“Delicious! Get there early or late, a little too expensive but going again!”
Review of Esquina

Esquina
Ranked #53 of 11,380 Restaurants in Singapore
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Chinatown
Description: Inspired by the colourful tapas bars found in Spain, ESQUINA offers modern Spanish tapas in a unique location surrounded by post-war colonial buildings, hip coffee joints and old-school home-style restaurants. Helming the kitchen is head chef Carlos Montobbio who has worked in Michelin-starred restaurants such as Celler de Can Roca (3 stars), Zuberoa (2 stars) and Cinc Sentits (1 star). Designed by Singapore-based Columbian architect Antonio Eraso, ESQUINA features a long communal bar and open kitchen with specially designed stools made in the UK.
Reviewed October 31, 2012

I almost cried at the exquisite flavours of the iberico pork and foie gras burger...unbelievable! The chefs seem to almost work just for you. Squid was also fab, Had lots of dishes and lots of wine. It was a little ott in pricing I thought - but loved the food so much I'll be back, plus looking forward to going to 22 Ships newly opened in HK. The deserts, esp the orange marmalade toasted brioche, were amazing - and the chef slipped us a few free tasters. The lovely manageress was so welcoming, although one of the staff could have done with being able to explain the specials a bit better! We got there at 9.20 and had no probs getting seats for 2 on a thursday, also there were tables outside.

EsquinaPollenKSS, Manager at Esquina, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for your feedback. We are happy to hear that you had a wonderful experience at Esquina and enjoyed our food and service. It was a pleasure to have you with us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Reviewed October 25, 2012 via mobile

Esquina, a sliver of a restaurant in a part of Chinatown, away from tourists and tourist-trap vending stalls, provides a tapas-style menu in a non-Spanish style
environment. This is my fourth or fifth visit this year and it has quickly grown into one of my favs in Singapore.

What I like about the place is that it has an open kitchen- actually the open kitchen is the other side of the long-counter bar. There are only a few 2-top tables away from the bar in the tiny restaurant. Otherwise, there are a few tables outside; but who wants to sit outside in hot and humid Singapore weather. I enjoy sitting at the bar and interacting with the chefs who are preparing and cooking the meals. The food is tasty, well presented and suitable for sharing with your dining companion. They have a decent selection of wines, which I have partaken of each time I have dined there. Their furnishings remind me of quirky antique shop finds one would see in Santa Fe, Portland, or Austin in the U.S.

If I could upload photos on the trip advisor iPhone app, I would upload photos of the food, but I am not sure that this app allows it.

Esquina is not a recommended venue for a big party. A dinner for two is ideal. Dinner for four may be cumbersome at the bar, unless you grab the seats at the corner of the bar, or you can grab a little table outside and the party of four huddles around it.

When my hubby and I discuss where to go out for dinner, esquina usually comes up. The only reason we do not go there every week is because we do not live in Chinatown and we can only eat Iberico jamon, beautiful beet salad, oysters, mini burgers and drain couple bottles of wine in moderation...

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your dining experiences at Esquina and it was a pleasure to have you with us! Do visit us again soon and check out our exciting new dishes from our refreshed a la carte menu following our first anniversary. We look forward to seeing you.

Reviewed October 24, 2012

I perform horribly at Tapas bars, meaning I always overeat and over spend. With the lack of a proper "Starters, Mains and Desserts" structure for a meal, I find myself over ordering and over eating. Which is a happy problem at Esquina because the staff is amazing, the crowd is cool and slightly rowdy, the place smells amazing and you are constantly entertained with chefs darting around getting the food ready. Must try the Spanish breakfast.. runny eggs and iberico ham is simply heavenly.

Dear Guest
Thank you for your feedback. We are happy to hear that you had a great experience at Esquina and enjoyed our food and service. It was a pleasure to have you with us and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed October 17, 2012

But have to say its average. Not bad and food prepared with care, but nothing popped. I am still waiting for someone to open a really authentic tapas bar in Singapore, something at the level of a Cal Pep, perhaps that's too big an ask.

Ps place is small and does not take reservations, go early to avoid a long wait.

1  Thank BornVivant

Dear Guest
Thank you for your feedback. Esquina features an open kitchen setting as with most tapas bars in Spain and guests are served on a first-come-first-served basis. The waiting time may be slightly longer during peak hours but we will try to get you seated as soon as we can. We hope you will visit us again in the future where we can have the chance to provide you with a better dining experience. Thanks once again for dining with us!

Reviewed October 7, 2012

Great, diverse, fresh food. Served quickly in a vibrant setting. Well designed location. Great value for money. Overall great place!

Dear IIan
Thank you for your feedback! We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your experience at Esquina and look forward to welcoming you back soon!