“There Can Be Only ONE!”

Dining options: Seating
Singapore
“There Can Be Only ONE!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

It was true enough when Macleod said it in the first Highlander movie and it's still true today and especially of Highlander Coffee Pte Ltd.

I love these guys and not just because I'm a slave to coffee and an indie coffee groupie, but that they had the stones to set this place up. This is so un-Singaporean, taking a risk and setting up to source, roast and then brew your very own brand of coffee when most Singaporeans are happy sucking down what Starbucks tells you is coffee. Highlander was one of the very first, I'm almost certain that it was the first, the nucleus of the indie coffee revolution in Singapore and I say a silent prayer of thanks for these guys whenever I sit down at a new indie joint and they expectantly serve up a syrupy demitasse of heaven.

This is one of the few places where they will tolerate your request for a ristretto and still respect you after...and they do a decent job of it to, I suspect almost as a sardonic flip of the bird to you for being pretentious enough to request it. This is the ONLY place where they'll do a decent ristretto (IMHO).

I am partial to the piccolo at Highlander myself. I don't know why, but this is my go to order whenever I drop by for a hit. Highlander is where it all began as far as I'm concerned, where a whole bunch of guerrilla-baristas were trained to slowly reclaim the landscape of coffee drinking in Singapore. They do it right here, you see. No milky lattes. No rancid taste of bean dregs. Just the solo mezzo-soprano of single origin beans roasted to reveal their true nature...and boy does it sing.

It's actually just a few doors down from Stranger's Reunion. Make an afternoon of it already. It's easy, what else do I have to say to get you to come already?!

• Visited August 2012