“Amazing coffee, brunch & lunch”

Jimmy Monkey cafe & bar
Ranked #29 of 348 Coffee & Tea in Singapore
Cuisines: Australian, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Description: Nestled in the lush greenery of one-north, built within historic old army barracks, Jimmy Monkey is certainly a gem sparkling in nature. The décor at jimmy monkey boasts of raw and deconstructed elegance. Exposed beams and brickwork of the old original army barracks against new age furniture and equipment set the atmosphere of rustic urbanization. The visual spectacle of coffee beans roasted, ground and made into a fresh cup of coffee can be observed at the Barista’s Bench, as trained baristas will pull shot after shot from the SlayerTM.Grab scrumptious brunch on the weekends, or lazy morning breakfasts in the weekdays. Delectable lunch and dinner served everyday too. Kick back, unwind, surf - all with your beverage of choice: coffee, tea, some wine and beer.
Reviewed May 7, 2014

Jimmy Monkey is one of the best places for coffee in Singapore. The staff is very friendly and I like their the breakfast/lunch/brunch menu a lot. The 'hulk' is a must-try. This place is also worth the visit because of relaxed, urban atmosphere. If you like the Tiong Bahru cafes, you'll definitely like Jimmy Monkey. I've been there many times: during weekdays alone, to work, during weekends for brunch with friends.

Reviewed April 29, 2014 via mobile

This place has the best coffee in Singapore! It is owned by a charming owner from Melbourne, and run by some exceptional baristas. Great brunch menu too. Definitely worth a special trip..

2  Thank Jeswant B
Reviewed April 20, 2014

My husband and I attended Jimmy Monkey last Saturday for brunch with our 15 month daughter. We had a bit of a hard time locating it but what a hidden gem! We chose it based on reviews of having the "best coffee in Singapore"...fantastically the reviews were right! I had a flat white & my hubby a cappuccino - both smooth and delicious and artfully decorated. Both of us were happy with our brunch and most importantly the cafe was child friendly (high chairs and our daughter loved the monkey on the wall!).
After brunch we played in the water outside with our daughter and then took the bus home. I was devastated to discover my diamond earring stud missing :( I immediately e mailed & phoned the cafe and guess what??? Their superb staff searched high & low and found it!!!
I would highly recommend this cafe to other patrons and we will most certainly be back ourselves.

2  Thank Aprilnerford
Reviewed April 16, 2014 via mobile

Loved this place the moment I walked in. Its quiet and cozy on weekdays. Decor and ambience is superb. Coffee is definitely one of the best I've had in Singapore. Staff are friendly and tries to go out of their way to accommodate requests. Only issue I have is the limited food choices. But all in all, good coffee experience everytime I come and visit.

2  Thank AG0330
Reviewed April 13, 2014 via mobile

We arrived with a group of 4 to have late breakfast. I ordered a plate with two semi-hard boiled eggs. After 30 minutes the plates arrived. Unfortunately my eggs were nearly fully rear, with nearly all egg white liquid. They apologized and I asked them to simply make the eggs fully hard boiled. After 15 minutes (others had meanwhile finished their plates), they gave me "hard boiled eggs", which were still fully fluid. 15 minutes later they came for the third time with the "hard boiled eggs", this time the waiter said she was certain. I ticked the egg on the edge of my plate, and all inside fell through the table on the ground; still all fluid. She apologized again and cleaned up the mess. I was offered a free coffee to make up. I assumed the coffee I ordered 2 minutes before was what she meant, but 5 minutes later I had 2 coffee in front of me.. On the fourth time the eggs were hard boiled - so I finished them with the by now hard toast and lukewarm rest of the plate.. What a disaster. Two hours later and after paying SGD 50 per person, this was the worst value for money I've ever had for breakfast. If I wasn't there with friends, I would have walked out the second or third time they demonstrated to be incapable of simply boiling an egg. Giving just a coffee was so meager - one coffee for such a disaster? In addition, please let one waiter work one table to prevent things like me having 2 coffee.

Seeing all the reviews this seems like an exception. However, an error is ok, as long as it's recovered properly. As this was again and again not done properly, it was indeed terrible.

jimmymonkey, Guest Relations Manager at Jimmy Monkey cafe & bar, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2014

Hi there, that is truly a disaster breakfast, there is no 2 ways about that. No matter where it is you go to spend your money, having that happen is unacceptable, especially when you decided to spend it with us.

Having said that, we would like to thank you for your feedback (it's feedback like this that makes us aware of what is happening in our establishment) and giving us the opportunity to rectify your experience. I will be contacting you directly via Tripadvisor for our second chance. Honestly, I'd never wish is upon anyone so we are truly sorry.