“Newly opened but need improvement.”

PARKROYAL on Pickering
Ranked #20 of 312 Hotels in Singapore
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Newly opened but need improvement.”
Reviewed February 12, 2013

I stayed here from Feb 9~12th in deluxe room. It was during the chinese new year. I encountered problem before going to the hotel. I requested them to receive packages on behalf of me and no one came back to me for a week. I even called 3 times and wasn't settled. I emailed to their email address on their website and finally got a reply from Ms. Shelly Tan (operation manager). She apologized (no one apologized even when I called) and was very prompt with her reply. She even informed me there will be road closure around china town. I was very happy with her informative services.
I stayed in room706. No bath tub. Yes, no. Was disappointed as I wanted to relax...brought my own bath oil. The shower pressure is slightly lower than the typical hotels. Hot water was good. The bathroom (?)...I couldn't call it as a room as it's a open concept and there are 2 sliding doors to partition from the bed. If you need counter space to put your toiletries, it's not enough. There is a weight scale/hair dryer/all the essential toiletries.
The fridge is full of alcohols and chocolate bars. If you need to use the fridge, you have to take all the items out. There are wine glasses, mugs, tea/coffee and coffee presser/electrical kettle.
There are day/night blinds switch which is located near to the window. I wish there's another switch near the bed.
I realized on the 2nd day that the housekeeper only made up the bedsheets without changing. The wrinkles on the sheets were visible. As I only stayed for 3 nights, it's ok but I'm also paying for it. The aircond temperature was cold (for me) and tried to turn it off but it turns on automatically that I had to call the concierge to change the setting.
The pick up guests/taxi stand area...there's no wheelchair ramp (that I know). It's about 3 plus steps...Plus the carpets that they use is very hard to pull your suitcases.
There s a mini bar near the concierge and ordered margarita...wasn't good.
Overheard locals who had their reunion dinner there..complaining about the taste. I didn't try so I can't fully agree.
As a Pan Pacific regular for many years, I still prefer pan pacific (though this ParkRoyal is also a Pan Pacific group). The price difference is only SIN$30 or less.
There is a MRT (Chinatown) closeby.
On the 5th floor, there're gym/infinity pool. Sauna will be opened from Feb 18th. The bird cages resting areas are interesting.
Note: From the lift to the room, you have to pass through a walkway which is an open concept (got roof but one side of the wall is opened). It was a raining season so I got wet as the wind was strong.
Lots of plants

Room Tip: If you want to fully control the aircond, ask the concierge.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank luluchan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (485)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed February 11, 2013 via mobile

First stay at this fantastically designed hotel in Singapore city. Rooms were brilliant as were the meals. The staff service was most friendly especially at the Club Lounge. It had a refreshingly new design to the pool and gym area! Can't wait to check out their Spa facilities once they are up and running. :-D

Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 11, 2013

My friend and I stayed at the hotel from 11-12 February 2013.

1) The mini bar in our assigned room (0735) was not properly checked. Upon inspection, we found a half-eaten Snickers bar, a half-emptied orange juice bottle and an empty mineral water bottle. This is despite the room service staff checking the mini bar just as we entered the room.

2) An unused packet of condom was also found in the left bedside drawer.

3) Later on, upon our return from the gym, the room was warm even though we had left a card inserted to cool the room. Adding on to this, there was no service staff/instruction manual in the room to help explain the use of the system.

4) Adding on to the above point, there was also no instruction manual in the room (like most other hotels) providing the various access numbers. We resorted to walking down to the front desk to lodge our complains because it took a very long time before any receptionist picked up my call.

5) The new room that we were transferred to welcomed us with a plate of complimentary mandarin oranges and 2 hong baos with chocolate gold coins inside. This showed us that our previous room had probably not been checked properly because these items were missing from the room. This is despite the fact that we had not rushed the hotel for an early check-in.

6) Lastly, we were "upgraded" from a 7th floor room with a city view of South Bridge Road and Chinatown, to a 10th floor room with a view of plants, neighbouring rooms and a little view of the city.

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank kfka
Kuching, Malaysia
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Centrally located and close to the river, museums, Marina bay and Sands the new ParkRoyal Hotel has opened it's doors. Well worth staying here for bussiness and pleasure! high end service of the staff, creative design and great breakfast. Best is the location as it is walking distance from Marina Bay and restaurants and pubs.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with see view!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed February 10, 2013

The building itself is already awesome, I thought I'd give it a try. When i arrive, staff was friendly, greeted me with a friendly smile, and escort me to the check in counter.

It was not so busy, it was quite surprising because it's chinese new year eve, expect it to be in a mess because it's newly open, and should be crowded in the lobby. Get my room earlier than expected, it was 11am, and this staff name Robin checked me in, fast and knowledgeable. From what i can see, he's the only chinese staff that was working during chinese new year period.

Room was awesome, bed was very comfortable, it's very environmental friendly and it's a non smoking hotel, internet was fast, the standard of the room was more than what I've expected. Spend most of the time in the room, internet was fast, around 25+ channels in the TV, enjoyed myself even though I stayed in the room the whole day.

Never get to eat at Lime restaurant as it was fully booked, food looks tasty but never get to try it, and there was nothing around chinatown because all shop are close during this period. It looks happening though.

Check out was a bit slow, there was a queue for all 3 counters, a lady shouted in the lobby cause waited for too long. Robin was there, escort her to another counter, check her out less than 5 minutes, and greeted the guest Happy Chinese New Year with a big smile even though the guest was nagging him whole time during check out. Can see he's well trained by the management.

Beautiful Hotel + Professional Staff = A Place Where You Would Consider a Home Away From Home.

Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank DaphneJess
Male
Reviewed February 8, 2013

I've stayed at the Park Royal on Beach Road some years back and since the new hotel opened, I thought I'd give it a try.

Arrived at hotel early morning and was shocked that the bellman did not offer to take my luggage inside. I stood there for a few seconds expecting him to take the luggage and give me a tag for it but he indicated to me to take it inside and I so I had to drag it inside.

Check in was at 2 but after bit of 'negotiating', they allowed me to check in to a temporary room which was much appreciated. Felt that the guest service associates at the front desk were under training but the duty manager later came and everything was smooth.

We stayed in a junior suite and the view is breathtaking. The room is large with a separate 'living' area and glass all around. The view was excellent. The room has modern amenities and well and comfortably furnished. One thing I noticed however, was that the air conditions switch off after some time when you leave (the hotel seems very environmentally friendly), but the downside to this is, as the room has glass walls, when you come back in the afternoon with the aircons off, the room is very heated and stuffy, bit like the green house effect.

There was no room service menu and we called and asked and were told that menus were not ready yet! Also, calls to the service line went unanswered for quite a while. Whereas its nice to have a 'one stop' service line, a constant message the operators are currently busy does not help.

The hotel just opened about a month ago, and these glitches I guess are to be expected. Once they overcome these, I'm sure they can offer an excellent travel experience to its guests. I think I'll come back in few months time and see how it is.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank mshahdy
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed February 8, 2013

The only way to describe this hotel is that it is an Oasis in the city. It was such a pleasure to be at this hotel which is at the heart of the city near China town and the Central Business District yet to be insulated from the hustle and bustle that goes on outside. The room that I was in had stunning views of the cityscape of modern Singapore. The great care taken in the design is seen in the unique skywalks which intersperse the open air with the airconditioned walkways of the hotel; all the way to the china in the hotel restaurant - Lime. I did not realize until my wife pointed out to me, that the teapot and teacups had a recess for my fingers to land so that I could lift the teapot and teacup comfortably(see picture). The breakfast selection is well over 100 items and we were spoilt for choice. The service staff at breakfast were attentive and friendly - especially Mohandas who was ever ready with a quick smile and was so helpful throughout our stay there. The free and fast internet was a real treat as well as I downloaded several 3-5MB file attachments in seconds. The hotel has a funky pool area with these tall cages that look like they were from a Dali painting. The gym is small but functional. Overall, I truly hope that this hotel maintains its quality as it ramps up its occupancy. It did not show any of the teething problems that I would have expected in a newly opened hotel. I am very much looking forward to my next visit there.

Please indicate if you found this review helpful.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business