“Home away from home!”
Review of ABC Premium Hostel

ABC Premium Hostel
Ranked #94 of 240 Specialty Lodging in Singapore
Reviewed August 30, 2013

I was in Singapore for a visit and chanced upon this hostel (thank God!). I called from the airport and Johanna answered my call and ensured I had a bed for the night. I wouldn't exchange this experience for any other. If you're looking for a comfort, no-fuss, friendly and efficient staff, simple & affordable place to stay, here's it.

As with the other reviewers below, I had an excellent experience with ABC - the place is so comfy, new, clean & well-managed. Staff were really hospitable, friendly & helpful and ensured every guest had a good stay at ABC. Johanna was bubbly, helpful, customer oriented and the key to this excellent place.

The rooms afford a good measure of privacy, each bed has its own personal locker, reading light & power socket. You're also able to interact with others at the big "home-like" TV lounge or the cool chill-out terrace .

Remy, the efficient, helpful and responsible housekeeper ensures everything was in order and the whole place is as clean as possible at all times (this really have to depends on the kind of guest they have at the time... some guests just have to attend a personal hygiene course).

WiFi was fast and consistent, most importantly~ free of charge. There's also 4 desktops free for use at all times.

The location is so convenient, it's at heart of Singapore and the hostel is minutes' walk from the MRT, Buses, 24/7 Shopping mall and local food.

Clean, comfy & contemporary designed rooms, fabulous staff and service, excellent location and affordable rates... I had an excellent time here!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed July 28, 2013

I was recommended to stay here from my fellow friends in Thailand. This is a place I would surely
recommend to anybody who wants to have a short and budget stay in Singapore. Its value for money and the staff here are awesome and friendly!! Place is clean too. Location is just so perfect. Its only a min walk to the train station. Bad thing is during my stay there, there is this guest sleeping next to my bed who doesn't take showers and she smells so bad. Due to her uncleanliness, the whole room smells and her stuffs are all over. Being told by housekeeper to keep her things in order, she does not even bothered. Its such a shame. Other than this guest, I still thing that ABC Premium Hostel is the best hostel I've ever stayed so far. Keep up the good work!!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 25, 2013

I found this hostel from living social promo. It was really nice when i staying in this hostel, at first i thought it will be scary for sharing my rooms with others but it's not. Thank God they all had the same perception "Mind your own business" I was staying there with my sister on this July, the bed is nice or at least i can sleep well and the bathroom had enough water for me to bath. If you want to go there by train from Changi Airport then take the green line which terminates at Joo Koon, You will through 13 station and at 14 which is calls Outram Park change your train to the purple line which terminates at Punggol. You will through 3 station before stop at Farrer Park Station then go out from Exit D then turn left and right. You will through some kind apartment near this hostel, it's just about five minutes walk. They prepare breakfast like bread or cereal and coffee or tea there's a milk too. For me i bring my own noodle cause there's microwave too with plate and other eating equipments. You will have 3 lockers with one key like a rubber watches; one below your bed, beside your bed on the wall and the last near the receptionist for keeping your shoes if you don't want to put it downstairs. The receptionist and bedrooms will be on the second floor so if you don't have enough strenght , i suggest you to bring the lighter one for your luggage. You will have to give $SGD 20 for deposit and will be return the day you check out, there's living room for watching TV and Computer + Free Wifi.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I stayed originally in this hostel for few days in June and rebooked due to wonderful staff such Nadia, Evans, Eassy and Jiang. On returning to this hostel in July there had been change of management and most of the staff had resigned. This hostel has the potential to be real gem but due to poor management the reputation has gone downhill.

Here good and bad points:

Let start of with good points- location is great a 4 mins walk to farrer park MRT exit D, Around corner from little India and Mustafa centre(247 food and shops). Hot showers, nice TV Lounge with 50inch flat screen, good speed internet throughout the building. If you don't have laptop they have 6 desktops to surf free of charge. Iron an iron board is supplied. Front desk staff very helpful and very customer oriented. One key for all lockers.

Bad points, the toilets hardly ever have toilet rolls, the women showers are dirty always handful of hair in showers, floor is always wet, the walls in women showers have gone black and got damage on them. They insists on no shoe policy inside the building which is very unhygienic. The kitchen needs another microwave. no washing machine. If you have suitcases they don't fi into the locker.

They have a living male housekeeper who is not customer focus. He is rude to customers, walks into women showers unannounced. He bad mouths he colleagues to customers The new manager is a job worth and needs some management and customer service training. She doesn't seem to have experience of resolving conflicts. She blames her junior remembers of staff for matters she should take ownership on. She has hard time saying sorry when she in the wrong.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Emi S
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Me and friends spent 3 days and 2 nights at here, cozy and comfort tv lounges, locker to put your shoes, bag and important things, it's very secure. Lovely and friendly staff, its the best recommended hostel for your friends and family!! :D

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Kyra421
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Location:
From Changi airport, we rode the East West (green line) train, alighted at Outram Station and transferred to Northeast (purple line) train and got off at Farrer Park. The hostel is a 2-minute walk along Owen Road from Exit D of Farrer Park station.

Reception:
From outside, the hostel looks small and seems to be a quiet place. When we got in, there was a sign that shoes were have to be removed. There was no lift so we carried our 17-kg suitcase all the way up two flights of stairs. But when the receptionist saw us coming upstairs, she volunteered to carry our suitcase herself. She was cheerful, kind and helpful. She briefly showed us around the place, informed us of the basic amenities which include the pantry, refrigerator, TV lounge, computer area with free wifi, terrace where we could relax, common shower room and toilet before she finally brought us to our room. The rooms are all digitally locked, and the key deposit costs SGD20.

Room:
We paid for a Queen-size double bunk bed before we realize it was in a coed room and we were all girls. So we requested if we could be reassigned to an all-girls room, unfortunately, they were fully-occupied that time. We were shown to our original purchased room, then. It was big, airconditioned, clean and quiet. We each got our own lockers at each side of the bed and one below so all our things were perfectly safe. Each bed has a white curtain to cover the transient/s from plain sight. My friend and I got two comfortable pillows each and shared one comforter. I want to mention this because we had a very comfortable sleep for 3 nights. It's a home away from home.

Roommates:
I was worried about staying at a coed room but as soon as we stepped into our assigned room, my worries immediately vanished. There was an Asian couple in the far end of the room, whose presence we rarely felt, they were very quiet. We unpacked our things as quietly as we can, went out for the first tour on our itinerary, and returned at about midnight. That night, we shared the room with the couple, a Caucasian guy in his mid-thirties, and two other Filipino boys. When these guys noticed that we were of the same nationality, they talked to us and interviewed us for several minutes, which made us feel awkward. I guess they were just excited to share the same room with girls. But the unspoken rule in places like this is to mind your own business and respect the privacy of others. I didn't like being asked unnecessary questions by strangers sharing my room. Luckily, we were too tired to not be able to sleep well despite their presence. The next two nights, they were all gone and we had a new roommate, a young Asian boy who is more quiet and easier to coexist with. I guess it's an issue of luck with roommates.

Pantry & Refrigerator:
I think the pantry is a perfect amenity in this hostel. We had late dinner on our 2nd night and we were able to heat our food in the microwave oven for free. Guests can also store their food in the refrigerator and not worry about it being consumed or stolen by others. Just ask for a sticker from the reception area that says "Sorry, this belongs to ___". Or if you're feeling generous, you could put a sticker that says something like "Free sharing for everyone".

TV Lounge & Computer w/ Free WiFi:
The lounge looks very inviting, with big pillows all over the area in front of a flat screen TV. On the near left side of the lounge is the computer area. They have four desktop units with free WiFi. Tourists can easily search for directions and contact details thru the internet. Or if you have to contact friends residing within Singapore, you don't have to go to a mall to have WiFi. The hostel has a fast and convenient internet connection.

Toilet/Shower/Powder Rooms:
I guess these areas need a bit more improvement. The floors were always moist if not wet. At least for the girls' toilet, I didn't see a poster of rules and regulations for proper use. One or two toilets were clogged by toilet tissues. But in general, the area was not gross dirty, definitely not stinky and not prone in voyeurism. I didn't have any awkward feeling of being peeped on. The powder room is located next to the shower rooms, whose windows open directly towards the terrace. Because we were in a coed room, we doll ourselves up and get dressed here.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank mscpbldr
Reviewed June 4, 2013 via mobile

Spent 2nights and 3days here and worth it bought from GroupOn. Hope to see more GroupOn voucher from this hostel. Easy access to MRT Farrer Park by 10-15 minutes walking distance. The neighbourhood of this hostel nothing much to offered, but it was a quiet place to stay after spent time in town.
The room air cond was superb. The bed fits two persons for the Double bunk bed and it was so comfortable. We got three lockers which 1 for the shoes/slippers, 1 for the bag(big luggage) and 1 for personal belongings such as phone and wallet.
Overall i think it was a superb hostel to spent your money in SG.

• Stayed: June 2013