Lowest prices for your stay
$66
Trip.com
$59
FindHotel
$48
Priceline$53
eDreams$66
All reviews food republic family room mrt station food court orchard road walking distance singapore standards exploring singapore basic amenities room size upon check public transport bras toilet soap bathtub foodcourt
Selected filters
Reviewed August 19, 2012

Hotel Strand in Bencoolen Street is an avarage hotel, but not bad. Spacious rooms, nice staff, breakfast is quite good. Location is great, closed to famous Orchard Road, metro, bus stops.
The city is exciting, very safe, very clean, but extremely humid. Lot of sights: Little India, Chinatown, Arab Street, Colonial District, Mount Faber, Sentosa Island, Merlion etc. Raffles Hotel is great. Must go up to Westin Stamford Hotel, ca. 70 storey high, amazing view, pleasant restaurant, good cocktails. Numerous shopping plaza, reasonable prices. Excursions to Malaysia. It was my second trip, I liked it again.

Room tip: I can sleep everywhere and always.
Date of stay: August 2012
4  Thank FALATKA
Reviewed August 2, 2012

My family with 20 people, stay at this hotel 3 nights. Location is very good, very closed MRT and shopping mall, supermarket (singapura plaza), although there is a construction in front of hotel we feel not difficult to take taxi or travel to anywhere by walking and not noisy at night. Check in, check out is so fast, staff so nice.... It's good!

• Trip type: Traveled with family
9  Thank choomike99
Reviewed July 26, 2012

This hotel does not pretend to be a luxury hotel but then again nor does it charge like one. The room sizes are very reasonable for a two star hotel even if a little tired but clean. In fact the size is bigger than some expensive establishments and at the price i was pleasantly surprised especially after reading some of the reviews on this site. i always feel better when there are a couple of complaining reviews because it makes it more likely that the reviews haven't been paid for.
I was able to check in at 9am for no extra cost after a night flight from Colombo which was very appreciated and my room was at back of hotel so didnt face the street where there is a new MRT station being built.
Pro's:
Price -
Location - being close to Bras Brasah and Dhoby Gault stations plus being next to Orchard/Bras Basah rds. Short walk to Raffles City, Bugis or orchard rd areas
Service - early check in with a smile and allowed me to check out two hours late as well. Emails always promptly replied to.
Value for money. Especially when you consider what the prices are like in Singapore.

Cons:
Shower rose level is low, but i also encounter this problem in Aust and i am only 6'1"
breakfast whilst included is a little basic but then again the price is a major factor
Maids are a little enthusiastic as they were already doing my room at 9am whilst i was at breakfast one day. Should have put the DND sign out but as i was still staying another night it is just a small criticism.
Furnishings were a little dated but then again i could have paid more to upgrade but didnt.

Overall very happy i chose this hotel and i believe they deliver good value for money. The bed was comfortable and the curtains kept the room dark.

Would definitely put on my list to consider next time in Singapore.

Room tip: Odd numbered rooms do not face Bencoolen rd so do not get any construction noise.
14  Thank Silvertoptravel
Reviewed July 21, 2012

I enjoyed may stay at the Strand Hotel. The rooms are a little run down however they are very clean. I also found the staff to be friendly and helpful.The hotel is in a very good location and very close to the Bras Basah MRT with easy conection to anywhere in Singapore. Across the road is a 711and on the corner is a great food court. The hotel is certainly value for money considering the cost of hotel rooms in Singaore. I will stay at this hotel again when in Singapore

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
7  Thank Fred1066
Reviewed July 9, 2012

The fact that the hotel had no record of my booking should have been enough for me to say that I would go elsewhere....

I was given a room and, as soon as I walked out of the lift, knew it was a smoking floor - it stank! My fears were confirmed when there was an ashtray in my room. I immediately asked to change rooms and the guy tried to say that I could open the window to air the room. No way. Thankfully, I was given a different room without too much trouble.

The room itself was quite big, but the bathroom was something else altogether. For a start, there was a window from the bedroom to the bathroom, which meant that there was absolutely no privacy when having a shower. As for the shower itself, it was powerful but so much so that it wastes a huge amount of water. Also, unless you're under 4ft tall, you would have to crouch underneath as it is positioned so low.

Location wise, it is near Orchard Rd, which is convenient, but there's a lot of construction going on outside.

Breakfast was a joke. I went to the self service area and had the choice of flimsy white bread which goes through one of those useless self toasting rotating things, disgusting tea, juice, (which was the best thing on offer along with some fresh fruit), and what I think was Malaysian noodles. As soon as I'd sat down I was handed a plate consisting of a fried egg, a shrivelled pink (chicken?) sausage and a hash brown and bacon which had been fried almost to death. I politely asked if I could have scrambled egg instead of fried eggs, which I don't eat, but was told that that wasn't possible. It was all revolting anyway, so I left it. However, there were other people who had chosen the noodles and had a full breakfast who were also presented with the same plate of English style rubbish. What a waste of food and they didn't even wait for you to sit down before giving it to you. These plates must have been just sitting in the kitchen for each guest, whether they wanted it or not.

In summary, I should have stayed overnight at a transit hotel in the airport or gone somewhere else. I wouldn't come back here and wouldn't recommend it either.

Room tip: Make sure you request a non smoking room when booking.
5  Thank Eleanor E