“Simplistic and Classy”

The Black Sheep Cafe
Ranked #3,478 of 10,791 Restaurants in Singapore
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Small Cafe-Restaurant Open since 2006.Chef & owner operated.That has thrived by purely word of mouth.
“Simplistic and Classy”
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Tucked in an unlikely place in Singapore is a nondescript cafe or restaurant that seats thirty people. It's name is rather cute: the Black Sheep Cafe. My friend came upon this and suggested we try it.
It is on Mayo Road , but I was told it will move by end of September if it serves me right to Gillman Village, off Alexandra Road (Singapore), which will include a wider variety of foods.
The cafe is quaint and cosy. The recommended dishes to try are the Lamb Shank and the Pork Cheeks. If you are really ravaneous, the Lamb Shank will be ideal . The meat is well soaked in its gravy though I would have liked it a tad softer. The accompaniments mainly mashed potatoes were not so exceptional but good enough to have me finish them. The skills of Chef Ratha, who hails from Singapore, trained in Singapore, are mentionable. His effort to keep current and experiment with the different tastes is remarkable.
You can see this in his other dish the Pork Cheeks, deep fried and not too salty. I was deeply surprised that the pork cheeks were quite a generous portion. The potatoes were sliced and fried and he made the whole dish so well balanced with the variety of vegetables.
We ordered the Baked Brie which I think for the cafe, is a good starter if you do not mind the nuts in them. I didn't think much of the orange bits with salad leaves next to it. But you can tell he made effort with the presentation.
Desserts we tried were the obligatory Tiramisu which had a very light layer of lady's fingers ( a light cake which you hardly notice) and a generous portion of liquor. The other was Baked Souffle accompanied with the dollop of vanilla ice cream. I have nothing negative to say here too but my tummy was certainly warmed by it.
There were only one Chef , two waiters and they certainly run the ship well. We did not have to wait too long for our dishes to be served. Throughout the period we were there, there were always four to five tables occupied (10 pax) inclusive of us. I would certainly come back again and try their expanded menu . Stay tuned. Pics in www.moleonmouth.blogspot.sg

• Visited September 2012