“I'm critical because I now Spanish food”
Review of Bomba paella bar - CLOSED

Bomba paella bar
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Spanish
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Greater Manchester, United Kingdom
“I'm critical because I now Spanish food”
Reviewed June 7, 2013

This place is obviously popular and it has a relatively good atmosphere. I however wasn't taken aback with the food. The service was pretty slow if I am to be honest. They ran out of 2 of our wine selections. The food looked good on paper but disapoints on taste. I think they had the spanish foundation to the cooking but then added a little touch of their own which quite frankly didn't work. Stick to the original recipe guys is my advice. The Paella was '' ok '' ...bit dry...tad over cooked. Tapas were again ''ok''... The truth is NOTHING jumped out at me too make me go ''hhhmmmm''. I have to be honest. I wont be rushing back.

Visited June 2013
2 Thank TheGeez

“Service below par”
Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

Service was not prompt and almost unacceptable. For a place with such nice deco and pricing, you would expect a little more. But this was well under par.

The staff who took our order, whom I believe is the manager/ in charge is not service oriented at all, not smiling, close to being arrogant. We placed our paella orders first as we know it takes a while to prepare. And all 3 paellas were served even before all our guests arrived. No one came to check with us.
Other than serving the food, the service staff left us unattended the whole time. At one point, it felt like a ghost town. No initiative or anticipation from the staff. No one came to check if the food was okay or if we needed anything. We had to walk out to signal somebody for something as basic as clearing plates,

Only noticed 1 diligent staff, the one who served us most of the food and bothered to explain the contents of it.

Food wise, it was tasty. And well done!

Overall experience was not a good one.
I wouldn't return or recommend to any of my friends.

• Visited May 2013
“Service staff”
Reviewed May 3, 2013 via mobile

I was particuliarly impressed with a floor staff, Shafra. She has been working here for under 3 mths. She was exceptionally knowledgable with the menu and patient with us. She came back later to check on us and the food, asking us if we will be back. This is service. Bomba is fortunate to have her.

Food is decent. We had this porky thing which was grilled to perfection. Price is average restaurant pricing.

Singapore, Singapore
“Great Food, but Limited Selection and quite expensive.”
Reviewed April 28, 2013

The food here is delicious but the selection is a bit limited. So if you are looking for a wide array of tapas and paellas, this is not the place.

We got the 3 types of air dried meat (Cecina, Lomo & Chorizo), but was surprised it didn't come with anything, not even bread! We asked for some bread and they brought it to us, but was surprised that we were charged SGD4 for it and they didn't even tell us. We had a lovely Spicy Watercress Salad with Pear and Chorizo. We tried the blank ink paella which was very savoury, creamy and flavorful. (There are only 3 kinds of paella available, btw). It was perfect, paired with the Secreto Iberico, which was tender pork with charred spring onions.

Service was ok, not spectacular. We arrived at 6 pm for our 630 pm reservation. We didn't really like the table they had for us and we asked for another one, but they refused to move us, saying that everything else was reserved--even if it was so early and there was only one other table that was occupied.

The food is just expensive--SGD 130+ for two. That's without wine and dessert, and just one appetizer, one salad, one paella and one meat.

Pricey, so this is more for special occasions.

• Visited April 2013
“Great Tapas & Wine!!”
Reviewed March 9, 2013

The reason I have been keen to try Bomba is its link with Barrafina in London, where I had enjoyed my most memorable tapas meal ever. The chef was formerly from there & it was reason enough to pay the place a visit. Bomba had recently introduced lunch on weekends as well as public holidays. Perhaps it was for this reason that the place was empty when I ate there but you'll not be hearing any complaints from me...
On to the food - I started with a mixed platter of air cured meats & sausages - Cecina, Lomo & Chorizo which were excellent. With sour dough toast & a chilled glass of Libalis Rose from Rioja, this hit the spot immediately. While waiting for the other dishes to arrive, I ordered the pimentos del padron (grilled peppers seasoned with sea salt) which were lovely & sweet & not hot at all. Bomba's menu is heavy on the seafood & you would do well if you are a fan of creatures of the deep. An excellent razor clam was next with lovely chopped tomatoes sprinkled on top & exuding their natural juice. The paellas are great for sharing but if you are alone like me but would like to try, then an order of the monkfish wrapped in pancetta is called for. The saltiness of the meat paired with the juiciness of the fish was just beautiful as was the accompanying arroz negro - creamy squid ink paella! I ordered a final meat dish to round off the meal & was not disappointed by the secreto iberico - pork pressa grilled over charcoal & served pink, full of succulence & tasty umami flavours. Definitely worth a reorder the next visit round.
Dessert was a raisin & pedro ximenez ice cream served atop a bed of raisins soaked in the aforementioned sherry - sheer deliciousness. Was going for the pineapple gazapacho & was glad I didn't as I saw it on the next table.
I found the service to be friendly & relaxed, so was surprised to read one lady's review that labelled it "hideous". Perhaps it was an off day? Anyway, enough plusses to warrant a return visit. The prices are not for shrinking violets so come forewarned. This place together with Esquina are on my go-to list for tapas in Singapore.

• Visited March 2013