“Really nice hotel with superb breakfast”
Review of Kam Leng Hotel

Kam Leng Hotel
Ranked #253 of 317 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed October 26, 2012

Based on all the reviews on trip advisor of this and other similarly priced hotels in Singapore i had hugely low expectations. However people are quite deluded because this hotel is absolutely fine.

Good location - 10 mins walk from Lavender. The hotel is a strange mix of concrete and colour and has a cool retro feel to it. The room is nice, clean, not too small. Flatscreen TV, big bed, the usual. The room is quite noisy as its next to a main road.

One thing i must say is get breakfast included! (it only cost us £4 extra per night). Its not your average buffet of cereals its a full menu of freshly cooked food, bacon and eggs, pancakes, french toast etc. It is truly the best breakfast ive had in 2 months of travelling (including some 5 star places).

All in all a good hotel, ignore the moaners on tripadvisor

3  Thank Theengelbert

Reviewed October 22, 2012

I booked this hotel for my parents last week for 2 nights and really glad that they like it. the location is very convenient, walking distance from little india, mustafa and bugis. Although we should take bus or walk to nearest mrt, but bus stop to downtown/mrt are available across the street. If first time coming here, Taxi driver weren't familiar with this hotel since it was just renovated in this year, so you should be extra attentive to research about the place location.

This heritage hotel is newly renovated, it is very clean although they decided to kept its old ceramic-floor, instead of warm carpet, but this looks unique. Another impressive thing is the shower is so powerful and have 2 different choices of shower. I will just list my pro's and con's:
# pro
1. convenient area, near from tourist attraction
2. my room wasn't located in front of the road so it was quite and peaceful
3. clean room with dim lighting.
4. big flat-tv attached
5. fast check in and check out
6. powerful and mood-booster shower
7. safety box and fridge are available
8. large bathroom
9. old-heritage hotel

#con
1. I set the Aircon on 21C still not chilly
2. There was a tissue layers to scotch-up something in the window, I don't know what this aimed for
3. Floor is so humid/ without carpet
4. so-so pillows
5. wardrobe is not available, only clothes hanger

With its price and facilities, this absolutely a worth staying!

Room Tip: The lift is small so better to take a low storey so you can take the stairs and pick a room that isn...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank dianias
Reviewed October 21, 2012

We were doing a stop over for 3 nights coming from the uk to Australia, but thought we would break up the journey. Never again will I stay in this hotel and would not recommend it to anyone. The staff are not friendly, when we arrived at 8am he abruptly told us check in is not until 2! (This was as we were pulling our cases through the door, not even a hello or smile. After a 12hour flight all we wanted to do was leave our cases in the hotel and then go relax at the marina bay for 6hours before we could finally get some sleep. After he eventually allowed us to leave our stuff in the hotel, we asked how to get to marina bay to which he replied information point and pointed down the street. (Where we couldn't find one) it took us 45 minutes to get to the marina, and have used taxis ever since. Not in a convenient place at all, the taxi drivers have never heard of the hotel and we had to try and explain where it is to them each time we got into the taxi. The room was small, but an ok size to sleep in, however the floor was made from tile so really cold. And the bathroom is along side the bed as a wet room, that has glass walls (so you have to be really comfortable with who your staying with). We had a front facing room and although we were on the 3rd floor the noise of the traffic was so loud. With the tea and coffee you just get creamer so you have to go out and get your own milk. For the price I paid I think next time I may as well stay in the centre and save money on taxis. Would not recommend to anyone.

Room Tip: Close to the marina and places of interest, saves money on taxis.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank K4te08
Reviewed October 15, 2012

This hotel did not meet our expectations. Service was functional at best, with no assistance beyond check in. Lift did not work and concrete floor room was acceptable only. Good area close to Mustafa centre, and great foodcourt, and taxi ride to China Town. Overall mixed experience, ok for 1 or 2 nights.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Fwhanau
Reviewed October 9, 2012 via mobile

Nice little place to stay in Little India. Rooms are small but still big enough that you are not on top of each other. staff are friendly and upgraded our room when we arrived - a nice touch! try the hawker centre opposite, there is some really tasty food to be had.

1  Thank PinkCherryBlossom
Reviewed October 6, 2012

The hotel is nice and has a special feel about it. The location is convinent and food places are nearby. I would definitely rconvinentThe hotel. Close proximity to Mustafa centre and sera goon road.

My total stay was 3 nights

1  Thank Fahad-Ahmed
Reviewed September 27, 2012

I booked directly from hotel website and saved on 3 nights. I reserved the "deluxe" room and when I arrived about 2 AM from my long overseas flights, they said they upgraded me for free to the "executive." Now, I am not sure what the other rooms are like, but this "executive" room was more like a nice superior style or something.

Pros:

2 free bottles of water and coffee/tea provided daily in room.
Flat-screen LCD TVs on the wall in front of bed.
VERY comfy beds with good supportive matteresses.
Dark room (for me it's good, since I like to have darkness in the morning light).
Good front desk help. My luggage was left behind in Seoul and they took it in for me with a late night drop-off the next day from airport courier.
Area is good. It is close enough to two MTR stops and I like having Little India close by.
I loved the showers. Three wash options in my room, with a rainfall shower head too.

Cons:

No luggage storage options. They need collapsible luggage racks at least!
I got a quiet room since I asked for one. Someone else here was right in saying that it gets kind of noisy but not really between 10 pm and 8 am. You do hear the annoying scraping of the cheap wooden chairs on the tile from other rooms though.
Maybe could be a little less expensive, but overall, with the recent rennovations, it is probably fair in price, compared to other Singapore hotels. This city is expensive!
Front desk staff could be a little more outgoing. But they were cool enough.
Small, free Internet laptop avaiable with no real place to sit or put your legs even. Plus they charge 50 cents to print a page!

I'd stay again here. I wasn't put off at all. I give it 4 stars for my own experience, which was just what I needed and right on target. Thanks!

Room Tip: Top floor if possible. So you don't hear the chairs scraping from above. There is a short cut...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo