Open today: 9:00 AM - 7:00 PM
Review Highlights
Totally bonkers, but great!

This is a great place to spend an hour or two. It is a bit bonkers but also quite educational. The... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
Jon B
Beccles, United Kingdom
via mobile
Haw Par Villa

A very weird and interesting homage to Asian mythologies. I would also recommend a visit to Hell’s... read more

Reviewed December 29, 2022
alexandra_anthonsen
Gold Coast, Australia
via mobile

Recommended experiences in and around Singapore
from $100.44
from $15.91
from $19.07
from $16.41
More Info
All reviews tiger balm chinese mythology theme park mrt station pasir panjang worth a visit free admission walk around dioramas legend sculptures tales culture death terrapins
Selected filters
Reviewed September 7, 2019 via mobile

This almost deserted theme park was very popular in decades past and was a place parents brought their children to impart traditional Chinese morals. Frankly, it’s a bit terrifying! Nevertheless, we enjoyed our time at this unique spot.

Date of experience: September 2019
3  Thank lovestotravel013
Reviewed September 2, 2019

We had been here a few years back and had been disappointed with the condition of all the sites. However this year it has been refurbished and is very bright and colourful. Our grandson was amazed with the dramatic figures and shivered with apprehension going through the gates of hell. Super place to learn about the myths and legends associated with the religion.

Date of experience: August 2019
2  Thank danae363
Reviewed August 31, 2019 via mobile

We happened to be around that area when my dad proposed that we can bring the kids to have a quick walk there.

Initally, the kids were not aware of the place but when we reached there. They were v excited. My girl is learning about monkey god and she is super excited about the Monkey God section. Her teacher had also told them about the 10 courts of hell and she is also v excited when she visited it. My younger girl (aged 7) was a little scared when she was inside but I think it is a good learning for the kids.

We have also bought the turtle feeds for them to feed the turtle. However, it is a Honesty box approach. No one monitor the payment. Good learning values.

Overall, it is very good visit. Recommeded for all to visit.

Note: Next to haw pat villa mrt
$5 parking per entry

Date of experience: August 2019
1  Thank jasmineg252
Reviewed August 30, 2019

From my research this park has been a part of Singaporean life for ever with many children recounting how their parents took them there to see the instructional dioramas on the benefits of living a good life and the punishments awaiting if you don’t. A friend of mine confirmed she had been taken at the age of 6 and still wonders why her parents would do that to her.

As an Australian adult of European descent many of the religious dioramas didn’t have a lot of impact but I could admire their intricacy. I found the presentation about Aw Boon Haw, Aw Boon Par and Tiger Balm interesting and the video on the last painter of the figures passing on his skills quite moving.

Haw Par Villa is free and near the Haw Par Villa MRT and it is near the Kent Ridges end of the Southern Ridges walk. It fitted into our schedule so if it fits into yours it could be an interesting diversion. I liked seeing something that may have had so much impact on the Singaporean psyche.

Date of experience: July 2019
1  Thank SusanC4948
Reviewed August 30, 2019

When I was searching for something different to do in Singapore, Haw Par Villa came up.
It definitely is nothing I have ever seen before. So much work has gone into all the statues! There is not much shade so go early as this place is quite hilly and can get very hot!
Entrance is free.
I am glad that I visited. I was told by a Singaporean - do not curse when visiting this place.

Date of experience: June 2019