“Nice hotel, great staff”

PARKROYAL on Pickering
Ranked #19 of 306 Hotels in Singapore
UK
“Nice hotel, great staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2014

Clean, decent sized superior room. Can't fault the service from the hotel staff, and the hotel itself was a nice Oasis in the middle of the city.

Breakfast was excellent with a brilliant choice, although there was a long line to be seated the first morning we were there (Sunday).

Location of the hotel was fantastic, just 50 yards from the Clarke Quay MTR, and only a 5 minute walk from the bars and restaurants of Clarke/Robertson/Boat Quays.

Only things that stopped me giving this hotel a 5 rating was the fact that the beds, whilst comfy, were two singles pushed together which seemed to result in each side of the bed sloping, and the practice of charging s$18 for a vodka in the lobby bar, then having the cheek to charge a further $7 for a can of coke to mix the drink, or which we used less than a quarter. I'd honestly expect that when paying so much for a spirit, the mixer is complementary, or at the very least not almost half the price again of the drink.

Having said that, we would probably put this on our list of hotels we would use again

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Gino-PARKROYAL, General Manager at PARKROYAL on Pickering, responded to this review, May 12, 2014
Dear johnpb78, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. I am very happy to read that you will return and stay with us again. I have noted your comment on the bar pricing and will share your feedback with our restaurant and bar team. I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel in the not-too-distant future. Gino

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (462)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2014 via mobile

Tried this hotel for the first time and it was just lovely! The beauty, as seen from the outside structure, goes all the way inside as the rooms and the pool area (with the colorful cabanas) are just so perfect!
Located near Clarke Quay and Chinatown MRT stations, this hotel is right in the middle of everywhere- shopping malls, restaurants, etc.
Regarding the hotel food, we have only tried the ones being served in the Orchid Lounge since we were given access with our Orchid Deluxe room. All day refreshments! Breakast, afternoon tea and even cocktails at night. We were treated like royals! The girls there are just so wonderful especially "Jay" who always greet us using our names with a genuine smile. She remembered our names AND our favorite drinks as well and welcomes us like we are family. What a wonderful young lady!
The most important aspect of every hotel is the service being provided and this hotel just surpassed all my expectations. I will definitely come back and stay longer!

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lady_nomad1
Dear lady_nomad1, it's indeed a pleasure to have you as our guest at PARKROYAL on Pickering, I am delighted to read that you had the opportunity to enjoy the Orchid Club experience and even happier to hear that our ladies at the Club Lounge left such a positive impression. Thank you for sharing your wonderful review with everyone on Tripadvisor and I hope you will be back to stay with us again very soon. Gino
Bromley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2014

Very friendly and welcoming staff - prompt and attentive. Lovely rooms with comfortable beds and good facilities (coffee, tea, iron). Stayed for a work trip and enjoyed proximity to nearby Chinatown and Clarke Quay. Felt slightly that the service was toned down for non-business travellers. Would highly recommend the rooms with the full-height windows to the shower - very well kept. Great views (of me and the city!) - shower could be exposed to street. Bar was a little short of atmosphere in the evening and closed at 11pm. Pool was fantastic and the cabanas were very nice and private. Exceptional choice of food at breakfast buffet.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Dear SimSP1, thank you for sharing your thoughts with us! It's always nice to hear from our happy guests and I will definitely share your feedback on the bar ambience with my team. Gino
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2014 via mobile

Quite new, but nothing special. Pool area and service is crowdy. Just 1 restaurant. Location is great. Compared it with my favourite hotel in the past, the Pan Pacific. Miles away...... Next time I will get back to the PP.

1 Thank Thomas P
Gino-PARKROYAL, General Manager at PARKROYAL on Pickering, responded to this review, May 2, 2014
Dear Thomas P, thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. I was very happy to read that you highlighted the hotel's great location but disappointed to hear that your experience at our pool was less than positive. Your feedback has been noted and we will take it on board to seek for improvement where necessary. I thank you for your patience and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again for a more successful experience. Gino
Singapore, Singapore
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2014 via mobile

The building, room and location were great. With some nearby mall, eateries and shophouses. Room are cozy enough and bright. Excellent layout.

However, the service were not in a good shape.
When we arrived, I got down to open the boot to grap my bags, the porter just took it away from me without any smile or greeting and just took off. Without waiting for the other bag.
We waited 46min with 3 phone call to get the housekeeping to replacement a kettle. This is a very bad start to the staycation.

On the second day, the rooms were not clean after breakfast and I specifically tell a manger that was checking the other room to get the room clean while on the way out. Nothing was done when we return 1.5 hours. So we just swop the dirty towel, the staff that delivered was kind of not service oriental when I ask him if he can collect the towel back, and he show me an attitude and say come come, give me now. I was like wth.

Throughout the stay, I realize that the service staff does not smile a lot.

Room services - food are just so-so. You can just grap some food 8 to 10times cheaper from the hawker centre or nearby eateries, might even taste better. Waiting time are average but can be better.

Service standard play a big part in any hotel I stay.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Brisbane81
Gino-PARKROYAL, General Manager at PARKROYAL on Pickering, responded to this review, May 4, 2014
Dear Brisbane81, first of all, thank you very much for taking the time to share your thoughts about our hotel. I was very happy to read that you recognised the hotel’s great location, architecture and enjoyed the room but very disappointed to hear about the negative experiences. As you quite rightly pointed out at the end of your review, it is much more about the service and the "genuineness" of the staff than it is about the beauty of the property. We take great pride at the PARKROYAL on Pickering in delivering genuine, relaxed and personalised service. Obviously you did not receive that and for that, I sincerely apologise. If there is anything further you would like to share with me, please contact me directly at gino.tan@parkroyalhotels.com. I value your patronage and hope to welcome you back for a more successful experience in the near future. Gino
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2014

This is my first time staying at this hotel, previously have always chosen Four Seasons so thought time for a change after some 20 years visiting Singapore. We were please with service and rooms, excellent free WiFi which unfortunately does not happen at any FourSeasons Hotels. Wonder when they will realise they loose business because of this policy. Any how the Club level was excellent for breakfast with a chief on duty to prepare fresh eggs not the stewed variety in many clubs and buffets. Also an excellent barista, once again ahead of many Clubs I have visited. Rooms are also high tech with bedside switches for day and night blinds and day and evening lighting so you can find your way around the room in the middle of the night. Well thought out room design and fast lifts in foyer. A bit larger than most hotels I choose but doing a great job and well located.

Room Tip: only had experience of Junior suite which was good value and comfortable, good size bathroom.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear rogwood, thank you for your review. I am thrilled to read that enjoyed the Orchid Club experience and I look forward to your next visit to our hotel-in-a-garden. Gino
Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2014

What an amazing property!
Beautiful design throughout, a very green hotel with plants and water features everywhere. The pool gym area has amazing views over Singapore.
The actual rooms is not huge but is perfectly appointed with everything you need right at your fingertips.
The breakfast buffet is expansive with a huge variety of western and eastern dishes.
I will be back!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Dear Riding-Giants, thank you for making PARKROYAL on Pickering your preferred choice of accommodation during your recent business trip. The team and I look forward to welcoming you back soon for another memorable experience. Gino