“Not your typical Peranakan restaurant”

Violet Oon Singapore
Ranked #145 of 11,865 Restaurants in Singapore
Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed April 5, 2013

I was a colleague of Violet's when we both worked for a newspaper in Singapore. I was lucky enough to have been invited for meals at her home a couple of times. They were superb. For a variety of reasons, I had not been able to dine at her pervious forays into the restaurant businesss so I made a special effort to go to her latest incarnation of her eatery. I was not disappionted.
VOK is not your typical Peranakan restaurant in which you order a variety of dishes to be shared, The menu is more akin to a Western restaurant with appetisers/starters, entrees/mains, side dishes and desserts. It does make meals more expensive but if you want cheap, you will need to go else where. That said, the food, service and ambience are worth the money.
Four of us dined there this week and we tried the dips of buak keluak and crab sambal. The former was a hit but It was hard to taste the crab in the latter. We had ayam buah keluak, babi pong teh and ngo hiang with a side of sambal bendi. The main courses came with rice and a ramekin of pickles. As the table was getting crowded we dispensed with some side plates and put the main dishes in the middle to be shared.
The buak keluak and babi pong teh passed muster but the ngo hiang and sambal bendi were outstanding. The ngo hiang was nicely crisped without being over-fried, which can kill the subtle flavours of the dish, and the ladies fingers were done just right and went well with the sambal.
VOK features some dishes not found in traditional Peranakan eateries and Violet is to be commended to daring to break out of what could be a traditionalist straightjacket. While the pulot hitam with ice-cream was a little pedestrian the bubor cha cha panna cotta was so good that another serve was considered. And we would have had we not been quite full by then.
One especially notable feature was the excellent service; the waitstaff were attentive but never intrusive. It is hard to find this level of service these days.
The only hiccough was that we had booked online but they had no record of the reservation. Someone had forgotten to check the email.
Subsequent visits are on the cards.

Reviewed April 4, 2013

Finding a good (local) restaurant in the bukit timah has been a head-scratching experience for me. I am glad there is one that I can regularly go to/recommend to my friends. The babi ponteh and nyoh hiang are definitely worth every single dollar (more the pricey end but with an AMEX card - 50% off if dining with another - woo hoo!) Parking is easy as I could easily find a lot near the private estate behind it.

Reviewed February 21, 2013

I'm a big fan of Peranakan food and expected a more Asian offering here. The Ngor Hiang is a great starter - sizable for 2 to share, and crispy on the outside, moist on the inside. It came with a lightly tossed salad. Having read so much about the pulled beef ragu ragatoni I had to try one. It didn't disappoint. A tad heavy on the seasoning, but portions are large enough to be shared.

Service was uneven. When my group first arrived they were very good at settling us in, getting water and sharing the specials of the day. Food arrived pretty quickly too. However, service went quiet towards the end of the meal. Water glasses took a while to be topped up, and having given us the dessert menu, we were left until a member of our party decided to walk up to the bar with our orders.

Pricey, but you get good quality here. Pity about the service though.

Reviewed January 18, 2013

Had an awesome experience and meal here. Staff was informative about the food options and also helped us feel relaxed. Food was a nice western peranakan fusion that settled nicely. Outdoor and indoor seating available and this is a nice treasure in bukit timah. Manager was proactive to solve customer perception issues on the spot and to create an enjoyable dining experience. We will definitely be back.

Reviewed January 1, 2013

We have eaten here twice and on both occasions enjoyed the food. I can recommend the Tuna Cobb salad (S$18), Pulled beef ragu (S$24) , chicken quesadilla (S$14), chicken curry with roti (S$21) and the Babi Pong Tay (S$19). For desserts I can particularly recommend the sticky toffee date pudding (S$12). One is enough for 2 people to share.

The menu is varied and everyone in our family can find something good to eat. There is a shepherds pie which children might like.
I have added the prices as it is not inexpensive for Singapore, but it is a little different.

The ambiance is good and although the service can be varied, depending on who you get. The first time we had good service from the senior staff but last time there were new staff in the process of being trained.
I can recommend this as a special place to try.