“Capri by Fraser Changi City -- Casual Meets Chic”

Capri by Fraser Changi City
Ranked #45 of 317 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed December 12, 2012

The amped up self-service laundromats on every floor at Capri by Fraser Changi City–appropriately named Spin & Play–where guests can amuse themselves with distractions ranging from console games to Foosball to TRX suspension training while putting their linens through the paces perhaps best embody the smart hotel and blended spaces concept by Singapore’s Fraser Hospitality.

The lobby exudes casual chic, where spaces such as the all-day diner, bistro, business workstations, and library that would typically be clearly demarcated in more traditional hotels all seamlessly meld together in Capri’s refreshing concept. The interactive screen where guests can pre-book a variety of services such as biking tours led by none other than the property’s general manager Mr. Raymond Howe further underscores the hotel’s orientation towards delivering services to guests through technology. Permeating the public spaces on the ground floor is the hotel’s signature scent (“Capri No.5″), which heightens the sensory touch.

Adorning the public spaces are also interesting contemporary art such as installation pieces by German sculptor Rainer Lagemann (“Jumper, Jori and Then As Now”), Belgium artist Daisy Boman (“Men On The Road”), and Lee Gil Rae from Korea whose work entitled “The Old Pine Eternity Tree” was my favorite (I just wish the hotel did not place the thrash bin against the art).

Inside, the room I was assigned–the 32sqm Studio Superior–was spacious, and made good use of space. The floor-to-ceiling window panes let in plenty of natural light, which enhanced the ambiance. The mattress is on the firm side, but comfortable. The shower area is capacious. Best of all was the refreshingly aromatic toiletries by New York-based (Marlin+Goetz).

For fitness enthusiasts, the hotel has a spacious gym enclosed by glass on three sides to let in plenty of natural light in the day. The range of equipment is adequate, and the co-location with the pool is both an extension of the hotel’s blended space philosophy and a welcome incentive for guests to have a dip to cool down after a workout. There is even a treadmill inside the pool.

Other amenities include an all-day casual diner. The main course menu is quite limited, and as with many new establishments, there are some operational issues that will take time to get ironed out. During our first evening, our order was not conveyed to the kitchen and the staff seemed to pay no heed to the fact that we were sitting at an empty table for nearly 20 minutes before we inquired as to the status of our order. The order when it was finally conveyed, arrived with alacrity and was delicious. The hotel’s signature mocktail (the “Capritino”) was curiously unavailable that evening as well, but when we did order it on another occasion, we found it was too syrupy.

Overall, I think Fraser has hit upon a great concept that will appeal to guests who enjoy a modern, casual vibe to their hotels, and do not want to be over-serviced. The staff are new but are earnest, smiling, and willing to assist. The property is thoughtfully-designed with a contemporary touch. In time to come, we might just see many more Capri properties around the globe.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Raymond_Howe, General Manager at Capri by Fraser Changi City, responded to this reviewResponded December 19, 2012

Dear David (Sojourneys),

Thank you for your kind compliments and it was a pleasure to have met you during your stay.

My sincere apologies on the poor service received at our F&B outlet, Caprilicious. We want to ensure you the process from orders placed to delivery have been fine tune.

We do hope to welcome you back.

Have a Merry Christmas!

Many thanks and warm regards

Reviewed December 11, 2012

Bad service overall.
not coming back.
Great hotel. bad service.

Backpacked with my friends here in singapore.
checked in with 4 other friends here in Capri by frasers into a room we originally booked.

got STRICTLY warned that only maximum 3 people are allowed when we were booking in.
i am emphasizing about THAT tone.
when we asked if we could stay together as all of us are girls and don't take much space, they insisted and ask us rudely and SARCASTICALLY if we want to see their manager instead.

We dropped the matter with that girl however, we are travelling with a budget and why can't we stay as a group? Why must all of you stick so closely to the "Hotel Policy", CAPRI?

forced to book another room impromptu.
Unhappy again cause we were not given the same level rooms.
(notice, i am not asking for side by side rooms now, just the same level)

Hotel was fine. Just freaking mad.
called their general service line and was greeted by the most sarcastic voice ever.
Whatever i asked her, she just gave me a vague and reluctant answer.
left first thing in the morning. can't wait to get out of this worse service ever. I even thought Singapore was ranked prestigious for their service.

we subsequently went to try other hotels.
Service was MUCH better. they even gave us complimentary 3 breakfast voucher (so the 5 of us can have breakfast together) and was much flexible in the people quota.

JUST BY THINKING OF HOW I WAS TREATED BACK THERE IN CAPRI, I FEEL SO MAD.
price was affordable per room/suite but we spent much more eventually because of their inflexibility than what we did in other more well known hotels.

WORSE EXPERIENCE WE HAD IN SINGAPORE.
they should also give all their receptionists training.
whatever i ask them, they are unsure.
they just passed me a brochure to email my feedback and enquires to the email in it.

luckily, we are ending our trip here in singapore tomorrow.
Will not never ever come back to this hotel if we were to travel to SG again.

For service, imo, they do not deserve even a star.
READ THEIR POLICIES BEFORE YOU BOOK THIS HOTEL.

PLAY SAFE OR get ready to PAY UP.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank WENDYlwt
Raymond_Howe, General Manager at Capri by Fraser Changi City, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2012

Dear Wendy,

Thank you for your feedback.

My sincere apologies for the way my staff spoke to you during your stay. The staff concerned have been reprimanded.

Yes, we do have a 3 guests per room policy. This is to ensure the comfort of the guests as only one adult roll away bed can be fitted comfortably in the room.

Once again, my apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Many thanks and warm regards

Reviewed December 11, 2012

We stayed for one night while en route back from Bali to Europe and we'd gladly stay for longer. Decor (in both the rooms and common areas) is stylish, the staff are friendly, helpful and professional and the hotel rooms are a great size. We didn't take advantage of the cooking facilities in the room but there's no need to go to the nearby if you want a night in.
Access to the airport and the city centre via the metro (MRT) is quick and easy. Only problem is that signage to the hotel from the metro is unclear (easiest way is to go through the shopping centre and eventually you'll find and follow the sign saying "hotel" - there's only one on-site), and the open-air swimming pool is very noisy during the day because of the amount of building work going on nearby but these didn't detract from our stay.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Gruffl,

Seasons Greetings!

Thank you for your positive comments about our property, services and our team. We are glad that you and your family had a memorable stay.

We have taken note of your comments about the signage and are working on it.

We look forward to welcoming you back

Merry Christmas

Warm Regards

Reviewed December 7, 2012

Great location for overnight stays in Singapore. The hotel is only a short taxi ride from the airport and right next door to a shopping mall (with lots of dining options) and the MRT if you need to go further afield. Our taxi driver had difficulty finding the entrance due to the roadworks and switched off the meter so as not to overcharge us (I doubt that this would happen anywhere else in the world!). The hotel is sparkling new and spotless, rooms are very well appointed with a large shower and bathroom as well as kitchenette facilities. The staff were very helpful and welcoming. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear bnh,
Thank you for your comments about your recent stay with us. We are glad that you enjoyed the property and in particular it's location.
We hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Merry Christmas

Warm Wishes

Reviewed December 6, 2012

The "hardware" of the hotel cannot be praised more: Large and light rooms, fully equipped with everything, pool and gym at ist best, innovative concepts for guest laundry and in-room cooking, close to airport, shopping centers and almost hundreds of restaurants from food court to cuisine.
Only problem: SIN airport has its peak at night, and like most hotels also this hotel has not a lot of mercy with people coming in very late and wanting to stay until late. I was lucky and found a very helpful check-in clerk who gave me a generous late checkout. Also, an hourly shuttle service is not frequent enough (the taxi is around 15 Sin$).
In general, airport hotels should operate like rental car companies, where up to 24 hours is one day, no matter when you start.

Room Tip: Be careful, at one side of the hotel there is heavy construction work.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Raymond_Howe, General Manager at Capri by Fraser Changi City, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2012

Dear Profigast,

Season Greetings!

Thank you for staying with us and we hope you have had a wonderful stay with us.

Capri is 4 months old and we are still in the midst of reviewing the need for a 24 hours airport shuttle service with comparison to the other hotels in the East. It will take a minimum of 6-8 months to determine the frequency of our late arrivals and departures figures. As such, our current airport shuttle services operates from 6.00am to 1.00am daily.

Once again, we thank you for your feedback.

Have a Merry Christmas!

Warm regards

Reviewed December 6, 2012

I spent 4 nights here during a business trip. The hotel is nice, tidy, neat and clean. It's next to the Changi shopping mall, smothered are restaurants and shops nearby. My room was pretty in its decor. It was very functional and pleasant. It was facing a construction site..but I was at work while they were loud..so it wasn't a problem. The kitchen area is a nice touch. I got some apples, pears and bananas from the grocery store in the underground floor of the mall..and I was able to cut them and use the plates very conveniently. The gym is REALLY nice! It's new, has all you need while away from home. I didn't not have problem with overcrowding and I was going at 6 am

Room:

Pretty. No drawers or clothes. HUGE shower with a "rain" shower head (wish it had more pressure). Loved the shower! Safe and closet very efficient. Weird thing was the body wash - no soap, the body wash has rum flavor. Do you really want to smell like rum?? I bought a soap from from Body Shop in the mall..I don't want to go to work smelling like rum. No drawers was weird, but I used the night stand drawers. They have US outlets in the room yay!!! Tv was weird. I listened to radio on my iPad. No problems with room.

Spa:

Got a massage. Place was FREEZING. If you are a conservative American, probably not the place for you - process includes butt and boobs massage. I'm European- born I don't mind. Wasn't crazy about the cold though. Freezing!!!

Gym: loved it! Went every morning!

Lobby: they have free drinks 6-7pm!!! Very nice. Breakfast sucks. $30 for a very limited selection. Go to the mall and get pastries instead. Bread basket place opens at 7.30am, the rest at 8am.

Location - OMG every taxi driver got lost!!! The place is a labyrinth and the hotel is new. Not one single driver made it ok!! The rides for me and my colleagues varied from just annoying to plain terrible. To get to the hotel, just tell driver to take you to Changi Point shopping mall. Don't even bother saying the hotel. They know the mall. Good luck. Fair from airport should be no more than $10.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank GizelleAnaji

Dear GizelleAnaji,

Seasons Greetings!

Thank you for staying with us and providing a detailed feedback of your stay. Overall, we are glad you had a good stay with us.

Your suggestions and recommendations have been considered and we will be making some of the changes to improve the quality of our guest's stay.

Once again, many thanks!

Merry Christmas!

Reviewed December 5, 2012

I'm a huge fan of Singapore anyway, but this newly opened gem is awesome! Usually, I stay downtown somewhere, just to be close to Clarke Quay and the surrounding shops. But, this time, I wasn't going to have time to do anything outside of work, so my office put me in the Capri. The room is huge, the TV is huge, the closet is huge, the shower is huge (in case you need a huge shower), and the wifi is flawless from the time you walk through the automatic double "huge" front doors! I will stay here every time from now on!! Oh, and I didn't even mention the kitchenette!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business

Dear austinfullers,

Thank you very much for your compliments. It gives us immense pleasure to learn from your feedback that your visit to our property was pleasant and comfortable and we were able to match your expectations.
This is the best gauge by which we can measure our success.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

Warm regards