“Pretty good spanish tapas”
Review of Bomba paella bar - CLOSED

Bomba paella bar
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed December 19, 2012

I note some not so positive reviews on this place. I just wanted to give it my own take, hving been to this place many many times since it opened recently.

Firstly, I must ask patrons to temper their expectations, since there is really no place in Singapore that could compare to the places I have recently been to in Spain. I was in Madrid and Seville, and the range of tapas, pinchose, sangria, tinto de verano and the like that was available, is simply incomparable - both in terms of variety, quality and costs.

That having been said, I think that this new player on the scene has done a decent job. They do not charge service charge, and they do have weekly specials. What more can one ask for - in an expensive city like Singapore? Granted, do not expect paella like that you would find in Barcelona, the portions here are much more petite..

Nevertheless, the dishes here are all worth trying. For me, I have tried everything on the menu... so I'm waiting for a sort of menu "re-fresh" ... so I can try some more new tapas..

In the meantime, if anyone knows where I can get authentic "tintos" or "clara" (kinda like a shandy), in Singapore - please holler... :)

1  Thank MaxNg71

Reviewed December 11, 2012 via mobile

Although making a reservation our table was next to door. Wait staff were friendly but generally disinterested. Food was terrible. Courgette flower thing was bland and needed salt. Seafood paella was dry and seriously overlooked so all the rice was mush. The prawns within the paella were also mush as they were cooked into oblivion. We will not going back.

Reviewed December 8, 2012

I rarely write a negative review here in TA, so I'm disappointed to post this one, as I had high expectations considering all the blog posts - which I now find very suspect - declaring it as the best paella in Singapore. Seriously??? Save your hard-earned dollars, and go somewhere else. I was not expecting Spain-quality paella, but at the very least a decent one. However, the seafood paella they served us was dry and unappetizing, and could not be farther from a proper paella. Quite honestly, I had better microwaveable paella in Madrid!

The dinner was a series of misses for us: chickpeas, morcilla, and spinach, then the courgette flower, then paella which is supposed to be their highlight. The tapas servings was of course small, but it was a struggle to finish them. We did not try the wines, as we brought our own that night - but I would have wanted to try the Rioja. Where are all these positive reviews coming from? What we had was definitely not Spanish food. Did we just go on an off-night???

On the bright side, the service was efficient, and the staff are nice. Good job to them. But great service cannot compensate for not-so-good food - sorry! All the overblown hype is just that - hype.

Reviewed November 19, 2012

I was expecting great food after reading the reviews and having been a great fan of Barrafina in London. It was okay. Nothing too exciting, overpriced like many other restaurants in Singapore and the decor was slightly antiseptic.

Reviewed November 14, 2012

More SG food reviews at my blog!

Located at Martin No. 38 in Robertson Quay, Bomba serves up some authentic and rustic Spanish classics in a funky underground setting; a renovation upheaval from the previous idyllic garden setting of Graze. Rosa, the graffiti wall mural by SBTG, assaults you with her big guns as you take a seat on the vintage church chairs, under the kitchen sieve lampshades.

Even though it's called a Paella Bar, Bomba does more than just the pedigree of Spanish rice. A variety of tapas and La Planchas (grilled items) are available too and they are perfect for sharing.

I started dinner with the Bomba Punch made from Mazanilla Sherry, kaffir lime, fresh lemon juice, lemonade. It tasted pretty much like fruit punch; very light and absolutely no embarrassing Asian flush. If you need something stronger, try the Sangria. I quite enjoyed my red but would love for more pieces of fruits in them. I was told the white one tastes better after i had half of mine. Zzz. Gotta head back for another drink some time.

Ham bechamel croquette is one of my must-order-tapas. The Iberico Ham Croquettas (3 for S$12) was satisfying enough though it still comes in second after Catalunya's. I found the breaded crust a little thick and the creamy paste lacking in the saltiness of the Iberico ham.

Gambas Al Ajillo (S$14) was well flavored with parsley, garlic and olive oil. I would have loved for some bread to soak up the salty sweet essence in which the thoughtfully shelled prawns were sitting in.

The seasonal Carabineros were done in a similar fashion as the Gambas. This bright red shrimp got its color from the pink plankton that it feeds on. The taste is more intense but the meat was slightly powdery. It's weird because they looked pretty fresh on the ice display counter.

I wasn't too impressed with the other seafood la plancha like the Razor Clams (seasonal) or the Grilled Octopus "Galician Way" (S$20). Both dishes were lightly seasoned with olive oil, sea salt, paprika and parsley, nothing to shout out about. The latter was much too tasteless and rubbery for my liking, perhaps due to it being boiled in water prior to the grilling. Texture wise, it really didn't do it for me.

Undoubtedly, the favorite dish of the night was the Signature Secreto Iberico (S$28). The tender pork was grilled to a pink perfection over the Loko mangrove charcoal spiced with apple branch wood chips. This gave the juicy meat a smoky sweet flavor with a hint of apple fragrance. Absolutely divine dish.

Finally the paella. I would always choose squid ink over Valencia and the Arroz Negro (S$35 for small) is a wet paella of squid ink, squid, dry sherry, fish stock, spring onions and black mushrooms. It is almost risotto like. While we didn't get that sacarrat crust at the bottom, the moist aromatic grains with copious amount of squid were hard to resist.

Of the 2 desserts we tried, i much preferred the Bitter Chocolate Ice cream (S$14) over the cloyingly sweet Pineapple Gazpacho (S$12). I love the interesting combination of bitter sweet and extremely smooth chocolate cream with the salted olive oil. The lovely presentation on that familiar antique plates (from Carpenter and Cook) was almost too pretty to be devoured (but we dug in anyway).

Overall, Bomba hits the right spots mostly and it does quite fill the gap for casual Spanish group dining. The only other restaurant I enjoy is Don Quijote. The friendly prices and the no service charge bonus also help pull in the crowd which started piling in at 6pm sharp. Go early or make a reservation to avoid disappointment!