“Fast paced,average crossaints” 4 of 5 bubbles

Tiong Bahru Bakery
Ranked #1 of 97 Bakeries in Singapore
Cuisines: Cafe, European
Good for: Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Tiong Bahru
“Fast paced,average crossaints”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

Quite a variety of breads but found croissants too oily! Get a little too rushed feeling! Better to go when it's quiet.

Visited October 2012

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
“Waiting for delicious food here is inevitable”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

Of the several times that I have been to Tiong Bahru Bakery (TBB), I have had to queue to purchase my baked goodies. There were easily 15 people in front of me and the seats were all filled up. However, the 10-15min wait is definitely worth it once you get to savour Mr Gontran Cherrier's pastry. When I'm there, I easily purchase 6 croissants at one go, and occasionally try other pastries too.

The croissants are buttery goodness, and I believe that the amount of butter used, though alot, is what makes the croissants turn out perfect. The lemon tart is also one of the must tries; it's not too sour nor too sweet and will definitely make the perfect snack anytime of the day! I have tried other pastries from TBB, but I believe that the croissants and the lemon tarts stand out the most.

The pastries can be a little pricey, but, it's definitely worth burning a hole in your pocket for!

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Singapore, Singapore
“Best croissant, kouign amman, lemon tart in Singapore”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

I live within a 10-minute walk from their flagship shop, so I drop by at least once a week for their delicious kouign amman, croissant, and lemon curd tart. Before they opened, I usually only ate bread once every six months! I'm totally converted now; addicted even.

They had some samples for breads, but nothing else really stood out for me.

The coffee is good, but I still prefer my homemade Vietnamese coffee.

• Visited November 2012
Singapore
“The Best Croissant In Singapore!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2012

This is admittedly a very subjective statement. Best for whom? How many Singaporeans agree with this statement? Is it even a croissant? Why am I reading this review and why should I even taken it seriously? All good questions to which I have no good answers, only that in my humble opinion, Gontran Cherrier has made Singapore's BEST croissant. I'd like to think that I know a little about food and so will shamelessly share my opinion about the BEST croissant in Singapore!

The Tiong Bahru Bakery or TBB now has a branch in the more accessible Raffles City Shopping Center (B1-11/12, Tel: 63334160), so trying the BEST croissant in Singapore should now not be all that difficult. You can certainly quite easily prove or disprove my assertion that this is the BEST croissant in Singapore! Guess what, they make a decent baguette as well. Personally, I have always measured a boulangerie by the baguette that they produce, much like tasting the uni to make up your mind about whether the fish is any good at a sushi joint. The baguette has the requisite crunchy exterior, flour lightly dusting the gnarled nooks, the airy interior comfortingly soft, slightly chewy and when you bite into it, visions of a tomb-sized granite and mortar oven, woodsmoke and a dusty boulanger attentively peering into it materialize. It's earthy, yeasty and just oh so good. This is a solid baguette, a proud baguette, a baguette that would be oh so divine in a Bahn Mi sandwich! With a robust curry, this baguette SINGS! It does, it really does.

The boulanger that birthed this baguette also makes the BEST croissant in Singapore!

• Visited September 2012
Singapore, Singapore
“A cup of coffee and croissant perked up my day”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2012 via mobile

After some walking around in Raffles City, I came across Tiong Bahru Bakery. It claimed to have the best croissant in town and I decided to try. True enough, the croissant was still cripsy even tho' it was cold and the coffee was heavenly. Dip the croissant into the coffee and my day had just turned much better.