“Attention to detail shows in every dish”
Review of POLLEN

POLLEN
Ranked #224 of 11,380 Restaurants in Singapore
Cuisines: European, Mediterranean
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Marina Bay
Description: Arrive in style with our limousine buggy service from the Gardens by the Bay's arrival plaza to Pollen. Discover unique gourmet offerings thoughtfully crafted by Executive Chef Colin Buchan and his team of talented chefs. Bask in spectacular views of the Marina Bay skyline and waterfront as our experienced service professionals take care of your every need. After your meal, enjoy complimentary access to the Flower Dome and wander in the sub 20-degree Mediterranean garden replete with exotic flowers and plants. A bespoke Pollen Experience - made with you in mind.
Reviewed May 21, 2013

I have been to Pollen before, about 6 months ago, but that was lunch. This time I went for dinner and I was just as impressed.

Set in one of the two beautifully-made "greenhouse" dome in Gardens by the Bay, Pollen has an advantage over many restaurants. It is much drier in the dome so I instantly felt as if I was in Europe. The views are lovely - you can see the Singapore flyer and Marina Bay Sands.

Service was excellent; we arrived 45 minutes early and had the option to view the Flower Dome before dinner. After a short stroll we started dinner at 7pm. The restaurant wasn't as crowded as I thought it would be but I understood that it was fully booked for the evening.

My partner had the tasting menu while I ordered a few dishes from the a la carte menu. I had the "Trip to Japan - 2012" which was sublime (Hokkaido scallops on Japanese radish, with wasabi cream and pickles), and the Halibut - great, but wasn't the best I had. The presentation of the dishes were truly a delight; it reminded me of the kaiseki meals I had in Kyoto.

What I liked about the dinner was actually the bread and the starters - all very well done.

I shared desserts with my partner and it wasn't excellent, but they were still very good. We then took our wine and tea upstairs to the courtyard to enjoy the rest of the evening. It was very quiet in the dome by the time we went upstairs, and it felt as if we were having a glass of wine in a quiet bistro under the stars. Definitely a romantic date option!

4  Thank greenflubber
EsquinaPollenKSS, Manager at POLLEN, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback! We are delighted to hear that you had a wonderful experience at Pollen and enjoyed the food, ambience, service and exclusive access to the Flower Dome. It was a pleasure to have you with us and look forward to welcoming you back to the restaurant in the future!

Reviewed May 20, 2013

Online booking on Saturday for dinner for 2 on Monday was quick and easy. We turned up early to have a walk around the Flower Dome. Ambience is casual - polo shirts and jeans, bare wooden table tops, dining places at the bar, jarring music, not terribly comfy chairs. Service is friendly and not over-attentive.

Tastiness of food, and speed of serving is uneven. Complimentary sourdough bread and 3 canapes arrived quickly and were very good to excellent. One of our choices for starter was out (crab gazpacho). The squid risotto and scallop sashimi we had were inventive and excellent. We were then asked if we wanted to have a wander round the Flower Dome (like the couple next to us). We should have taken the hint as it was a long wait for the main courses. When they arrived, they were a letdown after what we had, which was delight (or something close) in every mouthful. I had the halibut. The grilled vegetables that came with it were great, and the smoked eel was a nice touch. The sea urchin cream, which sold me on the dish as halibut is not the most exciting of fish, fooled me, even though it wasn't a blind tasting. The tenderloin and beef cheek were decent and unexceptional.

Dessert (Pollen Tatin) arrived promptly and was back to expectations - delight in every mouthful.

I had two glasses of Albarino. The winelist leans towards younger vintages and less expensive areas, but there are many S$1k+ bottles with names non-geeks would recognise, for those who need that sort of expense.

Conclusions: Great location, some great food. Take the opportunity to have a walk in the Flower Dome, which otherwise charges $12 for admission. If you are looking for posh, this is not the place.

Dear Guest
Thank you for your feedback. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your experience at Pollen - in particularly the starters, desserts, service and complimentary access to the Flower Dome! We have taken note of your feedback on the main courses as well as the waiting time and have shared them with our team for future improvement. We hope that you will visit us again in the future where we can have the chance to provide you with a better dining experience.

Reviewed May 20, 2013

We visited with friends on Saturday night for my husband's birthday and was not disappointed! The four of us had the tasting menu which was delicious.....the highlight being the fish course, the flavours were beautiful. We have also dined at Esquina and Keong Saik Snacks, all 3 places are a credit to Jason Atherton.

1  Thank Foodluvver12
EsquinaPollenKSS, Manager at POLLEN, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback! We are delighted to hear that you had a wonderful experience at Pollen, and also our sister restaurants Esquina and Keong Saik Snacks! It was a pleasure to have you with us and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed May 11, 2013

The set lunch at S$55,- was excellent, service is attentive and there is a great choice of wines by the glass. Scallops in a truffle soup was full of flavor and beef cheeks superbly prepared. The great "amuses" served with our champagne already set the tone; lovely place in a wonderful setting. Highly recommended but it comes at a price if you don't choose the menu...

1  Thank FreekB
EsquinaPollenKSS, Manager at POLLEN, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2013

Dear Guest
Thanks for your feedback! We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your lunch experience at Pollen in particularly the food, service and the ambience in the Flower Dome. We look forward to welcoming you back to the restaurant in the future!

Reviewed May 8, 2013

I've eaten many times at Maze in London when Jason Atherton ran the show - a winner every time. I visited Pollen in Singapore based on this. The food was interesting and of a high standard but didn't bring 'wow' to mind - a regular occurrence at Maze. Anyhow, there's something unfair about comparing the two restaurants and so I'll stop.

The restaurant is in the botanical gardens and so the location is world class. We were collected at the taxi drop off by a member of staff who drove us through the gardens to the restaurant in a golf buggy; a great start to a great evening. The range of dishes was very good and each was clearly made with great skill and passion. I thoroughly enjoyed each dish. The wine list matches the food well - for price and range - and the services was very professional and friendly. I liked that, I hate 'professional and aloof'.

On finishing the meal, Chef Colin Buchan showed our party around the kitchens. This was unexpected but very welcomed by all. I love to see the 'engine room' and how it works. The evening finished back in the golf buggy with a full tour of the gardens - beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. A great evening.

Back to the title of my review. I am always sceptical about great chefs establishing new restaurants so geographically remote from 'headquarters'. However, in this case, I am pleased to report that it does travel

1  Thank Steven H

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback! We are thrilled to know that you had a wonderful experience at Pollen and enjoyed our personalised buggy service, dishes, wine selection, kitchen tour and our location in the Flower Dome! It was a pleasure to have you with us and thank you for letting us know that "it does travel"! We look forward to seeing you again the next time.