2 people are viewing this hotel
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
$83
View deal
Priceline$83
Trip.com$144
Agoda.com$84
Vio.com$83
eDreams$83
Etrip$83
All reviews bencoolen st food court bencoolen mrt bus stop through agoda bathtub doorman
Selected filters
Reviewed August 24, 2012

The room was roomy and beds comfy, everything was almost nice. We had an awesome view of the botanical gardens from my room. The bathroom was kind of odd in itself as the shower is not in a separate stall rather in the same room as the tub, which is to the side. I found this to be quite odd. Slippery so be careful. We had a couple issues regarding our key card not able to read our door, but all we did instead of walking all the way to the front desk was call from the phones next to the elevator and security let us back inside our room.Baggage handling, rooms and views were good but that is all. Check-in was too slow (15 mins wait) despite not long queues. Not enough staff on reception. Public areas is too crowded and noisy for mine taste. Restaurants are not good value for money. i won't be back.

Room tip: We had an awesome view of the botanical gardens from my room.
Date of stay: September 2011
1  Thank nepaltripplanner
Reviewed August 19, 2012

Hotel Strand in Bencoolen Street is an avarage hotel, but not bad. Spacious rooms, nice staff, breakfast is quite good. Location is great, closed to famous Orchard Road, metro, bus stops.
The city is exciting, very safe, very clean, but extremely humid. Lot of sights: Little India, Chinatown, Arab Street, Colonial District, Mount Faber, Sentosa Island, Merlion etc. Raffles Hotel is great. Must go up to Westin Stamford Hotel, ca. 70 storey high, amazing view, pleasant restaurant, good cocktails. Numerous shopping plaza, reasonable prices. Excursions to Malaysia. It was my second trip, I liked it again.

Room tip: I can sleep everywhere and always.
Date of stay: August 2012
4  Thank FALATKA
Reviewed August 2, 2012

My family with 20 people, stay at this hotel 3 nights. Location is very good, very closed MRT and shopping mall, supermarket (singapura plaza), although there is a construction in front of hotel we feel not difficult to take taxi or travel to anywhere by walking and not noisy at night. Check in, check out is so fast, staff so nice.... It's good!

• Trip type: Traveled with family
9  Thank choomike99
Reviewed July 26, 2012

This hotel does not pretend to be a luxury hotel but then again nor does it charge like one. The room sizes are very reasonable for a two star hotel even if a little tired but clean. In fact the size is bigger than some expensive establishments and at the price i was pleasantly surprised especially after reading some of the reviews on this site. i always feel better when there are a couple of complaining reviews because it makes it more likely that the reviews haven't been paid for.
I was able to check in at 9am for no extra cost after a night flight from Colombo which was very appreciated and my room was at back of hotel so didnt face the street where there is a new MRT station being built.
Pro's:
Price -
Location - being close to Bras Brasah and Dhoby Gault stations plus being next to Orchard/Bras Basah rds. Short walk to Raffles City, Bugis or orchard rd areas
Service - early check in with a smile and allowed me to check out two hours late as well. Emails always promptly replied to.
Value for money. Especially when you consider what the prices are like in Singapore.

Cons:
Shower rose level is low, but i also encounter this problem in Aust and i am only 6'1"
breakfast whilst included is a little basic but then again the price is a major factor
Maids are a little enthusiastic as they were already doing my room at 9am whilst i was at breakfast one day. Should have put the DND sign out but as i was still staying another night it is just a small criticism.
Furnishings were a little dated but then again i could have paid more to upgrade but didnt.

Overall very happy i chose this hotel and i believe they deliver good value for money. The bed was comfortable and the curtains kept the room dark.

Would definitely put on my list to consider next time in Singapore.

Room tip: Odd numbered rooms do not face Bencoolen rd so do not get any construction noise.
14  Thank Greenocklife
Reviewed July 21, 2012

I enjoyed may stay at the Strand Hotel. The rooms are a little run down however they are very clean. I also found the staff to be friendly and helpful.The hotel is in a very good location and very close to the Bras Basah MRT with easy conection to anywhere in Singapore. Across the road is a 711and on the corner is a great food court. The hotel is certainly value for money considering the cost of hotel rooms in Singaore. I will stay at this hotel again when in Singapore

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple