“Excellent design hotel - different from others in Singapore”

PARKROYAL on Pickering
Ranked #24 of 319 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed January 2, 2014

I have been staying in Singapore for a few months so I know the city pretty well but I needed a hotel for a couple of days for a special occasion with my partner. I discovered this place one day when I walked by it and I was impressed by the architecture so I decided to book it. I was not disappointed.

The hotel is beautiful - the Christmas decorations were also very cool and different. (i.e. the Christmas tree at the entrance that looked like a Jeff Koons sculpture).

I loved the room because it was spacious and functional and had a lot of light. The bed was also very comfortable. I was impressed with housekeeping - they really paid attention to detail and even neatly folded all our clothes.

The breakfast was also nice with a wide range of selection - not as large as the other large chain hotels in Singapore but more than adequate. I ordered an iced latte extra and was never charged extra.

The highlight of the hotel for me was the terrace with the pool - really cool construction with the pods and the swimming pool.

I had to take a business call while there - there is a business center on the 2nd floor with little cubicles where one can work, if needed.

The location as mentioned is very central - right next to Chinatown. I prefer it to Orchard Road and Marina where it is very touristy.

Room Tip: I chose the basic room and was satisfied with its location and size.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Hans-PARKROYAL, General Manager at PARKROYAL on Pickering, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2014

Dear tziambra, I am glad to hear that you liked the design of our guest rooms and appreciated the convenience of our lcocation. Thank you for sharing your positive experience with us and we look forward to welcoming you and your partner back in the near future. Hans

Write a ReviewReviews (3,232)

Reviewed January 1, 2014

We spend 2 nights after the boxing days, the hotel location & design is excellent as everyone mention. We had a warm welcome at the reception. The check-in & check-out process is quick.
One point to mention is they did not explain that there is shuttle bus service to the city, it was too late when I noticed as I am waiting for the taxi to the airport.
However, concierge desk can improve, act slowly when you come down from taxi, no help when you come down from lift. I realised they always chatting instead of pay attention to the client. Since, the lift to the taxi point do have a distance especially when you have luggage.
The turndown service only come on the first night, so when I want it (actually I want to have some ice) on the second night, you had to call them again, don't know what is their policy.

They do listen & do very much to co-operate when you wrote to them. Really want to thanks to Serena Khoo again & again. Overall, I do enjoy very much of the stay, nice hotel, nice atmosphere & people. Will try to stay longer on the next visit.

Room Tip: Higher floor room will have good view of the city
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Dear louisakflo, thank you for sharing your recent experience with us. I was very happy to read you enjoyed the overall experience but very disappointed to hear about your experiences with our Concierge and Housekeeping department. We take great pride at the PARKROYAL on Pickering in delivering genuine, relaxed and personalised service. Obviously you did not receive that and for that, I sincerely apologise. I appreciate your patience and look forward to welcoming you back to PARKROYAL on Pickering for a more successful experience. Thanks. Hans

Reviewed December 31, 2013

We spent a week at PARKROYAL on Pickering over Christmas in a Premier Club Room. Room was excellent, perhaps a little short on storage space for an 8 day stay but great view, comfortable bed, great shower, great location just a short walk to Clark Quay. The Orchid Club was very worthwhile giving consideration to the fact that refreshments were available all day, cocktails and very good snacks in the evening, champagne breakfast and afternoon tea available. We were meeting up with friends and their adult children also staying at this hotel with a Club room so Orchid Club was a very useful meeting place in this respect. Staff throughout the hotel were very professional and charming, special mention to the ladies in the Orchid Club who added such a festive atmosphere to the club and Ibrahim at the front desk for giving us great customer service. Breakfast was lovely, good gym and lovely pool, albeit the water was rather cold! Cannot fault this hotel, will definitely stay again and no hesitation in recommending it to friends who want to spend time in Singapore.

Room Tip: Premium Club rooms were great, rooms overlooking the quay seemed to have better views.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Hans-PARKROYAL, General Manager at PARKROYAL on Pickering, responded to this reviewResponded January 1, 2014

Dear myview P, great to hear that you enjoyed your Christmas celebrations at PARKROYAL on Pickering. I am pleased to know that you recognised the hotel's great location and that our Orchid Club Lounge associates made you feel right at home. On behalf of the team, we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the not too distant future. Hans

Reviewed December 31, 2013

I recently stayed at this place and absolutely loved it. The design is great, the room was very spacious and clean, with a great view and all amenities you need. We were using the Club lounge upstairs and enjoyed fantastic snacks and cocktails daily. All the girls upstairs were very nice and welcomed us by name and even knew our favorite seat! Also Michelle from Housekeeping was fantastic, we ordered some extra soft pillows and she went out of her way to let us try out which one would suit us best. The pool is amazing, with a spectacular view... We also enjoyed buffet dinner which was great in variety and quality. In general, some of the staff/runners at the restaurant could be a little bit more service-oriented or welcoming, e.g. some of them cut our way sometimes on the way to the buffet or did not smile at us when we ordered something, but have to admit we always came there at busy times during breakfast and dinner and it is only a minor point. The location is very central and you will find everything you need, from shops, restaurants to train stations in a short walking distance. We had a great time and can't wait to come back!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Janine K

Dear Janine K, it is indeed my pleasure to have you as our guest and I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for the positive review and in particular for highlighting Michelle and our Housekeeping team! I will definitely be sharing this with them. Thanks again! Hans

Reviewed December 31, 2013

The ParkRoyal on Pickering is a great new hotel in Singapore. The place breaths eco-friendly; literally, there are trees on every level of the building which makes the hotel a sight to be seen from both the inside and outside. The location is perfect for business travelers working in the CBD and breakfast at the Lime restaurant is awesome.

Be sure when getting a cab to the hotel you let them know it's the ParkRoyal on Pickering specifically (since there are two ParkRoyals in Singapore). It also helps to tell them it's the new hotel with the trees growing on the outside of the building.

Overall, it was a great stay- I'll return on my next trip to Singapore.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Allison C

Dear Allison C, it’s always a delight to hear from a happy guest. Thank you for the tip on taxi ride and our locale! I am also pleased to read that you recognised our green efforts and hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel-in-a-garden very soon. Hans

Reviewed December 31, 2013 via mobile

Am currently here for 3 nights, including New Year's Eve, so at an extortionate rate (so be it).

The hotel's design is beautiful and deserving if its praise. Amazing use of water and plants throughout and WOHA architects have done an incredible job with the concrete exterior and wooden design in the lobby too.

The deluxe room i'm in reminds me of Oasia hotel at Novena with its use of light wood elements.
A shame the shower and toilet area is so cramped and the shower's water pressure is weak.

The club lounge is spacious and welcoming with great views. The staff are friendly and it's a lovely space to spend time in.

The hotel is connected at Chinatown station to both the NE MRT line and the new Downtown line, so very convenient.

My only niggle with this hotel is the bizarre use of nasty cheap toiletries in the bathroom, which IMO doesn't fit with the hotel's image. They don't even provide soap for the shower. Luckily Chinatown Point mall is outside so you can buy done decent shampoo n shower gel. The turndown 'service' was also odd - duvet folded over and an ice bucket but wet towels remained on floor and rubbish wasn't taken.

So I have rather mixed feelings overall with this hotel - I'd probably stick with the Fairmont where I just spent the previous 6 nights, even though I never had a club room there.

• Stayed: December 2013
Hans-PARKROYAL, General Manager at PARKROYAL on Pickering, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2014

Dear GaryinSydney, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback, I agree that WOHA has done a wonderful job and our iconic building has indeed injected a breath of fresh air into the city’s skyline. I am pleased to know that you recognised the hotel's great location and that our Orchid Club associates made you feel welcomed. I greatly appreciate the honesty of your remarks and I agree with you that the turndown service was unacceptable, it should not have happened and for that I sincerely apologise. I’m sorry you didn’t find the St. Gregory toiletries comfortable, they’re actually bottled from the award-winning St. Gregory spa which is located on level 5 of our hotel, I have taken note of your preference and we’ll be able to provide an alternative choice of toiletries. I appreciate your patience and hope to be able to welcome you back to PARKROYAL on Pickering in the future for a more successful experience. Thanks again. Hans

Reviewed December 30, 2013

Pros:
1. New hotel, close to public transport, MRT, close to city, harbour front, chinatown.
2. View is amazing
3. Love the toilet (booked the premier room, toilet layout is different, faces the plants, an interesting feeling when you use the toilet because of its open/discreet concept)
4. Breakfast is awesome, lots of variety

Cons:
1. Check-in abit slow
2. Swimming pool is very popular... so much so that its crowded even at closing times
3. USB socket not working.

Room Tip: Try to book Premier rooms.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear decchub, thanks for your feedback. While it sounds like you had an overall postive experience, I sincerely apologise for the check-in speed and USB issue. Thank you for your patience and I look forward to welcoming you back again in the not too distant future. Hans