“True green hotel”

Ranked #20 of 312 Hotels in Singapore
Singapore, Singapore
“True green hotel”
Reviewed May 5, 2013

A hotel that garnered many attention in its building facade and its structure, Parkroyal on Pickering is one of my "must stay" hotel even before it was opened in January this year. Love the design of the hotel by Woha, a local architect company, that looks like stacks of cardboard on top of one another. Touted a green hotel, there are certainly heaps of greenery in the hotel, which I saw in their skypark on level 5, and some greeneries along the corridors, and even the tech stuff within the room, are some initiatives to make this hotel green for the environment.
During the check in, guess the staff that handled us was unfamiliar with the check ins for locals, which took her around 10mins just to get our check-in done. But the welcome drink, does make this business hotel somewhat "resort feel".
Upon entering the room, the woody design captured my attention, especially the sliding doors that can separates the bathroom area from the room, which differentiates its design from its sister hotel in KL. The large glass window allows natural lighting into the room, but as I got a room on level 6, which may occasionally get to see gardener manning their greeneries outside the room, thus privacy can be compromise if you do not lower the curtains.
I find the gadget that control the air condition, room lighting etc, pretty cool! And the bed was comfortable as well as the bench that was beside the glass window. Great for some reading if you are spending more time in the room.
One place you shouldn't miss is the swimming pool on level 5, and the nice little chill out "huts" located around the pool level. It did gave me the resort feel, but instead of blue sky and sea, you get to see some Singapore skyline.
Overall this is a nice hotel to stay in, be in a staycation for locals or a well located hotel for the overseas visitors. And definitely I will want to check out its other room in the near future.

Room Tip: Choose a higher floor for the scenery
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
David-PARKROYAL, General Manager at PARKROYAL on Pickering, responded to this review, May 11, 2013
Dear hawick,

Thank you so much for your thgrough review. I'm pleased you enjoyed all the greenery as well as appreciated the design of your guest room. I agree that the 5th floor outdoor terrace is pretty special for a city centre hotel. Glad you enjoyed it! It's one of my favourite areas in the hotel as well. Thanks again....David

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (493)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed May 5, 2013

PARKROYAL on Pickering Road definitely lives up to the expectation being their Luxury Collection.

Entire building was nice, modern and designs were eco-friendly. However, both check-in and check-out took much longer-than-expected despite zero queue. They seemed occupied and therefore the only conclusion will be - inefficient.

Everything else, from room (wardrobe and bathroom), very large size bed to swimming pool were tastefully designed. Club Lounge had a nice library feel to it, but lacked privacy. Also, noise from tv and echo from staff chatting away were extremely annoying.

If you are looking for a hotel with great centralised location to Chinatown, Clarke Quay and MRT (train service), this is the hotel to stay if the price is right for you.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear LuxJw,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. While I am happy to read you enjoyed the beauty of the hotel, I was disappointed that our service fell short. I appreciate you letting us know of your slow check-in and check-out experience. That's not acceptable and I will be sure to understand why it took so long and work with our team to streamline the process. Thanks again, and it's also nice to know you appreciated our central location!....David
Hong Kong
Reviewed May 1, 2013

My mom and I had a nice stay in the hotel for three nights in April. The location is convenient, close to MRT station, Hong Lim food market and Chinatown Point. It is easy to get around by taxi, and literally, nowhere in Singapore is far away.

The services are friendly, and I have received warm hospitality from luggage attendants, check in counter, restaurants, service hotline and laundry. One point to comment is the house keeping staff have not cleaned the tea cup that the tea left in the morning stayed at the same place when we were back at night.

The architectural design is sleek and the curvy layers of decoration features give the building an impressive signature. It can be remembered deep in mind and recognized easily from afar. Being situated on a long plot of land, the hotel has her rooms spread along the long side. With the lift core located in the middle, we need to walk a bit long way to our room which is at the end of the corridor. The corridor is partly semi outdoor (covered but both sides open). I would guess that it may not be sufficient to shelter oneself from Singaporean rain splash. Also, along the way, we can look into those rooms which are 90 degrees abutting the corridor through the window of these rooms. It is a big privacy problem that those guests may need to wind down the blind so as not to be exhibitionist! The public area near the lobby is nicely furnished that many small pocket spaces are created for small groups. This maybe one of the details for those on business trip which the hotel is targeting on.

Our room is an Orchard Club Room on L13, and is a bit small than expected. Thanks to the full height window, the view is broadened to enhance spaciousness. The bed is big and comfortable. The furniture is new, simple and the wide use of timber gives a warm and cozy touch, but the Management may need a serious mind on long-term maintenance. It is nice to find sockets near the writing desk and bed-side cabinet. My mom likes the clock (not digital) very much. The day and night blinds are good that the outside light can be shielded off totally. It would be even better if the control button can be relayed at bedside. I need some times to get used to the touch control for the light / AC switches which otherwise is a little bit difficult to use. The TV channel selection is limited for non-English-speaking guest, like my mom, but sufficient otherwise. My room rate covers all the non-alcoholic drinks and snacks in the mini-bar. However, amongst these, I have only choices from a bottle of mineral water and orange juice. The remaining are a few cans of coca-cola and sprite which are not my cup of drinks!

The bathroom is small that no bath tub can be accommodated. Two sliding doors are used to close off the bathroom area from the bedroom. No lock is equipped for the two sliding doors that may make some inconvenience to non-couple guests like us. The water closet is entered through the bathroom area via another sliding door, again, without lock. The shower cubicle is of good size and the water temperature and pressure are good. The toiletries are of good quality.

We have choices to have breakfast on the Club Lounge on L16 or the all-day dining restaurant, LIME on L1. We tried both but like the Club Lounge more. The view is more open. The food quality is better although the choice is quite limited. The service is more attentive. However, the overall spread of food in both outlets is limited for the price we are charged. May be this is Singaporean standard and I can get much better varieties and qualities at a Bangkok hotel at a much lower cost.

The pool and gym are on L5. The colorful cabanas floating on the pool or hanging outside the pool are interesting. The pool is small for laps but sort of big enough to just soak oneself under the hot sun. The infinity edge reflecting the waterfront skyline is nice. The gym is well equipped for cardio or weight training. I can see no attendants during my three visits to the pool and gym. Nobody would collect the used towels of the left guests. In one morning (10 am), one staff was vacuum cleaning the pool which is quite annoying. Should there be a better time for that?

The overall service of this newly open hotel is satisfactory but would be better if it is less pricy ^.^

Room Tip: Avoid rooms with a view from public corridor
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
David-PARKROYAL, General Manager at PARKROYAL on Pickering, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Dear yhplan,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such an extensive review of our new hotel. I sure future guests will find your comments particularly helpful! While you have highlighted many positive elements of our hotel, I have also taken note of the areas you feel can be improved upon. It is these comments that allow us to continually improve. I was disappointed to hear there was no attendant at our pool area while you were there and will be inquiring as to why. There should be an attendant available throughout the day for poolside food and beverage service as well as to assist our guests with towels, water andat the fitness centre. I'm particularly happy to hear you Mom liked our bedside clocks. They are simple, somewhat retro by design and very easy to use. They are my favoutite as well. Thanks again....David
Jakarta
Reviewed April 30, 2013

Stayed recently for a night while on a business trip. Was given a room on the 11th floor that was accessible via an open air corridor, similar to the concept at Crowne Plaza at Changi Airport T3. The check-in process was pleasant and quick. Was a bit surprised at the size of the room which is much smaller than other hotels of similar class/price but overall that did not detract from the fact that it was a comfortable room. Everything worked as it should and no complaints about cleanliness of the room and bathroom (which is a wee bit small).

I had wanted to get my suit pressed and ready before an early meeting the next morning but found this to be not possible as the hotel outsources their laundry services and it takes an entire day before your stuff gets returned to you. This is very inconvenient for a business traveler. Also, I had selected which newspaper I had wanted in the morning but this was not delivered. Annoying but not a deal breaker.

Location of the hotel is a plus. It's a short walk away from the Chinatown MRT station and right next door to Chinatown Point.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank OliK75
Dear Olik75,

Thank you for your review. I'm happy to hear your overall experience was positive but disapointed we were unable to press your suit in time for your early morning meeting. While we do outsource our laundry, we have made arangements for rush services which I am surprised we were unable to accomodate. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. By the way, our Superior Rooms are all about 29 square metres but our Deluxe Rooms offer 34 square metres and are only $20 more per night. If you like a larger room with a bathtub, you may wish to try one of them on your next visit. You are very observant in comparing our hotel to the Crowne Plaza at Changi Airport. Although the design is completely unique, there definitely are some similar characteristics since both properties were designed by world-renowned and Singapore-based architects, WOHA. Thanks again....

David
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 28, 2013

I loved this hotel.

The room was fabulous, large with a great view across the city. I was travelling on business and was pleased to see it had a large desk to work on and plenty of good light. The room and bathroom were clean and of a high standard - I had travelled a long way and it was a pleasure spending time in the room when resting!

The hotel food (I had room service and breakfast) was excellent. Breakfast had the largest selection I have seen, from the traditional hot and cold options to more local Asian options such as soups and sticky buns.

All staff I came across - whether in the restaurant, reception or concierge, were friendly and very helpful.

The hotel is in a great location near the downtown and marina, and around the corner from the Chinatown MRT station. I stayed here as I was working nearby, but also recommend it as an option for visiting Singapore on holiday.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Helen D
Dear Helen D,

Thank you for your review. Sounds like our new hotel was a great fit for your needs. I am very pleased we met your expectations and look forward to welcoming you back. Thanks for sharing your photos as well! Regards....David
Kuching, Malaysia
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Hotel is located in a great location and behind the hotel is the newly renovated Chinatown Point and Hong Lim Food Centre. Within a few steps you can reach Chinatown MRT station. Getting a taxi is also not an issue as you can always approached the friendly concierge guy to help to get a taxi at no additional charge.

Throughout my stay from 29 March to 03 April 2013 I was allocated a deluxe room at 6th floor with open concept at the corridor and surrounded with water feature and greenery. The room was big enough for my family and the king size bed is comfy while air-conditioning is working great.The room was equipped with a 40 inch Samsung flat screen TV and come with lots of programme. Breakfast was great and I managed to try the buffet lunch before leaving for Changi Airport.

Overall this is the best ever hotel i have stayed so far.

Room Tip: Hotel easily accessible by public transport and room equipped with USB port to charge your power hun...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
David-PARKROYAL, General Manager at PARKROYAL on Pickering, responded to this review, May 4, 2013
Dear dpmy05,

Thank you so much for you positive review. It sounds like you found one of our neighborhods many hidden gems - Hong Lim Food Centre directly across the street from the hotel. Whenever you are looking for an authentic taste of Chinatown, you don't have to venture far! We look forward to seeing you again....David