“Great stay, beautiful hotel”

PARKROYAL on Pickering
Ranked #19 of 306 Hotels in Singapore
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Great stay, beautiful hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights in September 2013 before onward journey to Indonesia. Loved the hotel and the design of it. Room was comfy,spacious and clean and food was out of this world. Great location for sightseeing and getting around Singapore. Can't wait to go back one day.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Hans-PARKROYAL, General Manager at PARKROYAL on Pickering, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Dear Rob H, thank you for sharing your positive experience with us. It’s always rewarding to hear from our happy guests and we hope to remain your hotel of choice during your next visit. Hans

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (462)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Singapore
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013

Hey ParkRoyal, just a tip: service is service, and good service should not depend on whether your patrons are locals having a weekend staycation or actual tourists. It should not even matter actually.

This is my second staycation ever (because I do not quite believe in staycations) and both times, service levels are lacking. But this one takes the cake because we could see a stark difference in the service given to tourists and us locals.

To start with: while checking in, we observed only tourists were given the refreshing looking welcome drink. We weren't the only locals who planned a staycation this weekend, so the pattern was really easy to figure out. Are we not welcomed? I mean seriously, there is no valid excuse to pick and choose who you serve welcome drinks too - we are ALL patrons of your hotel and we reserved the right to be treated equally. Are locals also not paying customers?

We searched high and low for the room service menu in the room, and upon not able to find it we went down to the lobby and approach a staff member to whom we asked if there's any room service available. He then referred us to a manager (I assume), who told us he will send someone up to provide us with the menu.

So we went back up, and actually discovered that the room service menu is within the pages of the hotel booklet (normally its a separate booklet for the menu) and felt bad that we requested for someone to send it up to us.

BUT, we shouldn't even be feeling bad because NOBODY CAME. AT ALL. I mean, what kind of service is this? What if we were really jet-lagged tourists who just wanted a meal and then it's off to bed? Wait a minute, if we were tourists, I bet the booklet will be at our doorstep within 5 minutes of us requesting for it.

Next, at the breakfast buffet the next morning, we were lead to a table where we were to be seated. No additional words were exchanged other than if we wanted any coffee or tea. A couple of tourists then walked by us, being led to their table and then we heard, "Is this table alright for you?"

It's not that I want to be petty about this, but there is a blatant difference of service provided to us, compared to foreigners. And also, to add to breakfast issues - my first course for the day was a bowl of prawn noodles. After I was done with it, of course I put it aside, and then go on for my second and third course. Trust me when I said, the bowl remained there until I returned with my third and final plate for the morning.

Not to be nit-picky, but the unhappiness has been accumulated since the previous day, when we did not get our welcome drinks - and this tiny detail of not having my bowl cleared was just the last straw.

It's really such a shame for this hotel to be having this mediocre and biased level of standards. The lobby is really snazzy, room is comfortable enough, view is great and breakfast buffet had a lot of variation. For a hotel that has so much potential, it has really let us down this weekend.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Sha S
Dear Sha S, first of all, thank you very much for taking the time to share your thoughts about our new hotel. We are regretful to learn of your experience and would like to invite you to contact me directly at hans.heijligers@pphg.com to follow up on the matters concerned. In the meantime, I have shared your feedback with the relevant departments and will be looking into improvements on those points. Hans
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2013

I had to call 3 times for room make up service! I have also keep respecting myself even in in-room dining orders!! Really disappointed in my overall experience! It's like they don't listen to their guest!!
On a side note: The room and swimming area is very nice

• Stayed October 2013
3 Thank Siddhida
Dear Siddhida, thank you for your comments, I have shared your feedback with the team for their review and we will look into correcting our service shortfalls on our end immediately. It is only through feedback like yours that we are able to constantly adapt and improve our services. I sincerely apologise for the inconvenience caused and hope to welcome you back to PARKROYAL on Pickering in the future for a more successful experience. Hans
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013

I had read the amazing reviews for this hotel and I think that was part of the problem - maybe I had overly high expectations for my stay.

On check in we were told the hotel was extremely busy (and it was), and we were told they may have difficulty putting my friends and I on the same floor (booked 2 rooms). We said this was not a problem. They did however manage to put us on the same floor. My first impression on getting to the room was that the room itself was very nice, not overly large, but I liked the way the bathroom could become part of the room by using the sliding doors, the room lighting was great with its different settings, and there was a big window, with seating alongside it, which overlooked the back of the hotel and the hotel corridor. It then occurred to me that anyone walking down the corridor could see right into the room but I hoped that the window would be reflective to ensure I could see out but no one could see in. I went into the corridor to check only to find that, no, anyone walking down the corridor would be able to see me lounging around in my room. Yes the rooms have privacy blinds but that defeated the object, I would be heading back to a grey old London and why would I want the blackout blinds down for the duration of my stay blocking out the Singaporean sunshine? I would like to point out that I have never asked to move rooms before, but on this occasion I did, and the lady on reception was very helpful. I was shown to my new room and then realised I had gone from a double bed to two singles. At this point I didn’t have the energy to go back downstairs and ask to move rooms again. That evening after meeting friends in the bar I headed back upstairs to find that my key no longer worked and I had to go back down to reception to have it reset. Then, to top the day off when I went to get into bed, I pulled back the covers to find that the duvet appeared to have a muddy footprint mark on it. No need to complain however, things happen for a reason, I now had two single beds and just moved to the other one. My stay was then compounded at the end, as on leaving the hotel I found it frustratingly difficult to catch the attention of the three people behind the desk, only for them to look immediately passed me at another lady who came along after me and wanted a photo taken.

Having said all that, my friends had no problems during their stay, and really liked the hotel. The location is amazing, between China Town and Clarke Quay. The architectural style of the hotel is really nice, and service wise other than the issue at the end everyone was very helpful. The hotel couldn’t accommodate a late checkout but did extend checkout time by an hour and we were able to use the rather darkly lit shower facilities for the spa/pool on the fifth floor before leaving for our flight. I don’t know whether I would stay there again, for the same price I could have stayed at the Pan Pacific (part of the same group and somewhere I have stayed previously and loved). I wanted to love this hotel, but came away slightly disappointed that it had not lived up to expectations. As I said my friends had no problems, and maybe for me, it was just one of those trips and Parkroyal on Pickering deserves a second chance, however, I am not entirely convinced.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sazlc74
Hans-PARKROYAL, General Manager at PARKROYAL on Pickering, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Dear Sazlc74, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback, I regret to learn about your recent experience at our hotel and sincerely apologise for the inconvenience caused. Our guestrooms and suites are configured to allow as much natural light in as possible and we recommend that you lower the day blinds if you wish for total privacy. I greatly appreciate the honesty of your remarks and assure you I am personally investigating both situations. I appreciate your patience and hope we get the chance to welcome you back. Hans
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013

Stayed for 3 days with the family. The initial impressions were great, the hotel is very imposing from the outside with the cascading greenery. Inside the hotel is beautifully appointed. The rooms are well presented, modern and very clean. Excellent views. We had breakfast each morning, fantastic. Ideally located near Chinatown. Great poo area on the 5th floor. Highly recommended.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank oshanp
Dear oshanp, thank you for sharing your great review with us on TripAdvisor! I am delighted to learn that you have thoroughly enjoyed the stay and certainly look forward to welcoming you back for a refreshing experience in the near future! Hans
Adelaide, South Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

Stayed 3 nights on the way home to Australia from Europe. Lucky to arrive on a Friday so was able to book a weekend package which was excellent value including breakfast and WiFi.

Arrive very early morning, so room not available. Allowed to use the pool area and showers here. Lovely pool area.

Great location next to Chinatown.

Great room, I think we were upgraded to a Premier even though our package said superior.

Lovely breakfast.

Only blemish was Housekeeping. Room serviced after 1st night but no hand towels left and creamer not replaced. Both fixed very quickly.

After 2nd night we went out all day, returned at 4pm to find room not serviced. When i reported this to the switchboard, they contacted housekeeping who sent somebody straight away. They did not check if this was suitable and it was not as we had just arrived back after a long day out. When I inquired why room had not been serviced, I was told it was because I had not asked for it to be done.

Apparently they have a policy that guests need to ask for it to be made up. There is a button (not obvious) hidden under the slot you put the key-card in to allow air-con and lights to work. No one told us anything about this and there is no obvious signs in the room. What was annoying is that I had to tell my story to 4 different people.

Apart from that - I would stay there again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear AussieBabyBoomers, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. While it sounds like overall you enjoyed your visit, I was disappointed to hear of the service shortfalls with our housekeeping. I note your comments and have shared your feedback with the relevant departments for their review. I appreciate your patience and I hope to welcome you and your partner back to PARKROYAL on Pickering in the future for a more successful experience. Hans
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

This is a good hotel in great location. Room was very clean and very modern. Great views as well. Staff as usual were excellent. Swimming pool is on level 5 and has these 'pod' like relaxing lounges which are great. Views from pool over city are well worth the visit. Breakfasts were excellent with virtually anything you wanted availaible in European or Asian style.

My only negatitivity is that to access your room you must get into a central lift. Once you get to your floor the rooms are on either 'side' of the central lift area. This design is quite normal for hotels. However where the Parkroyal differs is that to access your room you walk along a corridor where there are no walls on one side but railings about 3 feet high. If you suffer from virtigo you will not like this design. Also l would not like to walk back to my room along this 'corridor' if you have had a few too many beers or wines during the evening !!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear MERTHYRMAWR, thanks for the review and great to know that you enjoyed our poolside cabanas and breakfast spread. I’m sorry you didn’t enjoy the outdoor corridors, some guests absolutely love them and some don’t. Spaces such as our external hotel corridors are designed to be naturally ventilated to reduce the cooling requirements of the building, in line with the hotel’s sustainability efforts. Thanks again for sharing your feedback with us and I look forward to seeing you in the not too distant future. Hans