“Unique sushi experience” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of sushi kanazawa pte ltd

sushi kanazawa pte ltd
Ranked #3,121 of 10,424 Restaurants in Singapore
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian, Seafood
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Orchard Road
San Jose, California
“Unique sushi experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2014

This is a small restaurant that from the appearance and ambience alone, one would not think that it would serve such good sushi, but it did.

We avoided the ala carte buffet version, and ordered what we liked. The sushi came seared at the top with a blow torch, kind of half cooking the fish. I know I dont do justice to the sushi by describing it this way, but the resultant taste and texture is very unique! Aside from the basic fish taste/texture, the firing of the surface adds a smoky flavor to the fish and changes the texture of the seafood - eg the scallop, while not liquefying, became quite soft - an interesting texture. All this on top of the rice which is just the right portion/flavor/texture to add firmness and foundation to the overall dish. Quite a unique presentation! Normally I enjoy eating my sushi with the wasabi and a dip of the soy sauce, but I found myself avoiding this combination as the sushi themselves were quite flavorful in themselves. I guess the big difference between a traditional sushi and this version to me, is in the taste and texture - the former is valued for the purity and subtlety of taste and texture, the latter, more like a cooked dish but not quite cooked....

The food is good, presentation ok, but the ambience as a Japanese restaurant is not quite there. It is small but feels more packed than "Japan-spaced". We sat at the counter, but could barely see the chefs at work with a high serving wall between us. Chefs are locals, but doesnt detract from the quality of food served, except without the mannerism of the Japanese chefs, something that is so quintessentially "the Japanese food experience".

I would go back for the food, but I think the potential for this restaurant could be so much more if they paid attention to "all the senses" as the traditional Japanese restaurants do - they do have the main ingredient in the food quality down - now for the rest of the senses!

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank greenham01

“Enjoyable experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2014

Having visited Sushi Kanazawa sometime ago (when it was named Sushi Kikuzawa), through reviews and recommendations of friends, I decided to pay them another visit as I remember the sushi there was fresh and palatable. This little Japanese restaurant is located at 360 Orchard Road #02-13 International Building, Singapore 238869 and the number for reservations is 6738 3833.

A traditionally-furnished Japanese food bar, Sushi Kanazawa only seats about 10-12 at one time, so do make your reservations to avoid disappointment. While diners are perched on the comfortable high seats, the friendly and attentive chefs prepare sushi items right in front of diners, and serve them fresh. We opted for the ala-carte buffet lunch, and awaited the surprises that awaited us.

We were first served appetizer items such as Edamane (Japanese green peas) lightly salted and a bowl of Nikijaga (stewed chicken, radish slice, fried tofu cube and mysterious-jelly broth) was tasty and welcoming since it was piping hot.

A tantalizing platter of Sashimi Moriawase - raw tuna, shrimp, white fish and squid, was served next. I loved the fresh tastiness of it all, with slight hints of chewiness. My only qualms were that we were only allowed one serving of this dish, and they did not include my favorite salmon and swordfish sashimi.

Nonetheless, moving on, we savoured the Unagi Aburi (river eel) sushi served next - slightly crispy with hints of smokiness amongst the sweet eel taste. It was so, so buttery smooth and tender it melted in the mouth - nothing of the "boney" texture of unagi served by other Japanese restaurants. I had a second helping on this.

Next, the Saba (mackerel) - another tender creation that was quickly stuffed into the mouth to be devoured. The torched Shake Aburi (seared salmon) was the winner here - succulent and smokey on the top and chewy beneath - because only the top was torched. I loved the texture and taste of this delicacy.

Then we were served the Amaebi Mentai Aburi (seared sweet prawn with cod roe) - another expertly blowtorch application by the chef - the delicious blend of slightly charred, saltish roe that melted in the mouth stacked atop of the succulent raw sweet prawn was heavenly. I loved this divine dish - and had a second helping on this as well.

For more detailed information and photos, do visit:

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank TheArcticStar
“Good Lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2013

I took a friend for lunch. We went for the $29.90 buffet which we enjoyed. The place in small but service is efficient and food is good. All together, with beer the billed added to $83.35 inc get and service. This is not cheap.

• Visited June 2013
Tampa, Florida
“Horrible Dining Experience/Mediocre Sushi at Best”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

My wife and I decided to get the advertised sushi buffet special for 48 or so Singapore dollars each. The sushi chef started out by bringing a variety of sashami and sushi one by one. The sushi negeri had a lot of rice and just little slivers of fish and eventually after eating several pieces I began to just eat the fish, not wanting to fill up on rice. After seeing that I didn't eat two or three portions of the negeri rice, the chef came over to me immediately and said, "You must eat all your rice." A bit confused, I kind of laughed thinking that he was kidding or just being weird. Eventually the chef mentioned it again to me and then the manager came over and said, "You must eat all your rice, or we will not serve you any more sushi." I thought I was being punked or something, I mean for come on! I paid 48+ Singapore dollars for an all you can eat sushi and then I get treated like a 5 year old, being told, "Eat your rice!" Bottom line, find a different sushi bar..the sushi was mediocre at best and the owners are obviously focused on trying to maximize their profits, not satisfy their customers.

• Visited August 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Phillycostello
Singapore, Singapore
“Great Buffet, Great Value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013

This outlet was recommended by a friend to try. I wanted to try out this restaurant for quite awhile but opportunity never strike!. However, I finally had a chance to try out last week. This is a small sushi bar at the International Building. Cozy and Quiet. Service is great! They are very attentive and sincere. Food - Excellent!, Taste - Unique! Choices - Decent for Buffet. have interesting choices. Food is very fresh, you can just taste it. The grilled one, you can taste the charcoal flavor in your mouth. Price - a little over average for the Buffet but Worth every cents! Reservation is highly recommended, for weekends and friday nights, maybe, one or two days in advance. This is a place I wouldn't mind going again and never say No to.

• Visited May 2013