“Wow”

National Museum of Singapore
Ranked #24 of 809 things to do in Singapore
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: With a history dating back to its inception in 1887, the National Museum of Singapore is the nation's oldest museum with a progressive mind. Its galleries adopt cutting-edge and multi-perspective ways of presenting history and culture to redefine conventional museum experience. A cultural and architectural landmark in Singapore, the Museum hosts innovative festivals and events all year round-the dynamic Night Festival, visually arresting art installations, as well as amazing performances and film screenings-in addition to presenting thought-provoking exhibitions involving critically important collections of artefacts. The programming is supported by a wide range of facilities and services including F&B, retail and a Resource Centre. The National Museum of Singapore re-opened in December 2006 after a three-year redevelopment, and celebrated its 125th anniversary in 2012. The Museum refreshed its permanent galleries and re-opened them on 19 September 2015 for Singapore's Golden Jubilee.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Toowoomba, Australia
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“Wow”
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Only had time to see the self guided tour of the history of Singapore. Don't underestimate the time you need to spend here. Everything is meticulously presented & so well documented. A real plus in my visit to Singapore.

Visited March 2013

• Thai first
Marbella, Spain
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 123 helpful votes
“Good stories great history but difficult to follow”
Reviewed March 20, 2013 via mobile

Unfortunately for the 2 of us the audio visual companions both failed part way round. Without them it is totally impossible to understand what it's all about. For half the visit my wife was hooked up one ear to my companion and we had to keep in step all the way round do that we could both hear. Then my battery failed so that was that. It's good but very difficult to follow. Fortunately for me I had read one of the biographies of Sir Stamford Raffles so it meant more to me than my wife but exactly for the same reason I could not appreciate the whole story because my bit if kit failed. So, what can I say. Disappointed I suppose

Bandung, Indonesia
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 81 helpful votes
“Collections with nice display”
Reviewed March 18, 2013

This museum has a grand design façade. It’s like an embassy building, all white with the details. The admission for an adult is S$10. From my perspective, this museum divided by 3 section. First section is at the back in 2nd floor, we have to take the escalator to reach this section. Second area is on the front (also in 2nd floor) and third is at lower ground. In the first section, every visitor will get a tablet which works as a tour guide. Each collection has numbers, so we can choose the number to hear specific information for every item in the collection. It is interesting and simplifying when the tool works. Mine is not working in the middle of my journey. This section tells us about Singapore history from time to time.

In the second section, there are 5 rooms with different category: Movie/Film, Photography, Fashion, Food, and Art Exhibition. In my opinion, the collection is not too rare, but the interior design of every room has amazed me. I like how they display every item.

The third section is on the lower ground. It’s a big hall which displays theater movies and manuscript.

Come here if you want to know more about Singapore history. It’s a nice museum but I wouldn’t go twice.

Visited January 2013
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“To know the history of Singapore”
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Great place to know the history of Singapore. I will recommend you to spent half a day here, as the time to time theme gallery can be really fun and interesting....

Visited February 2013
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 84 helpful votes
“Best place to Understand Singapore”
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Located inside a grand building, the museum takes you through the ancient times to the British time to WW II till its modern days. If you want to understand Singapore, it's culture and the reason what made Singapore what it is today; this place is a must visit.
They have tried to mimic the ambiance of different period for its various sections. Teh audio device provided at the entry makes it very easy to understand the things on display & the history behind each of them.
It will take a full day to go through the whole tour, be prepared to stand for long time.

Visited March 2013