I chose this hotel because I thought it was near Dhoby Ghaut MRT (which intersects 3 MRT lines) and the famous Orchard Rd based on google map. Guess what? It's not as close as I thought but overall, not a bad hotel.
1. Affordable. Based on my reviews of the hotels near Orchard Rd, it is one of the more affordable hotels in that area. I paid about $160/night for 3 people which includes breakfast. The standard rate in other hotels in the same area was about $180-250/night.
2. Near Museums. The hotel was just just a short block away from the Singapore Art Museum and National Museum. Normally, these museums will charge a nominal fee ($8-10/person) but there are certain times or days that entrance fee is free. For Singapore Art Museum, entrance fee is waived every Friday night while the National Museum can let you in at no cost starting at 6pm - onwards (museum closes 8pm). We went in the National Museum and they have really excellent and interesting exhibits.
3. Kopikiam across the street. This Kopikiam looks like a foodcourt frequented by nearby employees and students. It is open 24 hours, good local food, affordable meals (S$6-8) and really just across the street from the hotel.There is a 7-11 beside it. The food is okay but not really something to wow about. Some local dishes but there are also other international offering like Korean and Japanese food. I like ordering from the stall which sells duck and my mom really loved the Longan drink.
1. Street closed in front of the hotel. Apparently, they are constructing an MRT station in front of the hotel which makes it difficult for taxis to drop check-in guests with luggage. We were dropped at the side of the hotel and had to struggle with the luggage with no one to help us (even the driver). What's worst was that there was only one lane for traffic and there was an oncoming truck so we had to hurry up getting off.
2. Difficult to get a taxi. Since the road was closed, you would need to go to the next hotel (Rendevous Hotel) and que up at the taxi bay to get a taxi. But, of course, the bellhop/guard would prioritize their hotel guest first so you might have to wait a bit. I didn't see any other near taxi bays nearby. For our trip to the airport, we had to ask the Strand Hotel guard to help us find one. Even then, we had to wait about 10-15 minutes since taxis seldom pass by the hotel.
Note: There is a bus stop just some steps away from the hotel and an MRT station (Basah) a block away which only serves 1 line.
3. Limited breakfast choice. The rate for the hotel includes breakfast but you might be disappointed. It consist of 2 chicken hotdog, egg (scramble/sunny side), rice hashbrown/pork and beans. On a table on the side of the room, there is juice, tea, coffee, bread and vegetable noodle. Not bad, right? But its the same thing they offer every day so by the 3rd day, you're actually sick of seeing the food. The server don't even ask how you would like the eggs prepared, they just put the plate in front of you.
4. Have WiFi in the room and better cable channel choices.
Rooms were okay but terrible view (back of the hotel). We had to close our curtains the whole time because there was a building next door that can see into our room. Although the hotel is really near Orchard Rd, it is very far from the stores/malls. It is also a bit of a walk to Dhoby Ghaut MRT station and the road closure (will open in 2017) makes it difficult to get taxis. If you want to explore Orchard Rd and want a convenient hotel, the Strand Hotel is probably not for you.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Booking.com, Priceline and Odigeo so you can book your Strand Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Strand Hotel Singapore