“Pleasant, clean and generally efficient”

PARKROYAL on Pickering
Ranked #24 of 319 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Stayed two nights in mid-May on a business trip and was impressed with the hotel’s consistent theme. Overall a pleasure staying here and will return.

Room was new, bright and simple. Lots of mirrors (not sure if feng shui compliant?) which brings in light plus plants outside the window provide ample greenery, curtains of course for further privacy. The shower was modern (this unit didn’t have a bath tub) while two sliding doors which frame the bathroom help save space.

Breakfast was at Lime restaurant on the ground floor. Naturally, lots of food (perhaps more health-related and vegetarian?) and things could get hectic during peak times which means you may have to queue for seating and your tea or coffee could be misplaced or delayed. I’d say nothing critically wrong as service would naturally improve.

The hotel itself is long, narrow and for first-time visitors possibly confusing? While the main entrance is the car drop-off on Upper Pickering Street roughly opposite Hong Lim Park there are also doors on the side (near the lifts, sometimes locked) and at the end (by/through Lime restaurant). I’m not sure if it’s proper to walk through the restaurant to the lifts and lobby (or vice versa), perhaps more signs or instructions would help?

Nevertheless, a pleasant and efficient stay. Obviously good location reasonably close to offices and a brief walk to the Clarke Quay MRT.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
David-PARKROYAL, General Manager at PARKROYAL on Pickering, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

Dear Korsen_Bkk, thank you for your review. Interesting comment on the mirrors! You’re the first one to make a connection between the mirrors and feng shui. The mirrors reflect the water features from outside the hotel and create a fluid effect, amplifying light and space within the hotel. I’ve taken note of your feedback and the relevant departments have been notified. Thanks again for sharing your feedback with us and I hope to welcome you back for another memorable experience…David.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,232)

Reviewed July 22, 2013

This new hotel's interior and exterior is very well designed and green, one of the most unique hotels I have been to. The room is not very big, but sufficient, with an open toilet. The roof top pool is nice and gym is well equipped. Location is great, very close to Hong Lim for hawker food, and shopping mall by the hotel.

However, we were let down in the finer details, maybe because this hotel is still new and will take time for everything to run smoothly. I travel frequently on business and personally.

1) Shower water pressure is poor. We thought it might be just in our room, but it was also the same in the changing room showers by the pool.

2) Service at breakfast was a bit disappointing. There was one instance, where we were seated at a table which had not been set, we asked the waiter to bring the cutlery etc while we went to get food from the buffet. When we returned with the food, we still had no cutlery. The waiter was cleaning all the other dirty tables first after customers left, while we were sitting there waiting as our food turned cold. Positive is that food choice was pretty good, the chocolate muffins are so delicious.

3) There was a funny smell in the room, and they explained that it was coming from the wooden walls as the hotel is new.

This hotel is not cheap, and for the price, I would rate this hotel average overall.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Swswswsw
David-PARKROYAL, General Manager at PARKROYAL on Pickering, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

Dear Swswswsw, thank you very much for taking the time to share your thoughts about our new hotel. The relevant departments have been notified on the shortfalls and rest assured that we will look into it immediately. It is only through feedback like yours that we are able to constantly adapt and improve our services. I value your patronage and hope to welcome you and your family back to PARKROYAL on Pickering in the future for a more successful experience…David

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Title says it all, nice relaxing property covered with greenery, feels like you are in the jungle.
Usually don't go for "modern, hip, and trendy" places, but this hotel has it all and uses it well. Rooms are thoughtfully appointed, comfy bed, spacious bath, great common area, floor to ceiling windows with electric blinds, green concept. Nice foliage on exterior and clean lines in design.

Only a couple of blocks away from Chinatown night market, and MRT and within walking distance to Maxwell Road hawker center.

Only problem was lack of sleeping accommodations for children, we were in a junior suite, the desk informed us the second room had a sofa bed, actually it was just a twin size sofa after we pulled the cushions off, so one child slept with us in master bedroom which had king size bed.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Dear jlabsher, thank you for your review. I'm very pleased you enjoyed your visit and that you recognised the hotel's great location. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!....David

Reviewed July 22, 2013

I stayed there for five days for a business trip. Both, check-in and check-out where fast and effective. I had a room which was decently sized while not being really large. The design was modern in conservative colors. Everything functioned well which can be expected at a hotel of this class. What I really liked that the room was exceptionally calm. I did not hear anything from neighbors even though the hotel was occasionally quite booked during the five days. The hotel urgently needs to improve its breakfast service: Not only is the breakfast restaurant in the ground floor arranged in a way that there is traffic for nearly every table, the service is uncoordinated and not sufficient during rush hours. On a Sunday morning people even queued up 7 m and longer. And the worst: While they were waiting - tables were available but just not cleaned and made ready fast enough. The other days I had to beg for tea. This means that breakfast is not a pleasant start, but kind of stressful. This is a pity because everything else in this hotel broadcasts serenity: plants everywhere, pleasant design with naturally looking materials. The lobby area with its high wooden tables, ideal for a coffee while surfing the Internet. Internet connectivity was included in my room rate and functioned flawlessly with a fast and reliable connection. The location of the hotel is quite good: Chinatown restaurants are round the corner, if one wants one can also walk to the Marina Bay Sands area in 20 - 25 min.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Dear Minov, I greatly appreciate the honesty of your remarks. I was very happy to read you enjoyed the overall experience, but I was very disappointed to hear of the service shortfalls. We take great pride at the PARKROYAL on Pickering in delivering genuine, relaxed and personalised service. Obviously you did not receive that and for that, I sincerely apologise. I appreciate your patience and hope we get the chance to welcome you back...David

Reviewed July 21, 2013

I feel sad writing this review. The building is amazing. Pool area is one of the greatest I've seen in a hotel in a city center. Location could not be much better. Rooms are really nice, interiors with taste and great view from huge windows. But.. the devil is in the details. I needed some information about services and could not find the hotel directory before 15 minutes of searching. There it is mostly referred to info screen of television - which I could not either find. I tried to order snacks from room service and asked if they have any finger food. They promised to check and call back but never did that. Such a nice hotel and good concept but couple flaws separate them for being a true A-class hotel. I might be too harsh on this but I hate it when they have everything that could make them a perfect hotel but ignoring these couple details leaves a bad taste on your mouth. Somebody should give the a proper pep talk immediately so that they could take the final step reaching what they could achieve.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank RIOTS

Dear RIOTS, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. While it sounds like overall you enjoyed your visit, I was disappointed to hear of the service shortfalls. I am confident our service levels are improving every day and realize it does take a little time to get the consistency after a new opening. I appreciate your patience and hope we get the chance to welcome you back…David

Reviewed July 20, 2013

I visit Singapore every fortnight as I manage South East Asia & Australia for our company. After living in Singapore for the past 7 years, I am now living in Australia and visiting Singapore each month for 5-10 days at a time.

I have been staying in a mix of Singapore hotels for variety. The Fullerton, Scarlet, Parkroyal on Pickering, Mandarin etc.

The Scarlet closed for renovations this weekend, so I sent an email to Parkroyal on Pickering to say that I need a new regular hotel and if its good, I'll have all our overseas staff stay here as well.

My staff had enquired about staying here, but were quoted rates well above our corporate policy. Shame, as our office is in China Square Central only a 5 min walk away.

So, I was pleased when Delia Goh from sales finally quoted a rate that was in line with our company policy.

1- I am pleased with the room
2- Bed is very comfortable
3- Room is a good size
4- Minibar is OK
5- Shower is OK, but the water pressure is too low. They have taken the Eco theme too far.
6- Room service is very very average. Need a complete overhaul here. The chefs have clearly
not had any western cooking training.
Simple things as well, chocolates in minibar are heat damaged. Cheese and biscuits served in
room - biscuits were stale/ soft and there were only 4 biscuits for 5 medium servings of cheese.
What is the chef thinking? Answer: he is not.

7- Food looks OK down in the Lime Restaurant. I will check it out next visit.

8- Gym looks good and I will utilise that a lot.

9- Pool is not welcoming, small and shady. The Fullerton leaves it for dead.

10- Hotel is quiet. A must when working all week.

11- TV has more channels than most. Adequate.
Certainly need movies on demand.

I want to be wowed when I stay in a hotel. Usually it is the food that will make
you come back.

Parkroyal on Pickering needs a visit from Gordon Ramsay.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Dear JetsetterinAsia, thank you sharing your honest comments with us. I note your comments on the quality of our mini bar and in-room dining standards and have shared your feedback with the relevant departments for their review. I sincerely apologise for the negative experience and rest assured that we will look into correcting the shortfalls on our end immediately. It is only through feedback like yours that we are able to constantly adapt and improve our services. Thanks…David

Reviewed July 20, 2013

usually i stay at park hotel at robertson quay for convenience of dining or drinking, but changed my mind to stay this hotel which is pretty new. this is much better than other parkroyals such as beach road in singapore, not just in terms of location but in every sense. room is clean and new, with full window with unique greens. just next to china town which is lovely for nite supper our breakky.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo

Dear Takafujino, great to hear that you enjoyed your stay! Our guests are spoilt for choice when it comes to dining and entertainment options since we are conveniently located in the heart of Chinatown and just a 5-minute walk from the waterfront dining options at Clarke Quay and Robertson Quay. . Thank you for making the switch and I look forward to welcoming you back for a another refreshing experience in the near future!...David