WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Capri by Fraser Changi City

Capri by Fraser Changi City
Ranked #40 of 309 Hotels in Singapore
Singapore
“Singapore's latest hip hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2012

Definitely a lifestyle hotel the moment you walked into the spacious lobby. All marble, white, designer tables & chairs, art pieces that reflects the young and restless and technology. What captured my attention was the cool and jazzy music emitting from the 6 TV interactive screen that the hotel called the 'e-conceirge'. The whole set up reminds me of the hip and trendy London's Metropolitan Hotel minus the interactive screens.

The technology of iPad check-in was a plus factor though I still prefer the old fashion way. Service staff was polite and attentive and check-in took approx 10mins, the old fashion way. WIFI is complimentary and accessible throughout the hotel. This is most important for travellers like myself. I logged on and it was almost an instant albeit the password that is given at check-in. Staff are dressed casually in tees and I was informed the hotel recently open its doors August 11.

My room looks exactly like the photos on their web/FB pages and I am delighted. I had a Superior room with a view of the mall and a kid's playground. Spacious is the word for the rain shower. In fact, the whole bathroom is spacious and comes with a walk-in wardrobe. Forget about using your bathroom amenities because they are using Malin & Goetz products. Another plus. Set back, I could not locate a towel hook. No mini-bar was provided but a rather large refrigerator as they encouraged guests to purchase their personal items at the shopping mall which is just a few steps away. A wall kitchenette is provided plus microwave but I did not use it. Large HD TV with 29 channels and an iPod sound system was the best part of the room for me. Next to my room was a room called Spin and Play. I thought it was part of the access to the kid's playground. Instead it is a self-service laundrette that comes with another well thought room of electronic games and machines. I found out that each level has the same room with a different 'play area'. A plus!

The bed and it's linen was very comfortable. I slept well but was perturbed by an unidentified noise. I was told it was the aluminum frame cladding expansion and contraction as it is a new building and will eventually fade away. It wasn't that loud but still it was irritating.

The hotel have limited room service menu and decided to have a meal at the cafe. Prices were reasonably and a note of caution, the serving is American size portion!!! So shared if you can! The local food is delicious and value for money.

The gym, honestly, is the best gym, I have ever seen! Not too big nor too small but have the correct equipment for my needs. They even have a hydro treadmill (underwater treadmill) but sadly, it was under maintenance and they even have a sign to say when it will be ready for operations (Sept 15). Pool is standard like others. The pool equipment is unique especially the rocker chaise loungers. There is a pool bar but it never seems to be open.

The staff I have met and encountered during my stay gave me pointers on what to do in Singapore. They are always willing to help and would go the extra miles, however, not all would as they are either too shy or just not up to it.

I had a wonderful stay and would recommend this hotel to my friends as it is next to the train station, a shopping mall and a safe and comfortable hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Raymond_Howe, General Manager at Capri by Fraser Changi City, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Dear Maxmaya,

Thank you for your review of Capri by Fraser. It is most detailed and we appreciate the feedback pertaining to areas of staff training and hotel amenities i.e towel hooks and pool bar. Your comments is much appreciated as it will assist us in our strive for service excellence.

As for the noise, it is indeed the expansion and contraction of the aluminium cladding and it will fade away according to our consultants.

We do hope to welcome you back soon!

Warm regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2012

Stayed at this hotel for the weekend and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Love the pool, gym and my room. WIFI connectivity is great and comes complimentary throughout the hotel. The bicycles to explore the city was complimentary as well and it was a branded bike, TREK. The staff we met was always with a smile especially at the dining room . Our personal thanks to the housekeeping and guest services team for making our stay a memorable one although at times my hubby might be too demanding.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Raymond_Howe, General Manager at Capri by Fraser Changi City, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Dear coupleinlove294265,

There is no trouble at all on your husband demands. We are here to service our guests as much as we can to our abilities.

Your compliments on your stay with us is indeed heartwarming and we are thrill to hear that you have had a memorable experience and look forward to seeing you back at Capri.

Leesburg, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012

This newly launched hotel has a wonderfully welcoming feel to it, yet very modern, efficient and high tech if you will. My husband loved the mac-OSS operated environment (being the apple geek that he is) and the free wifi throughout the hotel (which is a rarity in many hotels!). Having an induction-stove top, microwave, fridge and nespresso machine in the room is all a luxurious extra. I loved the indulgent feel of the bathroom, and how the bedroom can be divided into two with a screen for extra privacy. Everything has been planned for the total comfort of the guest. Having a washing machine and xboxs/wifis (that are thoughtfully placed in what looks like sound-proof rooms) on each floor is just another proof that the guests' comfort is Capri's number one objective. The only downside is the close proximity to a shopping mall but we didn't hear a thing in the rooms so assume that the windows are all gloriously double glazed. I highly recommend this as a home away from home!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Dear wifetoafrenchie,

We are glad that your husband and you had a wonderful stay with us. We pride ourselves in having the latest technology within the property and ensuring that we update these as well.

Overall, we thank you for your kind compliments on the hotel facilities.

We look forward to your return.

Singapore
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012

We stayed 2 nights and quite enjoyed our stay. The main thing we liked was the convenience to Changi City Point.

Things we like about the place.....

It's new and everything is fantastic. The beds are great (not too soft) which suits us perfectly well. It comes with 4 pillows which are just nice (not too soft again).

The couch in front of the bed makes it easy to watch tv on bed or on the couch. It's a little small & tight if you intend to sleep on it but cleverly laid out. However, I personally didn't like the cushions provided. The fabric irritates my skin.

The flat screen tv is awesome. Huge and come with the basic cable channels.

It's a hotel but comes equip with the basic utensils and cookware. There is also a microwave to heat up our food.

Bathroom is spacious especially the shower area and my favourite is the rain shower which many older hotels lack of. Everything is pretty basic & simple. There is more than sufficient wardrobe space which happens to be in the bathroom as well.

Changi Point is right next door and everything is within reach. We had our breakfast, lunch, dinner there. You can check out the mall directory on what's available.

Facilities are fantastic. Nice pool & gym. There is a 'Spin & Play' where you can do your laundry and play 'WII' while waiting. There is only one set available though. Hotspot with printers and 2 iMacs for guests to use. Awesome!

Things we thought can be improved......

There are leftover cereals in the cabinet and a leftover 1.5litres coke in the fridge. I thought this should be quite basic for all hotels and service apartments to achieve (at least to clean up the place entirely). Moreover, it seems to us that the hotel is only 10-20% occupied as many rooms are not lit up at night.

We don't see any in-room dining menu. 24/7 McDonalds seems to be our only option late at night.

The switches to the lights in the room are not near the entrance but next to the bed (on the right). Every time you need to on or off the lights, you'll have to walk to the bed-head to control the lights. It's kinda dumb.

There are thumping sounds which we encountered (day, noon, night) throughout the day. We can't be sure what caused it but it's definitely disturbing enough to wake us up in the morning. Doesn't sound like construction noise to us.

All the standard toiletries are available except a piece of soap. I am used to using soap to wash my hands. Only the body wash is available for bathing and to wash my hands. Moreover, when I checked in, the body wash is less than half full. I'm not sure how many guests used it before me. May be part of Fraser efforts to save cost but it disgusted me.

The overwhelming smell of the lobby is totally different from other hotel. I don't feel comfortable staying too long in the lobby or I'll get headaches. They should consider using something milder.

The front desk staffs are dressed casually and behaved like students gathering together in the absence of guests. I didn't get the impression that this hotel is professional at all. The behavior and language used by the staffs is an eye opener to me.

The bicycles parked just behind the check-in/out counters made the place look like some chalets renting bicycles in East Coast/Pasir Ris. Feels cheap.

For guests who drive, this place is A NIGHTMARE. 1stly, the entire property (Changi Point & Capri) belongs to Frasers and they share the same carpark BUT they couldn't afford to give guests complimentary parking. 2ndly, the TERRIFYING LONG QUEUE in to the carpark during peak hours seems FOREVER. One way in for shoppers and guests. You really have to wait. Parking is not as expensive as in town but not cheap either. I parked from night to 12:00noon and it costs me S$14.60. I went out a few times after 6:00pm and they charged me S$2.50 per entry. 2 Nights stay and i spent more than S$30 on parking (Season parking is S$100 there monthly). Lastly, as mentioned the hotel seems to be quite low on occupancy as we don't see a lot of guests moving around through the day but on peak hours all the car park lots allocated for the hotel (lots in red) are taken. Not only i have to queue to get in, i have to queue to wait for an available lot in the carpark.

Overall, I just think this hotel is managed very poorly in an amateur way. They probably didn't take the guests' comfort into consideration to make it a better stay for us.

Room Tip: Would I come back even if I'm offered 1-week free stay? My answer is 'NO'. Let them work...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank NJS885
Raymond_Howe, General Manager at Capri by Fraser Changi City, responded to this review, September 3, 2012
Dear JNG_999,

Thank you for your feedback on both the positive and negative aspects of your stay with us.
We thank you for the things that you like about the place and for the things that you thought can be improved - we have taken steps to ensure the areas for improvement are met.

We appreciate the candid comments.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012

Spent 6 days for business and leisure at Capri. Company made the reservations on my behalf. The hotel is only one train station away from the airport but because I arrived way past mid-night, I took a taxi instead. The ride took less than 15 mins but I think the taxi driver had a hard time locating the hotel because that it's new.

Upon arrival, I was greeted by a well mannered doorman and escorted to the reception counter. My first impression of the lobby was WOW!! The island concept reception counters, the Apple computers and especially the iPad check-in service. The staff servicing me was a bit unsure at first of the check-in procedure but was coached by the manager. Both had pleasantries and I enjoyed my conversation with the manager.

My Premier room was spacious with a tinge of orange to brighten up the space. Surprise! Surprise! It came with a built in kitchenette with full cooking facilities and utensils and also a walk-in wardrobe. The shower room was also spacious and the bathroom amenities are top range products. Seems that this hotel is full of tech gadgets. From the auto partition that separates my bed and the TV room to the state of the art sound system and TV. One disappointment is I had a view of a construction in progress. I found out later it is another train station.

I woke up fresh despite arriving late all thanks to the very comfortable mattress and pillows the hotel have. I could hear a bit of construction noise but it was minimal. However, I did not like the view and requested for a room change. It was a seamless change and I had a new room facing the mall.

Breakfast was not included in my reservations. I made enquires about the breakfast cost and it was Singapore dollars $28++. Thought I give it a try since I was informed the mall shops and eateries opens 7ish morning and I had to be at work at 7.30am. The buffet spread was small but they had good quality cereals, 6 different types though only one milk (whole) choice. There were also sausages, bacon (a bit burnt), good assortment of breads and rolls, baked beans, yogurt and scrambled eggs which I love but no other options for eggs available. Disappointment is the spread of cheese available. The coffee is good. I was later informed the Deli sells takeaway.

I requested a cab but it took a while to get one. While waiting, I chatted with the staff and was enquiring about jogging routes and what to do in Singapore. I was shown to the interactive wall which I think is awesome though some information was not completed.

Back from work, I explored the hotel. The art pieces around the hotel is impressive but getting info of the artists was quite difficult as the staff do not know. The Deli seems unfurnished. There were only 3-4 tables in a large space. I ordered a sandwich and salad and a sport drinks. I expected it to be self service but was served instead. Not bad actually for a light dinner. I realize music was missing. Would be good to have with my dinner. The swim pool is inviting but with the construction... Being a fitness fanatic, the gym is awesome and opens 24 hours. I noticed their were bicycles for loan to guests at the lobby as well. Not cheap bicycles as they were TREK brand. Another service provided by the hotel to help one keep fit.

The mall next door was godsend. It is full of cafes and restaurants but the only set back is it closes at 10pm.

Weekend was R&R for me. I wanted to explore Singapore and decided to rent a car through my company. I requested for complimentary parking and was given a complimentary ticket but with a catch. I was surprised to hear that it was one entry and one exit only. Any subsequent or multiple entires requires payment as the mall owns the car park. This is strange as I know most hotels have their own parking. This hotel does not own any parking lots. I was later informed that the complimentary ticket that was given to me cost the hotel $20 per ticket. The Duty Manager was kind enough to give me 2 tickets as I was having the car for 2 days. Good enough for me but the hotel should seriously look into having their own parking.

The places that the staff recommends over the weekend was fantastic. I enjoyed myself thoroughly. Singapore is truly a beautiful city.

Overall, I had a wonderful stay at Capri. The hotel is new and it is a hip hotel of sorts. The staff was wonderful and patient but needs more training on the product though. The food served especially the local food is flavourful and reasonably priced (prices are comparable to the mall). The lobby and cafe needs more furnishing. Open the bar till late and need service staff at the pool when it opens at 7am. The room is awesome! Capri have it's flaws like any new hotel but give this hotel time and I'm sure it will blossoms to be one damn hip hotel.

I will definitely stay here again and recommend to friends who plan to visit Singapore.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing away from the construction.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank happycamper544291
Dear happycamper5442,

We thank you for your detailed review of your stay with us. As we recently open our doors in mid-August 2012, there are many areas to be fine tuned and with your gracious feedback we will definitely look into these areas for improvement.

Overall, we are glad that you have had a memorable stay with us and we thank you for your kind compliments on our staffs.

Warm regards
Jakarta, Indonesia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2012

New hotel in Singapore. Have a concept of combining hotel and apartment. Room was nice and well decorated. Have kitchen and microwave in the room and a nespresso coffee machine.
Have a washing machine in every floor and xbox to play in the service area.
Pool and gym was nice. Have a bouncy chair near the pool.
My kids love the xbox and bouncy chair. Free wifi everywhere in the hotel and it was fast!
Hotel is across Expo MRT Station and connected to a mall. Easy to find food.
Check-in and out went smoothly.
Will come back

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank JnJTraveller
MarianAng, Director of Sales at Capri by Fraser Changi City, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
Dear JnJTraveller

We are so happy to hear that you and your family had enjoyed your stay with us, as well as the facilties we have within our hotel residence.

We look forward to having you back with us very soon!

CAPRI-liciously yours,