“Nice room and friendly staffs”

5footway.inn Project Bugis
Ranked #63 of 225 Specialty Lodging in Singapore
Jakarta, Indonesia
“Nice room and friendly staffs”
Reviewed January 27, 2014

I went to Singapore for 3 days 2 nights with my friends. Looking at review on tripadvisor is very useful and we decided to choose 5footway.inn Project Bugis as our accommodation for the first time. The place is not far from MRT station, only 10 to 15 minutes walk and a lot of restaurants/foodcourt/cafe surround the place. You also can reach bugis street in 30 minutes walk.
We booked 2 rooms, Deluxe Twin Private Ensuite and Standard 3 Bed Private (Shared Bathroom). The size of rooms are quite small, but it is CLEAN and not smelly. Even though, we got shared bathroom, it is also clean. Furthermore, the balcony was good place to spend your leisure time in the morning while having breakfast and chit chat with your friends. In addition to that, they provided coffee, teh tarik, milo for 24 hours, however, we often run out of milo in the afternoon (maybe it's the favorite one).
When check in, there were 2 staffs, Nadia and Maya, who helped and informed us where is the nearest place to find food and direction to interesting places. Thanks a lot to both of them :)
Lastly, I would suggest if they can put prayer direction in each room as it is very useful for us as moeslim, add more choice for rooms (ex: triple rooms with attached bathroom) as it will be convenience for girls to have ensuite bathroom, and it will be better there is one locker in our Standard 3 Bed Private room.
That's all from me and hope you guys will have fun at 5footway.inn Project Bugis like us :)

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed January 27, 2014

Upon check in, the staff was friendly even showed me around and escorted me to my room. Room is small, apart from bed, there is only a small locker but simple and clean. Bathroom amenities is good enough. 5footway.inn located near to town and surrounded by lots of eateries and convenience store. Love the courtyard on level 2, can enjoy sunshine in the morning during breakfast time and can have a good rest after a long day but the building behind is under constructions therefore will be expecting a little bit of noise when resting at the courtyard during day time.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 27, 2014

Our trip to Singapore was amazing in spite of this hideous place! What a complete dump!

First of all I must point out that one member of staff - a young, very petite lady with shoulder length hair was wonderful and helpful and this review in no way reflects her work and the wonderful check in she gave us.

From that moment on it went horribly downhill. The room was supposedly a double with a shared bathroom, it was in fact a bunk bed room with bunk beds that nearly fell over when you climbed up onto them. There was very little space in the room at all and the walls were paper thin so we were kept up by the screaming kids who were put next door to us.

The air con worked fine but that's about as much as I can say for it. The sheets were filthy too.

The bathrooms were downstairs on a different floor and were beyond filthy every day - they were disgusting. There was not enough bathrooms for the amount of people and they stank. Also the showers were mostly in with the toilets, there was only one separate toilet and it was obviously always in use because there was not enough of them.

The roof terrace was ok but got very crowded for breakfast which was basic but fine. Don't drink the coffee from the machine - it is disgusting.

We wanted to do some laundry and were told that we could leave it with reception to be done and then returned. We waited until our final day as we wanted to get as much done at once as possible and when we asked the very rude girl on reception told me we had to do it ourselves and buy soap powder but she would tell me how to do it. But she then added that there was someone else wanting to use the one machine before me and i could either do it right at that moment and it takes 3.5 hours to wash and dry - it was our last day and we had a booking for a tour so we couldn't or not at all. I explained that we had been told something different the day before and she just shrugged and said "either now or not at all" - thank you for your wonderful service - not!

We also told them at check in that we needed to check out very early in the morning we were leaving for a 7am flight. They said we could just call a cab at that time but then when we went down the lady there said it would take at least 30 mins and we luckily grabbed one that was dropping off late night party people in the street!

Most of the staff cannot speak English and aside from the one lady I have mentioned the service was terrible.

So to sum up, filthy, terrible staff and generally sub-standard. Don't bother.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Singapore hotels

Belait District, Brunei Darussalam
Reviewed January 22, 2014

I like the place very clean and nice, the workers very helpful one of the girl name Nadia , when'd I need to go every where I just asking her and she help me I like it very much.places near to MRT. Muslim people easy find for Muslim food.will booking again when I travel to singapore

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed January 11, 2014

Stayed from 5 Jan - 7 Jan 2014.

I checked out my booked room on 27 Dec, about a week before my check-in. A receptionist was talking angrily about the layout of the room to his boss while checking out for a guest. This receptionist showed me the room and candidly told me my bunk bed for 2 has converted into a bedroom for 1 because that room was too small for 2 people.

After that, I read reviews on tripadvisor (duh! I know) that most guests complained about the small space. I was alarmed but I couldn't possibly book a room with Park Royal so I accepted the fact.

IN THE ENSUITE ROOM

The room was really small. You could only open the door from the outside up to 45 degree, not the usual 90 degree or 180 degree. I hope you get the drift.

On the first day, I was not used to the short distance from the door to the bed that I knocked my forehead 4 times on the bunk bed on top. The first time I got a little shocked and stepped back only to have my back pressing against the buttons to the all the lights in the room and the bathroom and found myself in pitch dark. Very uncomfortable but very hilarious!

There was a drawer underneath the bunk bed but it was a little hard to open and close it. There were no room for a chair and table so my luggage had to be put on the floor next to the drawer which made it harder to pull it out.

Oh, but they have lovely pegs on the wall to hang your clothes. Clothes when hung there won't fall off easily.

Since I had a converted room for 2 for single occupancy, I had 2 pillows and 2 blankets which was good for me since I am more prone to feeling cold than warm. However, just one single pillow was fine. The pillow was not too soft and not too hard which was the right comfort for me. Well, I could not guarantee whether it would be still the same after some months down the road...

They had a scented air freshener which released scents periodically even when you are asleep! Mmm...I feel that it is better if they could install an air dehumidifier like the one I experienced in STAR Hostel in Taipei.

The housekeeper came in daily to switch off the air con which I usually won't switch on but it was really stuffy in the room and even along the corridors due to the fact the hostel was a converted old shop house. Despite me informing the receptionist to remind the housekeeper not to switch off and upon clarification, there was no need for extra charges to leave the air con, it was switched off every day.

I kept waking up on my first night because I was not used to the noises around the corridor. After all, I was sleeping almost next to the corridor...

IN THE BATHROOM

Usually, I won't elaborate on the bathroom but I feel that I should write about it.

I like the huge and long mirror in the bathroom and easy access to liquid soap and shampoo without having to cut through a bathroom curtain. I know most European and Americans won't like this design without a bathroom curtain but it suits me very much. The hot shower didn't die out. Water pressure was on the lower side but not too bad.

The drawbacks are a very small washing basin which was really meant for kids like those you see in some MacDonald's restaurant. When I washed my face, I felt my feet were getting a rinse. I didn't also like the rack on top of the toilet because I felt I would carelessly drop my things into the toilet when I took off my glasses. There were also no rack above the basin to put your toiletries so you had to put them on the washing basin. At the same time, I had to be careful not to knock into them when I took off my glasses to wash my face.

LOCATION OF HOSTEL

It was near to Park Royal which was the point this time. I didn't have to bother myself with nearby convenience stalls, dining places or supermarkets since I am not really travelling.

Well, if you will like to know, there is a 7-eleven along the street behind the hostel. There is a 1950s dining place just diagonally opposite the hostel too. There are several dining places down the entire street. I was looking for an alarm clock so I took a walk down the street and found 2 supermarkets. The entire district at night seemed to be quite shady. I met a local who was staying there while waiting for his new apartment to get ready who told me he met with a snatch theft while lying down asleep just outside the main entrance of the hostel ! Yet, he didn't find the district unsafe as compared to other housing estates in Singapore. I begged to differ.

OTHERS

I didn't use their Wi-Fi so much since I forgot to bring my mobile charger. I relied on their in-house computer terminals which were Mac! They were fast with huge screens. I like! There were no long queues probably because they didn't put chairs there so no one really hogged the terminals. I like!

Except for one rather absent-minded receptionist who was nonetheless warm, most I met were helpful and could provide answers to my questions.

I checked out at about 9am in the morning of 7 Jan but the receptionists allowed depositing my luggage until 7pm. I had a break from my business at Park Royal at lunchtime so I had nowhere to go except back to 5footway.inn. Yet, the receptionist welcomed me back and I spaced out at the "living room" for a while. Thank you! I will like to give 5 star ratings for the staff, though.

Happy to share more here: http://happyhealthysg.blogspot.sg

Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Yala City, Thailand
Reviewed January 1, 2014

Last weekend me&friend were there. It's firs time backpacking of us.
My room is clean and soft ^^
Your service is excellent. Thank for all help us :)
Next time i'll back again ^^
Suhaila (Thailand) A9 :: 28-31 Dec 2013

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Quezon City, Philippines
Reviewed December 30, 2013

We stayed in 3 rooms - 2 Delux Quad Rooms and 1 Delux Triple Room. Rooms were clean, airconditioner was cold enough, beds were good and cozy to sleep on. They even have a comforter blanket which makes sleep even better. Showers are hot enough, and toilets were clean. Shampoo and soap is freely available, and they even provide tissue rolls daily for free. Towels are also free, but replacing them would incur a 2SGD charge.

Location is quite good, and is around a 8 minute walk from Bugis MRT. Very near restaurants and bars!

Rooms were not big but were enough if you would just want to sleep. WIFI is good and fast! WIFI signal is strong and could reach up to your room. The minor problem I see is on the Delux Quad room. The 2 Delux Quad rooms we stayed in were not the same in size! The other one was as small (or almost as small) as the Delux Triple Room then there were just 2 sets of double decker beds inside which makes it quite crowded! Also, the beds in the Delux Quad room have rails on the other side.. which makes 6-footers not comfortable. And another minor problem I see is the sockets mounted on the walls of each bed of the Delux Quad Room.. one might bump his head when he forgets that there is a socket mounted.

One more minor problem is that you can easily hear sounds/noises from outside. But we were lucky that the noise from outside didn't bother us too much.

Hotel staff are very friendly! We were accommodated by Nadia, Aaron and Eeshawn. Overall, its a nice place to sleep!

Room Tip: Deluxe Triple rooms are better than Delux Quad rooms