sure the taste is authentic and personalized to the preferences of our participants so they will enjoy their own creations.

Stay in touch and let us know the next time you visit Singapore again so we can arrange another class for you and your friends.