“High Tea in the Tiffin Room - highlight was the location”
Review of Tiffin Room

Tiffin Room
Ranked #191 of 11,762 Restaurants in Singapore
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Buffet, Reservations
Description: Dining at Tiffin Room is an essential experience at Raffles Singapore. At lunch and dinner, the curry buffet is a hot favourite both with tourists and locals alike. Expect authentic North Indian specialities, including vegetarian curries for non-meat diners. In the afternoon, the restaurant partakes in a classic English tradition and serves High Tea. Delicate morsels are arranged on a tiered tea cosy, while what does not fit is displayed as a buffet. Breakfast too is served at Tiffin Room, featuring a delectable international spread. Tiffin translates into "a light mid-day meal". Enjoying it with curry on Sunday was an essential aspect of colonial life in the early 20th century, with Raffles Singapore serving it since 1899. To recognise this tradition, the main dining room was officially named Tiffin Room in 1976.
Reviewed November 3, 2012

Raffles to me is a lovely elegant location, and I was very excited once I booked in for high tea - which was very easy to do online using their reservation service. My session was at 3.30pm and while I'll say the staff were very attentive, it was not easy to find the entrance we were to use for the Tiffin room. I also didn't enjoy queuing outside in the heat while they checked customers in, but to be fair this probably didn't take as long as I thought (it was hot so it's possible I was just overwhelmed by the heat).

I loved that my handbag got its own seat and my table had magazines... & the staff were lovely. I didn't particularly enjoy the sandwiches and wasn't really interested in the dumplings, but the tea and scones were nice and the jam was delicious. For $68SGD I'd say you are paying for the legend of the location but I knew that before I went so no surprises there. Definitely a one time experience for me.

Reviewed November 2, 2012

Having had the obligatory cocktail in the Long Bar last time thought we would try Afternoon Tea. It was beautifully presented and more than ample for two people .I did feel that tea could have been refreshed a little more readily but the food was delicious. The buffet also had a good range to select from. The setting was wonderful.

1  Thank Jackspur
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Of course Raffles is a must. With residence a bit out of our price range though we could not stay here for the four days we were in Singapore end of Sept/begin of Oct. However, we did go for afternoon tea in the Tiffin Room at Raffles and what a delight it was. Dim sum was superb and as a Brit who has a bit of a passion for afternoon tea the tea and cakes didn't disappoint either. Of course I would have definitely preferred they served loose tea but with the abundance of other goodies on offer I certainly left more than happy.

1  Thank LSMS
Reviewed October 26, 2012

Getting into Raffles through the front door (if you don't stay there) is a challenge. They filter people because everyone else wants a photo taken in the famous lobby. But we got in by asking to make a booking in the Tiffin Room.

It was tea time and didn't expect to find a table; but our request was taken, a table laid out and we were escorted to somethng wonderful.

On the table was a tiered plate, with sandwiches, cakes and cookies. There were three pots of tea, milk and crockery (of course). The place was packed out.

Our daughter has a nut allergy. We pointed this out to the attentive staff and the chef prepared some nut free alternatives for her.

At around £30 each, it was expensive - but outsttanding value just for the experience.

1  Thank Suspishio
Reviewed October 19, 2012

A visit to the Raffles Hotel should be on everyone's 'must do' list for Singapore. It is possible to visit the hotel, wander through the lovely breezeways and gardens, visit the Raffles museum and shop without splashing any cash, but on this visit to Singapore we booked in for High Tea at the Tiffin Room.

This is available daily from 3.30pm - 5.30pm. It is very advisable to book, which I was able to do via phone using the international number on the Raffles website. I booked for 3.30pm, wanting to have a the maximum amount of time. This was not the best idea as, of course, it is the same idea everyone else has - this means you have to queue to go into the restaurant. It would have been better to book for 4pm when we could have been seated straight away and would still have had a good amount time for eating and soaking up the atmosphere.

Once seated at our table we were offered a glass of Champagne - this is not included in the High Tea price and was $20++. That was a bit pricey for me, though I am sure it was good champagne. We opted for the traditional English Breakfast tea. We were travelling in a group of four adults and two children. On being seated at our table, complete with linen tablecloth and Raffles china, we were brought tea and the server explained that our three tier tray of sandwiches and cakes would be brought shortly. We were also welcome to help ourselves to the buffet which consisted of fruit, dim sums and cakes.

The three tier tray had one plate of sandwiches - tuna, salmon, egg, cucumber and roast beef - very traditional - plus two plates of delicate little cakes and pastries - the chocolate eclair and raspberry cupcake were my favourites. We did try the dim sums as well, but I rather wished I hadn't as when we finished our sandwiches we were offered another tray so we had plenty to eat without the buffet. In fact we were so full when we left we didn't need dinner. Our cups of tea were filled up regularly by attentive servers who were always at hand.

Our group agreed it was a lovely afternoon outing. The room itself is large, bright, painted a stunning white throughout and stylishly decorated. The renovation of the Raffles definitely restored its former glory. It is an iconic place and well worth a visit - do wear your best outfits and you will feel glamour of of this historic building and that you are little part of its long history.

1  Thank AndThePea