“Everything you need, nothing fancy”

5footway.inn Project Bugis
Ranked #62 of 244 Specialty Lodging in Singapore
Reviewed March 11, 2014

We booked this hostel based on the fact that they have a rooftop terrace, and private rooms. My companion and I both work in the tourism business in Thailand so we weren't looking for a very social place, hoping just to enjoy each others company. That was fine, there didn't appear to be much of a social atmosphere anyways. The room was very small, but fine for what we needed, and the least expensive private room you will find in Singapore. The bathrooms were also fine, and obviously tended to throughout the day. Staff spoke excellent English wish is not a requirement but a bonus. The rooftop terrace was smaller than it appeared in pictures but suited our need for a space to smoke and drink our duty free wine just fine. The only real hiccup in our stay was when we bought our tickets to Universal Studios from the front desk, and upon arriving at Universal found out we had only been given the food vouchers, not the actual tickets so we were denied entry. The park called 5footway.inn and explained. We ended up buying our own tickets for less money (but without the food and attraction vouchers included in the deal at the hostel) and they refunded us when we got back for the evening. It really wasn't a huge deal, as we still got into the park and had an awesome day. The woman working in the evening who processed our refund was apologetic and explained the staff who had helped us in the day time was new. She offered to do our laundry for free to make up for it but we assured her it was not a problem! The included breakfast was again basic but good. Toast, cereal and fruit. The coffee machine that is available 24 hours was a great plus.

Over all, we had a fine stay. Everything we needed but nothing fancy. I would stay here again.

Oh - the location is fantastic. Arab st is amazing and I could have spent my whole holiday walking around exploring the different side streets. It's a colorful area and it appears it's always humming. Not in a night clubby way but in a great food, great pubs, tons of culture kind of way :)

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Red_Bird85

Reviewed March 2, 2014 via mobile

Booked in 5 rooms for 14 people from booking.com. Made confirmation right after and receive confirmation not too long after.

We arrived in 2 groups: friday and saturday.

Rooms were well prepared by the team: Aaron Tan, Yulin and Nadia.

Rooms are clean! Ac works well. The private rooms are great! Bathroom are clean and double rooms are quite spacious. U can bring small suitcases and still have space.

Location is awesome! Near by to MRT nicholls highway (5mins walk). Direction provided on the web are accurate. Location is also near to haji lane and arab lane (local shops and coffee shops to hangout). At night is quite silent but there is a thai disco next to it. Walls in the room are quite thin but still bearable. Breakfast area are clean and shared bathroom are clean as well.

Overall happy to stay here and will come back again. Would recommend it to other budget traveller.

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed March 2, 2014

This is the first time i stayed in a backpacker hostel. Overall, i would say it was okay. The rooms were clean, bathroom was ok, with hot and cold water. There's free coffee, milo etc in the pantry (although they run out of stocks later in the day).

The staff are friendly and helpful too, which i always find positive when i stay in hotels/hostels..

What i didn't like though was the loft type beds that are too high. Not so convenient.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 20, 2014 via mobile

I'm awake in this filthy room at the moment, it's 4am. The only thing that is keeping me going is that I'm checking out in 8 hours. I reserved a single room with a bathroom, no windows. This apparently is a perfect setting for black mold spores to grow. I'm pretty sure I've developed an upper respiratory ailment because all I've been doing for the last 5 hours is cough to the point that I'm spitting out a bit of blood (I'm not exaggerating here). There's also an industrial sized air freshener that pumps some noxious "pleasant" odor into the air every few minutes which is scary because a) I'm not sure what smells its covering and b) it sends me into another coughing fit. There's music pumping from the club next door which ended at about 2am. Doors are paper thin and hostel goers are loud. Despite the fact I booked a single room I ended up with bunk beds, which was lucky because I had to play that "which bed sheets have less blood on them" game (upper bunk won). I'm sick, tired and dirty from being in this place. Just terrible.
Positive: free bread in the morning.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank amtlza
Reviewed February 15, 2014

This is a nice hotel. It's centrally located and clean, with plenty of eateries abound, mostly middle eastern or indian halal food, with a sprinkling of chinese and singaporean food, and plenty to see withing walking distance. For die-hard shoppers, a walk around the area will yield interesting finds, especially in the nearby Arab street and Haji street. The night life here in also amazing, ranging from karaoke bars to jazz clubs or simple side street cafes. The hotel is also very accessible by MRT (Nicoll Highway stop and Bugis Junction stop), and bus running on Beach road and North Bridge Road. The free hot drinks and cold water are a plus point, and the staffs are always ready to give you info on where to eat, where to go or how to get somewhere. The front desk is rarely unattended, even in the middle of the night. Somebody will always be there to assist you at any hour of the day.

The only drawback is that the rooms have no window whatsoever and they are really small! One of my friends was claustrophobic so she had to switch to a nearby hotel whose rooms have windows. Another annoying thing is that if you get a room on the third floor, you have to walk down to the second or first floor since all bathrooms and toilets are on the second and first floor. The triple room is not really triple, but a bunk bed with a quuen bed on the top bunk and a single below. And my pet peeves is that the rooms have no clock, so I never knew whether it was already morning or still dawn, no sunlight coming in to greet me in the morning.

So, if you only need a place to sleep at night and stash your stuff, this place is excellent! With the price they charge, it is actually over the value. However, don't expect more than a comfy bed to sleep.

Room Tip: Splurge for a deluxe room, so you can have your own bathroom. When you travel with three people, boo...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 10, 2014

The bad:
- The 4-bed room (2 bunk beds) was like a prison cell - no windows, neon lights, a dirty old carpet and a loud fan humming throughout the night. The bathroom was disgusting: sewage smell and moskitos coming out from the floor drain.
- Breakfast: very basic. Coffee machine damaged, only producing watery liquid. If the only jug of milk is empty, go downstairs to inform reception. Wash your dishes yourself.
- The place is a mess. Stuff is stored everywhere in the stairs and corridors.
- WiFi connection has poor coverage.
- Cash only. Credit card would cost 5% extra.
- It's an inn, not a hotel - true to its name. But I have stayed in youth hostels which were much nicer than this, for a fraction of the price...

The good:
- Staff friendly and tried to help as good as they could.

Room Tip: Avoid the 4-bed room with private bath.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank anorak22
Reviewed February 1, 2014

3 days in 5footway.inn hostel. having a good time here.
1.we booked standard triple room (1 single bed & 1 queen bed) in 3rd floor w/ shared bathroom but it is clean & sweet-smelling. btw, they've a good wifi connection :D
2.in the morning, you get a free breakfast (toast w/ various jams, cereal, fruits & various drink ex.mineral water, tea, milo, coffee, latte) at the balcony. for drink, you can get it 24hr. (other public facilities: washing machine, refrigerator,etc)
3.the staff was very friendly & helpful. thanks to Nadya, Chris,etc. (see you soon in Indonesia Nad, haha).
hope to get back here, hihi. love this place ♡

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends