“Real food for real people. really Italian”
Review of in ITALY

in ITALY
Ranked #641 of 11,365 Restaurants in Singapore
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Casual, Fine Dining Offering outstanding value and quality, casual Italian cuisine, in ITALY is an expression of Chef Mario Caramella's own personality and culinary tastes. With full culinary and creative control, in ITALY is the realisation of a dream Chef Mario has quietly nurtured over an impressive 30-year career spanning Italy, Canada, UK, Hong Kong, Australia, Thailand, Indonesia and Singapore, where he was most recently Chef Patron at the award-winning Forlino Restaurant. Taking the cue from Chef Mario's warm charisma and welcoming nature, in ITALY combines an ambience of comfort and style designed by Chef Mario himself to inspire good times with great friends. A trio of communal tables placed at the heart of the restaurant, for example, beckons as an area to gather, mingle and share in the convivial spirit that defines great Italian dining.
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Been in this new Italian Eatery in Craig road a few time.. loved it from day one. No frill real good hearty Italian food .no compromise no excuses.Menu is simple traditional and really good.. bollito misto is up my alley..use to have it back n Italy and its so original and so true to tradition is nearly disarming. Wine are good and cheap in comparison to other outlets no big names but small producers and good quality at affordable price. I wonder how thry do it. My last visit got tempted with a 1.2kg Fiorentina steak .....yum better than good a great main course .charred outside and perfectly rare and warm inside.. a full meal for 4 .trow in a couple of appetized and salads. 2 bottle of wine .sharing dessert and it all came to 100 bucks each.. grappa and coffe included... I mean really where else you get this much quality for the buck.. go and try it.. if you still prefer to dish out big bucks for fluff them is only your fault...this is yhe real deal ..

4  Thank kurovero

Reviewed September 25, 2012

Made reservation for my husband birthday luncheon and requested for spinach ricotta cannelloni which was not on the menu. Chef Mario gladly made it for us and it was superb. The service, food, environment and everytng was great. Chef Mario came and checked if we were happy with everything. A chef without arrogance, humble and understand the importance of great food. Thanks for making my husband birthday a wonderful experience.

4  Thank tze lyn n
Reviewed September 22, 2012

Tried the lunchtime prix fix menu (a bargain at S$15++). The bread basket that arrived, with their signature beer bread was a good start. The soup was good too, but the pasta was dripping in tomato sauce and was not memorable. Overall, I reserve full judgment till I have had a proper a la carte-ordered food. But the place has potential.

inITALYManagement, Public Relations Manager at in ITALY, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2012

Dear Ulysses S,

Thanks so much for stopping by and trying out our Set Menu! You are right - it is a great steal,
and we like to think that it is one of the best kept secrets in the Craig Rd neighbourhood.

We're looking forward to seeing you again for our a la carte menu. Some of our must tries include the Crostino, Straciatella with Eggplant Caponata and the Gran Bollito.

Thanks again for your support and feedback - it is with review such as yours that we can only improve!

Reviewed September 19, 2012

The issue that I have with writing this review is that there is no option for rating between 'average' and 'very good'. I have erred to be generous in this instance because it seems that everyone else that has reviewed In Italy has had a significantly better experience than I did - which is not to say that we didn't enjoy our lunch, but there is no way I could honestly call this the best Italian restaurant in Singapore. And I'm wondering about the integrity of the review process in relation to this restaurant, because I have no idea how it can be ranked so highly.

The menu is very casalinga, and interesting - we opted for stracciatella with caponata and the affettato for entree, and for our main courses ravioli (a little bland - and no, I don't mean 'subtle', I do mean 'bland'), and the beef cheek with polenta (the cheek was very succulent and delicious). The beer bread is as good as everyone else has said here. The zabaglione was a little thin, but the flavour was beautiful. So overall the food was very good to excellent.

The wine list made for good reading, and there was a good range of Italian and other wines, many of which were under $100. The house pour extra dry prosecco was very good, and very reasonably priced at $12 per glass. Everything was served at the right temperature, and this is a huge bonus

The staff were very obliging, and showed the benefits of in house training. As is often the case in Singapore though, much of the advice offered seems indiscriminate, and inspired by commercial considerations rather than product knowledge.

The much praised atmosphere was lacking on the day we arrived for lunch - I'm inclined to blame the online booking service In Sing for this, because when I tried to book online for Sunday lunch, the option wasn't available, so I had to resort to a phone booking. I have no idea how many potential diners they lost due to this failure of In Sing - but there was only one other table of 4 during our visit. Finding oneself sitting in an empty restaurant is not conducive to an enjoyable visit - and I suspect that this is why I am a little grudging about awarding a rating of 'very good'.

We'll definitely give it another try, but even on its best day, I don't think In Italy is a valid alternative to Italian meccas like Oso - then again, it's half the price. So, great for a casual meal, not up there for a special occasion. We spent $350 for 2.

1  Thank mmmila
Reviewed September 19, 2012

I've been around Italy to try authentic Italian dishes and I've been trying to find something similar in Singapore but to no avail...until I stumbled upon IN ITALY.

When I first arrived during dinner time, the restaurant manager is all smiles as he opens the door for me and welcomed me in. Servers are knowledgable with the dishes as i enquire about the style of cooking and the ingredients. My water is filled up regularly as I downed it quite fast. Service is outstanding for me. Plates are cleared once I'm done.

Below stated are the dishes I have ordered on my maiden visit:

Beer Bread - A unique bread served with a sauce that goes well together with the bread. A good munch before the appetizer and main course arrive. ( Complementary )

Prosciutto - This is my personal favorite dish! It taste so good and authentic that it makes me feel like i'm in Italy. Generous serving too with tomatos onions by the side. Tempted to order more but I have to save some space for the main course. ( $18 )

Gnocchi with bolognese sauce - Hand made Gnocchi balls with bolognese sauce is mouth watering good. The meat taste so fresh that it leaves you begging for more after finishing the whole bowl. ( $18 )

Chocolate Lava Cake - I was rather skeptical when the cake arrived. It looks small, but as my fork cuts through the cake and the chocolate starts oozing out and i took my first bite, it's worth it. A MUST TRY for every chocolate fan ( $12 )

Overall, I can say it is a fulfilling and worth while dinner for around $50. What I notice is the chef himself is walking the ground and speaking to customers, I find it interesting to be able to interact with the chef himself.

As the restaurant is usually full for dinner, I got a bar counter seat, and this punk looking chef at the bar is kind enough to strike up a conversation with me thus making my dinner even better. It gives me the family feel ambience in the restaurant. From the bar, I can personally see the punk chef ( that is what I'll call him ) preparing the appetizers. See the chef in action as he swiftly prepares every dish with precision. I must say i am impressed.

This is great for business, gatherings, date, family meal. I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone local or foreigners.

P.S. They do have a special $15 lunch menu on Weekdays so you office working folks in the vicinity may wanna pop by to try some reasonably priced authentic Italian cuisine.

3  Thank Joe619