“a taste of chinese mythology”
Review of Haw Par Villa

Ranked #71 of 846 things to do in Singapore
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Haw Par Villa is like no other place in the world, with over 1,000 statues and 150 dioramas that dramatise Chinese legends and folklore.
Reviewed October 4, 2013

My 2nd time to visit Haw Par Villa -- 20+ years apart (then called Tiger Balm Gardens)-- this time with my son who's taking Creative Writing. The huge dragon figure that used to greet visitors is no loger in sight. Though much statues had been added, the place did not lose its mysticism and lure. Great site to visit -- easily accessible, free entrance, and educational (especially for literature lovers like us!). Arm yourself with bottles of drinks.

Reviewed September 24, 2013

I thought this was going to be fascinating based on the descriptions, but it is a pretty run down theme park based on Chinese mythology. While interesting, it is a bit out of the way. Fortunately it is easy to reach by subway, since it has its own stop. It was interesting to walk through fast and see the depictions of the macabre folk tales and see the history of the brothers who started Tiger Balm. It might be a little too scary for young children, unless your intent is to frighten them.

1  Thank RoInCo
Reviewed September 24, 2013

I first visited Haw Par Villa in 1966 when I was 5 years old and it was called Tiger Balm Gardens. We were on a family trip from Malacca, Malaysia where we lived in the British Army base. It's a bizarre, gory, surreal place that appeals to 5 year old boys and 52 year old men - or at least it does to this one!

It's a bit rundown, but it's free and great fun. Cold drinks are for sale, but beware that there's little shade and few places to have a sit down.

1  Thank Joseph B
Reviewed September 22, 2013

We went her since my mum wanted to revisit "Tiger Balm Garden". Found it quite nice & very peaceful. Considering that its quite old, it needs to re-look at probably re-doing the place. I liked the turtle pond quite a lot. Quite far from where we were staying. Might go back on my next trip keeping the park timings in mind.

Reviewed September 18, 2013 via mobile

Been here twice. I like statues, old places and chinese mythology so for me Haw Par Villa is a very nice place to spend a day in Singapore. It's free, it's not crowded. It is not a very run down place and its so quiet. The weather may be very hot here but there's a lot of bench to rest. Some stalls are closed, despite I saw a food court (?) in it.