“Would do budget hotel”
Review of Fort Canning Lodge

Fort Canning Lodge
Ranked #162 of 317 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here last year for our honeymoon. We booked with this hotel since we figured out that we would mostly be out of the hotel room. Booking was okay, we only needed to deposit a small reservation amount and is refundable when we cancel. Room was just okay, we had a good view of the hotel's pool. Staff are just okay also. The hotel is also a good walking distance from dhoby ghaut station, you just have to go thorugh park mall. Breakfast was just okay, there was just this white cake pudding like that we didn't like at all.

Overall, this is an okay hotel to stay if you're not exactly staying much at the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank Arlene P

Reviewed May 19, 2013

Good clean rooms, lots of space, very good breakfast. Note, as this is a YWCA it doesn't have a bar. Very good location with an MRT just behind (accessed through a car park) and great value for what you actually get. I booked this without realising it was a YWCA and then worried it was going to be backpacker central but it really isn't like that at all, its professional, modern and very clean. Good mini bar with specials on too (2 cokes for $5). The bed was firm but my other half likes it like that.

Room Tip: When getting cabs make sure you say its the YWCA otherwise they get confused and take you to the For...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Giggle_71
Reviewed May 1, 2013

Booked this by mistake, didn't realise it was a YWCA. Only positive things were great handy location and clean rooms.
Surly unhelpful staff who always seemed to have more important things to attend to on the computer. No travel brochures in reception, had to ask for a tourist map and were given a brochure for tours. No suggestions as to what to do or where to go, just vague pointing when asking where things were.
The rooms are not insulated against noise from other guests and we were wakened at 6.30am by a child playing with a ball in the corridor.
Breakfast was included in the room rate, but the cold milk was tepid as was the 'hot' food. The selection wasn't very appealing.
There is nowhere to relax in the lobby or to have a cup of coffee and cake. We spent a lot of time wandering around the city because we couldn't face going back to the Lodge. The internet access is a rip off.
We booked a tour and were advised by a receptionist that it had been confirmed. We were in reception before 8am as advised and waited more than 35 minutes before enquiring with the same person who had confirmed the tour to be told that it had been cancelled. Having been waiting infront of the reception desk for all that time I would have thought it would have been easy enough to tell us.
We arrived in the early hours of the morning after a long haul flight, but if we had arrived in day time we would have forgone the money we paid and found alternative accommodation.
If you are planning just an overnight stopover or just need a bed and will be eating out and sightseeing all day it's fine, but if you prefer your accommodation with some comfort, service and helpful reception staff there are plenty of alternatives in Singapore.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 25, 2013

We stayed here for 1 night with our 3 children. As we arrived after 7 at night and were checking out at 7 the next morning we didn't want to pay too much...which is tricky in Singapore when you have a family of 5.
The rooms were basic but clean and ours was spacious. The kids had a quick swim...good pool. Good location...a short walk to shopping centres.
Our only issue was some confusion with the breakfast. As we were checking out early we requested an early breakfast...no problem apparently...so we turned up at 6.30 but instead in the morning we were given a little (unappetising) lunch bag...shame...the breakfast in the restaurant looked okay. Perhaps it was someone new on the desk who was unsure. However the next morning the reception person spent half an hour trying to get us a taxi so we wouldn't miss our connection...just a warning in Singpore the taxis seem to disappear or become in such high demand...he got us one and all good.
I have given it an "average" rating, but if there was a "good" I would do that. This hotel ticked all the boxes for this price and if I were transiting again I would have no hesitation in staying here or even if staying longer with a larger family where cost considerations come into play.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Familyof5sydneyZzzzz
Reviewed April 23, 2013

I have to admit I was a slightly concerned that I discovered that an agent had booked us into a YWCA for a 2 night visit to Singapore. My concerns were unfounded as I found this establishment to be as good as any budget class hotel I have stayed in. My Thai girlfriend, myself and 5 of her nieces and nephews set off to the "Lion City" as a treat for the children because they had done so well at school. We had three ensuite rooms all of which were clean and spacious. Each room had a well stocked mini-bar and toiletries provided. Security was good too with use of a swipe card in the lift to gain access to the relevant floor. Breakfast was provided and although not a great gastronomic feast, I found it perfectly adequate for the day ahead. On our final day in Singapore we arrived back at the YWCA (having earlier checked out and put the bags in storage). Hot and sweaty I was desperate to freshen up before our flight back to Bangkok.. I was allowed to use the gents shower in the swimming pool area on the third floor. Again, facilities were excellent and clean and was even provided with a fresh clean towel. As for the swimming pool, I do not think I have seen such a nice one in any of the many hotels I have stayed at. In relation to location you can't get much better. Minutes away from the Dhoby Ghaut metro station and Orchard Road shopping area. You won't need to exert much energy reaching home each night. Overall, I would say that the Fort Canning Lodge would be a good choice for someone looking for affordable accommodation to stay at in Singapore.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank hardy_ho
Reviewed April 15, 2013

The hotel is nice enough - an excellent location that is close to everything but isolated enough to be quiet. The hotel is steps away from the Dhoby Ghaut metro station (see an earlier comment for the shortcut through the parking garage). The room itself was comfortable enough - big bed with comfortable linens and pillows.

In my case, the aircon thermostat didn't seem to work - it was either "on" (and freezing) or "off" (and too humid). So there were middle-of-the-night adjustments to prevent freezing.

The big problem for me was the price of wifi internet service. A charge of SGD 26.75++ for 24 hours of internet access seems pretty outrageous to me. Because of this, I am unable to recommend this hotel, despite some very positive aspects.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 15, 2013

This is by far the best hotel in its class that I have been to in Singapore. I give this hotel an A for location. The location is perfect, it adjoins a park and within the central business district and very near the national museum and other attractions, very good for early morning brisk walk or jogging. Good shopping and dining are all within walking distance being near Orchard Road. The hotel lobby and front desk are spacious, simply decorated and functional. With space being a premium in this part of the globe, this is luxurious. The hallway is pleasantly decorated and lighted. It is painted white, accented by the varnished doors and door jambs, wall lamps and red carpet over wooden floor tiles.

The executive room I had is very spacious with wide window and very tidy. The linens, towel and comforter are clean, the double bed and pillows are very comfortable. The room is provided with a mini-bar and complimentary hot drinks of tea and coffee and basic toiletries. The room is equipped with a hot pot, hair blower and a flat screen TV with good selection of English language programs. Light switches are provided by the bedside which is very convenient. The bathroom is spacious and very clean as well.

The front desk service is very professional and very thorough. My booking included breakfast, but since I was checking out early in the morning, the front desk arranged for a take out breakfast and a taxi.

The place, I think, is more popularly known as YWCA rather than Fort Canning Lodge. The taxi driver initially drove me to Fort Canning Hotel and after some clarification, the driver sighed and muttered, aah it is the YWCA.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business