The Claremont Hotel is convienently located in front of the Mustafa Center on Sarangoon Road and this is the only thing going for it. Their is only one lift serviceing the rooms and their is no Hotel lobby area except a porky little reception area and a tour desk which houses a desk for the tour operator and a sofa that looks like it came from a old reject shop. The rooms are air-conditioned and have a bar fridge that is stocked with cans of coke extra. The rooms smell musky- that very old like smell you get in old propertys. Bathrooms very old with mold on the ceilings. But don't be convinced that this is a nice Hotel. In fact I booked mine online because on the outside pictures of the Hotel looks pretty ok. Looks can be deceiving and I was somewhat deceived by the look of the Hotel from the outside.
To say the least whilst I was there, I travelled around Singapore in a Taxi and to get dropped of at this Hotel I found myself always trying to cover my embarrasment to the Taxi Drivers that obviously new that this was not your ordinary Hotel. In fact no Taxi Driver even heard of it and I had to explain to them where it actually was.
The breakfasts was included and to you had to go down to the "basement" to start the buffet. However what we had as a buffet was very ameteur. This was not you ordinary buffet. In fact the Hotel only has Vegetarian buffet only and what we got was Toast, Cerials, Vegetarian Noodles, Boiled Eggs, Fried Chips, Vegetable Samosa and a disgusting concoction of Orange juice I have ever tasted (Packet powdered stuff). My advise is your better of eating outside somewhere in Little India.
The Hotel has no entertainment area or anything as such as this is a two star hotel. All I can say is this- If you are use to looking at 3 star and 4 star and above Hotels then this will be a shocking surprise. I stayed 4 days here and by the fourth day I think my sences had sought of come acustomed to the surroundings. Also one thing I noticed is that the Hotel caters for a vast number of Indians/Pakistanis and I did not find any westerners here at the hotel for the four days I stayed. I am assuming this to be because of the location being in Little India and due to the ever popular close proximity to the Mustafa Centre being a major convinence to them.
Overall if you only want a place to sleep then this Hotel maybe what your looking for. It is cheap but you should not expect alot from it. The rooms are extreamly outdated and are in need of serious refurbishment but is somewhat "clean" to an extent (could be much better). Old place Lingering smell persists. In my opinion and having stayed in 3 plus hotels and above in Asia, this Hotel rates as Terrible and is a dump whilst its little saving grace being right opposite Mustafa Centre and an Indian Restaurant next door giving a fair buffet for around 14 singapore bucks. Don't expect a porter to take your baggage up because their isnt any and expect to struggle carrying baggage in the porky rickety lift to your room.
On a rating of 1 to 10 I would rate this around a 3. Faulty Towers is even better. A real Budget Hotel
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Claremont Hotel is a value hotel offering affordable hotel room stays and strategically located on Serangoon Road, the main street coursing through the Little India district. Claremont Hotel offers real value for money with its extremely accessible location to The Farrer Park MRT Station (NE8)and is just a short 2-minute walk to hotel doorstep. Located opposite the hotel is Mustafa Center, a 24-hour shopping haven. Leisure and business travelers can get almost anything from the shops around here. Visitors arriving at Changi Airport can zip through the MRT train system and reach the comfort of Claremont's hotel room in less than an hour. Step out of Claremont Hotel and you run smack into the Little India, one of Singapore's oldest and culturally rich district. Crossing the Serangoon Road, visitors will encounter a labyrinth of short and lengthy lanes dotted with multi-colored restored Pre-War shop houses; in pink, green, yellow, blue, purple, and red, orange and turquoise that is an attraction itself. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Agoda and HotelQuickly so you can book your Claremont Hotel Singapore reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Singapore Claremont Hotel
- Claremont Hotel Singapore