“Brought to you by El Bulli and Santi”
Review of Catalunya - CLOSED

Catalunya
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Catalunya is a contemporary Spanish restaurant situated at the iconic Fullerton Pavilion, floating in the heart of the Marina Bay district. Helmed by an international team of award-winning culinary experts from the likes of elBulli, Drolma, Sketch, and Santi,Catalunya‘s distinctive menu draws inspiration from authentic Spanish recipes, served with the finesse of Asian hospitality and Spanish charm. Designed by award-winning design firm AvroKo, Catalunya is seated in a unique glass-encased dome floating atop the waters of Marina Bay. We are open daily from 11am to 2am.
Singapore
“Brought to you by El Bulli and Santi”
Reviewed February 7, 2013

Well, I didn't get to try El Bulli before it closed. Oh well, not a big fan of molecular cuisine. However, love Catalan cuisine and culture, so happy to report that this is more Catalonian then El Bulli-esque. The tapas are well executed here, we tried calamari (good), potato croquettes filled with minced beef (yum), pimento peppers, a tomato foam dish (the only molecular dish we had, and thus least interesting), anchovies (too salty but order the tomato bread to go with, that's excellent), a fried egg tapa with ham (also yum) and the standout tapa, the deconstructed tortilla. No omelette I could see and mashed potato foam. A bit pretentious but so tasty I can overlook that! After that we had to share the mains, the standout suckling pig, a decent txuleta (steak) and yummy lobster rice. We were too stuffed for dessert. Cocktails were delicious. I would go back for the suckling pig and tortilla. And another cocktail. Service was pretty decent, could have been that we went at lunchtime when it wasn't full. Room was cold but they turned up the temp at my request. It's expensive, no doubt, but not more so than many other high end places in Singapore, and finally I find a place that can hold a candle to the many excellent meals I had I Barcelona! We spent about $150 per person.

• Visited February 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Singapore, Singapore
“Tapas - but oh so expensive!”
Reviewed February 6, 2013

The latest rave is tapas restaurants in Singapore - and this one has the ambience (because it is by the water) but while the food was interesting, the price was somewhat shocking. And for $80, the paella will not only leave with a hole in your pocket but the serving was atrociously small!

Unlike the usual fare (that one would get when you dine in Spain - the land of paella), the seafood paella was served in a "pot" - and seriously, would not have filled any one's belly because it was a "tapas" portion even though it was suppose to be a main. The rice was somewhat crunchy - accordingly the real texture of paella but unfortunately didn't sit too well on our palates (because we are Asians and like our rice cooked through). That said, the restaurant did not charge us for it because we returned it.

The bill for just tapas (no wine etc) came to over $380 for 4 people munching on small morsels of food. I think for the price, I can probably get better tapas elsewhere.

Visited January 2013
Singapore, Singapore
“Best Spanish cuisine outside of Spain”
Reviewed February 2, 2013 via mobile

As soon as I left this restaurant the first time I was rounding up friends to come back there with me. The food produced is so authentic, along with the service that I was transported to Barcelona- which I am sure is the chefs objective. Although I have been lucky enough to taste most of the menu the real stand out for me is the tortilla omelette deconstruction. Apart from the fact that I love the presentation in the cocktail glass the taste is reason enough to go back for more- don't intend to share this dish! Make sure you also take in some cocktails at the bar before or after your meal to get the creative experience- they will teach you how to drink Bacardi!

Singapore
“Superb.”
Reviewed January 26, 2013

Was finally able to get a reservation for dinner at 9pm one weekday in Jan 2013. Arrived early ard 830 and decided to get some cava and tapas at the bar while waiting. The bottle of bubbly was spectacular and tapas of deep fried cream ham and squid were simply delicious. What a way to build up an appetite for the main courses of lobster rice and ribeye steak. Which were undoubtedly satisfying and left us full but wanting more.

Catalunya is housed in an impressive circular pavilion along the bay of water and one gets the full view of marina bay sands directly opposite. Such energetic atmosphere in catalunya with all the awesome sight makes it a top notch dining choice.

Singapore, Singapore
“This is the best Spanish restaurant in Singapore”
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Having eaten at tickets, can fabes in sant celoni, commerc 24, abac, dos pallilos (all michellin starred restaurants in Barcelona), we consider ourselves well. Erased in both traditional as well as avant grade Spanish cuisine. Before el bulli and his merry men swept the world with their new nouveau molecular cuisine, no one is usually impressed with Spanish food. Realized a lot of complaints were related to expensive food, small portions, etc etc. we must appreciate that these tiny morsels of miracles are the perfect combination of creativity, chemistry and art. It is not cooked in large quantities aka buffet style. Every piece is individually crafted. So for those buffet lovers, spanish molecular food is not for you. Whoever has eaten the heavenly dim sum at 3 star lung keen heen at four seasons hong kong will never complain its portions are small or too exp or ingredients are not fresh. When you realize you are eating art,,,and you don't have to fly 12 hours on a $8k biz fare to eat these little same nuggets of treasures, we are grateful.

Deconstructed olives. Almost as good as those in tickets. Explosion of intense olives.

Anchovies in olive oil, jamon croquette, tortilla omelette, bikini sandwich aka el bulli, tomato tartare, lobster rice,torrija with milk ice cream.

All good, all beautifully made. THe way to enjoy it is to take a morsel and pop into your mouth, close your eyes and let your imagination run. Try to taste and guess the individual ingredients and the process that went into making each dish. Like sipping good wine vs bottoms up the China way. Not the best way to appreciate a lafite.

The restaurant is beauttiful, seem to be floating on the bay. Service staff is attentive on a weekday. And for the full experience, book in advance, sit down for a 3 hour of art appreciation, unhurried, morsel by morsel to really appreciate this. And I like the fact that the service staff have all eaten all the food on the menu and are thus conversant witH each choice incl the daily specials.

The suckling pig like all those in Spain cannot compare to our Chinese suckling pig but they have their merits. It is already very well done, just not as fine as those in min jiang or summer pavilion.

But This is the BEST Spanish restaurant in Singapore, as close to el bulli and tickets as you can get in this part of the world.

• Visited December 2012