“Perfect Chinatown Location”

Ranked #111 of 315 Hotels in Singapore
Chicago, Illinois
“Perfect Chinatown Location”
Reviewed May 1, 2013

This is a perfect location to explore Singapore, especially the sights, smells and food of Chinatown. About equidistant from two MRT stops, it's great for getting around to everywhere else as well. The staff is extremely helpful, and the rooms are a perfectly sized for a solo traveler or couple.

Room Tip: Definitely get a room with a balcony. My balcony was larger than the room itself, and I spent sever...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
NaumiHotels, Public Relations Manager at Naumi Liora, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Dear AShess9,

Thank you for reviewing us here on TripAdvisor and we are delighted to hear that you enjoyed the generous space in your personal porch and that you were able to explore the Chinatown area.
We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

PR & Marketing

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed April 21, 2013

We (two family members - siblings) stayed in Naumi Liora Hotel for six nights in April.
Pros:
+ The staff, especially the receptionists, were most friendly.
+ The check-in and check-out processes were done quickly and fast.
+ The room service and cleaning was good and done everyday if asked.
+ The bathrooms are separate from the main room by a solid door in contrast to many hotels, which preserves the privacy.
+ Hotel location is merely a five-minute walk to the Outram Park MRT station, which makes traveling in the city easy, fast and cheap.
+ Fast, free wifi internet access.
+ A free mini-bar of ice-creams, coffee, tea, biscuits, etc. in the lobby.

Cons:
- The most apparent problem - and the only problem we actually had - is with the cheap rooms not having windows. We had to stay in our room for half a day for some paperwork to do, and it wasn't a good experience. We wished the weather was good enough so that we could take out the documents outside, and do the rest. So the final words is that the cheaper rooms are good enough to stay for nights or to take some rest, and not for spending the time.

Tips:
* As some people had suggested here, we asked for a quiet room prior to our departure via email. The hotel responded quickly to mention that our request would be considered. When checking-in, they reminded us of our request, and provided us a room on the third floor. We had thus no problems of noises outside. So make sure to ask them when you do the booking (or prior to your departure) if quiet rooms are important to you.
* Cheaper rooms have no windows. Go for an upgrade if you can afford it, and again if the window is important to you.

Room Tip: * Ask for a quiet room prior to your departure. * Upgrade to a room with windows if you can afford...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Adventurist-Explorer
Dear BillKoochooloo,

Thank you for your feedback. It is great to know that you had a good overall experience at Naumi Liora, though we are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your room quite as much as we hoped you would. Nonetheless, we hope that if you would consider staying with us again, we will have the pleasure of extending our invitation for you to experience our spacious Liora Heritage and Liora Porch rooms.

Anchorage Alaska
Reviewed April 20, 2013

This is a charming and clean hotel with a helpful staff. We stayed in a room overlooking the street across from a small restaurant where locals had coffee and breakfast every morning. A short walk gets you to Chinatown's center and the wonderful food that it has to offer.

Dear fastawake,

Thank you for reviewing us here on TripAdvisor, and for submitting some accompanying photos. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back should your travels bring you back to Singapore!

Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed April 20, 2013

This hotel is located near to MRT Station : Outram Park, exit H and walk just around 5 minutes to reach Naumi Liora. It's not difficult to find foods around this hotel, no doubt for the taste.

The lobby was smelled good, I love it! The staff very helpful and nice, they do a service all out, I really appreciate it. they have a long table contains snacks at lobby, it's complimentary for all guests, we can take it for free as many as we want. I take some and eat at my room.

I got a room in the 3rd floor, it's clean, complete with hair dryer, 2 bottles mineral water, tea bags n coffee, comfort beds, LCD TV. The interior design is unique. The bathroom have water heater, but the size is very small.

I paid around S$ 190 for a night, it's quite expensive, but frankly the rate of all hotels in Singapore is not cheap.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank M4121a
Dear M4121a,
Thank you for your review and we are delighted to hear of your pleasant stay with us here at Naumi Liora. We strive to provide quality and value for ours guests and it is great to know that you appreciated it.
We hope to welcome you back for another enjoyable stay soon!

Reviewed April 17, 2013

I wanted a weekend staycation and thought I would give Naumi Liora a try. They were having a promotion. Reading the reviews here, I was prepared that the size of the rooms are fairly small. So I booked the Porch room hoping it will not suffocate. I saw the photos of the Porch room on their website and it looks like a room I would stay in for the weekend of hibernation.
I paid around S$260 for the porch room. I saw at the check-in desk that walk in rate is $500++!
I will definitely not pay walk in price. It's just not worth it. Now, let me explain why.

Upon Check-In
1)They have the nibbles available at the check-in desk. Nice touch.
2)The room was on the ground floor (which is fine) and it was not the porch that is shown in the pictures (no problem). But the problem lies with the fact that the porch given to us was so badly maintained that the paint was peeling from the walls and there was so many mosquitos! Yes, even in the room as there were gaps in the door between the porch and the room. I had 5 kisses from the mosquitos. Dengue alert.
3) Do note that just behind this porch is public area and the said door between the room and the porch is NOT LOCKABLE. The front desk didn't even know about that and they said they do not know where they can get the key to lock the door. Now, if you are as paranoid/cautious a traveller as me, you are bound to have bad sleep.
4) They showed me another Porch room on the second floor and guess what... The door between the porch and room DID have a latch. I turned the latch and off came the whole latch. (I thought this hotel is quite new?) And it's very VERY small so not much of a walking space there.

So anyway, I stayed back on the ground floor with the bigger room (same price).

Room
5) Bedroom slippers are solely Upon Request only.
6) No bath-rope available
7) HD TV but... the TV network and reception is very poor. So most of the channels are pretty blur. Channel 5, completely inaudible. Now, what's the point of having a HD TV if the hotel cannot sort out with the service provider to enhance the reception?!
Note- A call to the front desk confirmed that there is nothing they can do about the reception.

Porch
8) Badly maintained. They should touch up the paint because I see stains on the walls and the paint is peeling off.
9) No shelter so no going out when it rains. And be prepared for mosquitos.
10) They should change the porch door to those lockable ones. Robbers and rapists are just a porch wall away. Fortunately, Singapore is pretty safe.

Toilet
(I have to say, this is where this whole deal falls apart. It is such a shame as it has so much potential)
11) Expect MINIMUM amenities!
12) Face towels are not provided.
13) I had to request for a shower cap as housekeeper left that out.
14)The flush was not working well. Expect "peekaboo".
15) The shower wouldn't turn on and when I tried the "knob", it came off (What's happening?). I stood there, butt-naked, fiddling with the shower before putting on my clothes and asking for assistance.
16) There was only one FIXED rain shower on the ceiling. For those who do not want to get their hair wet, be prepared to stand in an awkward angle. No, you can't just wash your feet with your clothes on too. The hotel might deem it unnecessary.
17) No glasses in the toilet for your toothbrushes. Put it lying down at the sink or back in your toiletries bag.
18) The water in the shower gets cold after a while. (This irritates me the most)

For those of you who have endured my rant till so far, thank you.
Lastly, I would like to commend on their service staff in this hotel. Most of them are pretty personable and real. Some are just making small talk but you know they aren't really interested in the day. If you have made a booking here, please go out and take in the surroundings. They have very nice restaurants and cafes. There are a lot of wonderful korean restaurants that's quite worth the buck. More than this hotel.

Room Tip: If you have booked a porch room, request for the bigger porch room. There are a few sizes for the po...
3 Thank fantacia
NaumiHotels, Public Relations Manager at Naumi Liora, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Dear fantacia,

Thank you for sharing your constructive feedback with us here on TripAdvisor and please accept our sincere apologies for failing to provide a comfortable environment for your weekend getaway.

Your points on the faulty door latch, paintwork and shower knob have been rectified since your stay with us and the respective departments will work towards stepping up maintenance efforts to ensure that these issues do not arise again.

Nonetheless, we appreciate that you have given a balanced viewpoint and acknowledged the friendly and helpful service provided by Liora Aides. We will continue to ensure that this is consistent for every guest experience.

Again, thank you for your feedback and please accept our apologies for failing to meet your expectations.

Carlisle, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Having disembarked 'Queen Victoria' we arrived early am for 3 nights stay on 27th March.Met by kind and courteous staff,offered a coffee and advised our room was ready.
The room (307) on the 3rd floor was small but comfortable and clean.Plenty of space for hanging clothes with separate shower/toilet.It was strange not having a window in the room (the torch on the bedhead came on when removed from its holder) but we soon got used to it(cheaper than other rooms we looked at) and surprised how quiet it was enabling us to get a good nights sleep.
Breakfast taken in small restaurant next door to hotel with more friendly staff.They don't do cooked breakfasts however,only cereals,cold boiled eggs,cold ham,cheese,toast,tea/coffee.
We did enjoy two evening meals in this restaurant,although a shade on the expensive side.
The hotel is well situated in China Town,handy for wandering around the various markets with plenty of eating places.
We used MRT (underground) a lot for visiting the many sites and attractions.The nearest one being "Outram Park",a mere 10 minute walk.
We would certainly recommend this hotel,all the staff were very helpful.They'll even print off your boarding pass.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Norman B,
Thank you for reviewing us here on TripAdvisor. It's great to know you enjoyed your stay in the cosy and private Liora Quaint room, and that you were able to explore the neighbourhood. We hope you will choose to return if your travels bring you back to Singapore!

Reviewed April 16, 2013

Wife and I stayed for 1 night: Sat-Sunday. We booked the Porch room with the One Night Stay online offer ($35 upgrade to Porch from the quaint room).

First impressions was that the room is really small! I know that every review said the same thing, but it is small-ler in person. Plus, the room I got differed from the online picture, so it took me a while to process it. I did realize it was probably the configuration of the space more than anything.

The porch was interesting, didn't use at all, but I could see the appeal if you smoked or decided to get drunk with a couple of friends. I just feel Singapore is too stinking hot to really enjoy an outdoor enclosed porch area.

Bed was comfy, but the sheets were a little stained, and so was the little runner at the foot of the bed. The decor pillows also smelled bad. I think the sheets were clean, just that the stains probably were stubborn and impervious to the bleach and chemicals. It was just kind of disturbing initially. I guess thats what I do when I first get on the bed: scrutinize how pristine the sheets are.

Bathroom was small, but sufficient and quite nicely finished. The floor towel holder was a bit hazardous as it stuck out(erect) pretty far from the wall, and seeing that the bathroom was pretty narrow, I had quite a few close encounters. Another thing was that the shower wets the floor (no door), so be prepared to have a wet floor towel most of the time.

The overall I'd say my experience was a positive one. I requested for a quiet room, and had no rude awakenings while I slept. So definitely no complaints there. Although, it may have been due to there being less occupants, I really do not know. Just FYI, I was in Rm 206, and this was the second weekend of April. Front desk service was great: personable and very polite, yet professional at the same time. Hotel felt up market: the smells, the overall finish, and the staff all played their part in making my experience a good one.

I came for a nice romantic getaway for our anniversary, and this hotel definitely sufficed. What made it better was the location. Plenty to eat/drink/party (whatever your vice) up till the wee hours of the morning. Quite a bit of tourist sites too if you are from out of the country.

Just to recap
I definitely think, Naumi Liora has done a great job in living up to its service standards and to a certain extent, its aesthetic. But I also feel, there could be better deals at this price range. Better deals meaning full service hotels, with more floor space. You are really paying for the heritage, and the authenticity of staying in a historic area and possibly getting a more Singaporean experience.

Room Tip: 206 was the Porch room which served me well in being quiet. And if you want food in the middle of th...
2 Thank bennelli