“Service staff”

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
“Service staff”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2013 via mobile

I was particuliarly impressed with a floor staff, Shafra. She has been working here for under 3 mths. She was exceptionally knowledgable with the menu and patient with us. She came back later to check on us and the food, asking us if we will be back. This is service. Bomba is fortunate to have her.

Food is decent. We had this porky thing which was grilled to perfection. Price is average restaurant pricing.

Singapore, Singapore
“Great Food, but Limited Selection and quite expensive.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013

The food here is delicious but the selection is a bit limited. So if you are looking for a wide array of tapas and paellas, this is not the place.

We got the 3 types of air dried meat (Cecina, Lomo & Chorizo), but was surprised it didn't come with anything, not even bread! We asked for some bread and they brought it to us, but was surprised that we were charged SGD4 for it and they didn't even tell us. We had a lovely Spicy Watercress Salad with Pear and Chorizo. We tried the blank ink paella which was very savoury, creamy and flavorful. (There are only 3 kinds of paella available, btw). It was perfect, paired with the Secreto Iberico, which was tender pork with charred spring onions.

Service was ok, not spectacular. We arrived at 6 pm for our 630 pm reservation. We didn't really like the table they had for us and we asked for another one, but they refused to move us, saying that everything else was reserved--even if it was so early and there was only one other table that was occupied.

The food is just expensive--SGD 130+ for two. That's without wine and dessert, and just one appetizer, one salad, one paella and one meat.

Pricey, so this is more for special occasions.

• Visited April 2013
“Great Tapas & Wine!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2013

The reason I have been keen to try Bomba is its link with Barrafina in London, where I had enjoyed my most memorable tapas meal ever. The chef was formerly from there & it was reason enough to pay the place a visit. Bomba had recently introduced lunch on weekends as well as public holidays. Perhaps it was for this reason that the place was empty when I ate there but you'll not be hearing any complaints from me...
On to the food - I started with a mixed platter of air cured meats & sausages - Cecina, Lomo & Chorizo which were excellent. With sour dough toast & a chilled glass of Libalis Rose from Rioja, this hit the spot immediately. While waiting for the other dishes to arrive, I ordered the pimentos del padron (grilled peppers seasoned with sea salt) which were lovely & sweet & not hot at all. Bomba's menu is heavy on the seafood & you would do well if you are a fan of creatures of the deep. An excellent razor clam was next with lovely chopped tomatoes sprinkled on top & exuding their natural juice. The paellas are great for sharing but if you are alone like me but would like to try, then an order of the monkfish wrapped in pancetta is called for. The saltiness of the meat paired with the juiciness of the fish was just beautiful as was the accompanying arroz negro - creamy squid ink paella! I ordered a final meat dish to round off the meal & was not disappointed by the secreto iberico - pork pressa grilled over charcoal & served pink, full of succulence & tasty umami flavours. Definitely worth a reorder the next visit round.
Dessert was a raisin & pedro ximenez ice cream served atop a bed of raisins soaked in the aforementioned sherry - sheer deliciousness. Was going for the pineapple gazapacho & was glad I didn't as I saw it on the next table.
I found the service to be friendly & relaxed, so was surprised to read one lady's review that labelled it "hideous". Perhaps it was an off day? Anyway, enough plusses to warrant a return visit. The prices are not for shrinking violets so come forewarned. This place together with Esquina are on my go-to list for tapas in Singapore.

• Visited March 2013
2 Thank Kenneth W
“Some good Spanish food and great paella”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2013

You can choose doe tapas or other side dishes,... But where the real value is in paella. There are several types and each paella type comes in three sizes so you can sample few to share in the same day. The wine list s good with a age dedicated to Spanish wines... Just about right.
The place has been redecorated and there is a strange kind of high long bench by the window overlooking just a road,... Nothing special on that so you'd better skip booking at the bench!
Every day there is a special menu offer with some typical Spanish dishes plus beer at good price, so this is also worth trying., as otherwise the place is just a bit pricy.
And for weekends, brunch is available.
No table clothes,...
A place worthy of visiting once and test for coming back or otherwise.

• Visited January 2013
Perth, Australia
“good food, hideous service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2012

Bomba's the kind of place you want to love. It's vibey, relaxed looking bar/restaurant. For anyone familiar with the excellent Leon chain in London it looks like it takes inspiration from that - right down to the old books dotted about the place. Food wise its all pretty good. Perhaps lacks a selection of pork free options, especially in the starters, but the paella's themselves were tasty (if a little too salty for my taste). Grilled octopus is a good, BBQ-y tasting plate and the liqueur raisin icecream and manchego cheese plate were good options for 'afters'.

But talk about po-faced staff. They alone may well be the nail in the coffin for this place. They could not have looked more unhappy to be there - appeaaring totally irritated by questions like "please can we order." Not so much as a smile, a 'can I help you' or a 'thank you'. Really made the dining experience borderline unpleasant,

THis restaurant will draw people who know Barrafina or Chez Nico and will walk in expecting a great experience. Bomba needs to quickly get a service team who will welcome the customers front of house and actually make them feel like their patronage is valued. I don't ever want to go to a restaurant that gives me the impression that they would have actually preferred I didn't come at all.

• Visited December 2012