New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #54 of 217 Specialty Lodging in Singapore
Taipei, Taiwan
“A wonderful experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

Overall it is a great place for backpackers. Clean and spacious, the place also offers board games and books. It's a place where you can relax and have a sound sleep. The following are my likes and dislikes about the place.

Good things I like:
1. The room is well-lit, and with a window. (I enjoy sunshine coming in during the day.)
2. The room is clean and spacious. (8 people in a room)
3. The hostel provides drinking water, hangers and airers.
4. The cups and plates used for breakfast are clean and made of porcelain (instead of cheap plastic)
5. There are two shower rooms and toilets on one floor.
6. Great location-- near the MRT station.

Things I find weird or inconvenient:
1. The clerk charged me 75 SGD while the price was 74.5. I felt uncomfortable (though I did ask for the 0.5 dollar back).
2. There are no individual plugs for everyone. 8 people in a room, but only 4 or 5 plugs. Not convenient.
3. No hairdryers.
4. There are lockers, but you need to bring your own padlocks. Or you can rent from the counter ($$$).

On the whole it's a cozy place. I would recommend.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
4 Thank Jay0717

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Quezon City, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

Gusti is a good choice for solo and budget-conscious traveler. The owner Miss Sue helped us book discounted tickets plus free lunch meal voucher at US which is a great deal for us!!!!Miss Sue also helped us re-arrange our itineraries of all the places we want to visit since we were in a tight schedule and we want to maximize our stay in SG.

The room was simple & clean with nice and fresh smell. Bathroom & Shower area are always clean!! The location is perfect!! not too crowded like Little India & Bugis. It is a 5-minutes walk to Lavander MRT Station.

Be prepared to meet backpackers and all types from all over the world as it is a dormitory type bedroom (max 8person/room).

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Robert M
Paris, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

Friendly staff and lovely owner. This hostel is spotlessly clean and provides basic accommodation (although the bunks were comfy!). The dorm rooms have air-conditioning, there is a kitchen area and a fridge for the guests. Very, very close to Lavender MRT station, one stop away from Bugis Junction (a busy shopping area).
I had a lovely week-long stay at Gusti and would recommend it to friends wanting to save money on a Singapore trip.
Some negative aspects: the shower facilities are a bit small and don't have enough hooks for convenience. There was a group of young girls staying in my dorm for 2 nights who were noisy early in the morning - I did mention that to the owner and she had a chat with them. Turns out they had never stayed in a hostel before and didn't know the "rules" ;) It was all good after that.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank H D
Tallinn, Estonia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

Sue the owner is lovely, everything was done very well and this is probably the cleanest hostel I have ever stayed in. Breakfast is bread with jam or peanut butter but there are facilities to make other things. Microwave toaster and kettle as well as a fridge. Comfortable beds and air con in the rooms. Lavender MRT is about 400 m away, there is a supermarket called fair price 200 m away and a 24/7 seven 11 next door. Below Gusti is a cake shop that looks awesome but I didn't visit it.
Only two things I found challenging. 1. The area over the wash basins are not well lit and consequently it was difficult to shave and 2. the 2 shower rooms are wet room with the toilet inside the room. Sometimes people took a long time to shower leaving me with crossed legs outside or running up and downstairs to find one that was not in use.
One other thing each bed could do with a reading light.
These are minor things, this place was wonderful.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Daya101
Jakarta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

thanks for Gusti bed & breakfast for the sevices during my stay there. although only 2 nights, but very nice to rest there. Madam who greeted us was very friendly, the maids who cleaned our room was also very quick and friendly (incidentally comes from Indonesia as well as us). very satisfying. strategic location, close to lavender station. we also easy to get halal food around the hotel area. an unfortunate thing, we got a room on the 3rd floor, stairs to room a little bit difficult for us to carry the suitcase. but overall, very impressive. please wait for our arrival again, Gusti bed & breakfast!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank LarasKinanti
Manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014 via mobile

My partner and I stayed here in february and it was amazing. The staff team are so friendly polite and nice. The rooms were great spotless and affordable. Great location. I would definitely recommend staying here a lttle star in Singapore

• Stayed February 2014
2 Thank lunnnatalie
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

We were extremely disappointed during our stay last this week. We thought that the service was great when we read the review; HOWEVER, this was totally opposite.
1. When I made the booking about two months prior to our arrival date, the owner Audrey gave me a rate of 170 SGD for 7 adults which we both agreed and confirmed the reservation. However, a week prior to our arrival, she then sent me an email that an ADDITIONAL RATE of 10% will be added to the room rate WHICH IN THE FIRST PLACE SHE MENTIONED THAT RATE 170 SGD IS ALREADY NETT WITHOUT ADDITIONAL CHARGES. I just slipped it away since we will be arriving the soonest.
2. Since our flight is arriving at midnight, I inquired if their combivan which Audrey quoted at 55 SGD is already nett and if it includes midnight surcharge, she AGAIN mentioned that it is NETT WITH ALL CHARGES; however, she AGAIN sent an email a day prior to our arrival that there would be an additional rate of 10 SGD for midnight surcharge. To my upset, I cancelled automatically the car directly. I began to think that they are not consistent with what they are committing to their guests.
3. When we arrived past midnight due to the late arrival of the aircraft, we were hoping that someone will greet and help us, UNFORTUNATELY, a front desk staff RUDELY said to us that "Why did we arrive late for we wake her up at this time". Doesn't she have any sympathy, anricipation or common sense to ask if how are we on our long flight instead of being so rude?
4. When we arrive in our room, it smelled newly painted wooden bed so we have to open the window to get rid of the smell. At morning, breakfast was not clearly advised and instructed.
5. Lastly, when we paid the room, the front desk told me that the room rate is at 190 SGD (which was not the rate quoted to me through email). I told the front desk that the rate was 187 SGD (170+10%) and she yelled at me that it's 190. I then insisted the exact rate which was given by Audrey. When that rude and ugly front desk called her and passed the phone to me, I was shocked when she told me that the rate is 190 for she ROUNDED OFF the rate from 187 to 190. I then told her that she doesn't have the right to round off any rate that was not confirmed! I have been alot of hotel/ backpackers and I haven't experienced this kind of lame excuse and terrible service in my entire life!!!

So if you are planning to stay in this Hostel, well think about it over and over again!

BELIEVE ME THEY WILL RUIN YOU'RE VACATION!!!

• Stayed May 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
6 Thank darkroom_101
GustiSG, Owner at GUSTI Bed & Breakfast Singapore, responded to this review, May 22, 2014
Dear Nicole,

Thank you so much for your detailed review.

Thank you.