“Great location”
Review of Hotel Miramar

Hotel Miramar
Ranked #111 of 317 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed September 12, 2013

We had a great view overlooking the river. Good location across the river from Robertson's & Clarke Quays. Walking distance to Chinatown, good shopping there, great food also. We were also able to walk to the Marina & Raffles Hotel, though some may find that a bit far. Enjoyed the pool in the afternoons. We didn't take the breakfast as it was overpriced & there is good food available nearby at a more reasonable cost. Room was comfortable, as it should be at that price! I guess that's Singapore for you!

Room Tip: Take the river view - the rooms may be newer
1  Thank dontravgav

Reviewed September 11, 2013

I haven't been to a hotel that breakfast not transferred able and I was told the company only pay for my husband stay and not me!!! I accompany my husband for his training. Guess what, I kept the toiletries and the housekeeping came in noticing why it's finishes daily so he too did not refill
some of the toiletries and worst was I can't sleep late in this hotel as the housekeeping will kept knocking my door for cleaning and even called me ..... what the heck!
I though hotel was for guest to rest! I been traveling with my husband on his business trips and also staying to 5 stars hotel they won't say this kind of words nor being rude in front desk. yes the front desk reception was rude when you ask them something they replied u but after with a rude turning away and just try to look into her eyes!!! have a pleasant stay those who decided to make a booking now and think twice!!!

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank jackieloke
Reviewed September 11, 2013

Stayed at this Hotel late Aug 2013 for a week. By and large this is typical 3.5 star hotel designed for people who perhaps working in Singapore for a time and just need somewhere to sleep and eat. The De Luxe room we had, was about the size of any standard hotel room. Views are of other hotels and some cityscape. No balconies available. Swimming pool is tucked between a hillside and the back of the hotel and is warm and clean. It is around 20 m long and 8 m wide. Not big, but not used much when we were there.
Food is as good as you'll get in most hotels. Presented well and a good variety. Dining starts at 6.00am and runs pretty much throughout the day with late mornings and afternoons being closed for preparation for next meal. But room service is available. Buffet Breakfast is around S$28pp. There are two up market restaurants within the hotel, but prices here, like most restaurants in Singapore, are expensive if you are on a budget. We preferred to eat in Chinatown if you like Asian food and elsewhere if you don't. Alcohol is expensive. We paid over S$1 per oz for Tiger Beer and this was normal. Stubbies start at around S$4.80 each outside of restaurants eg Groceries. Duty Free out of Singapore, alcohol is as cheap as eg Gordon's Gin at S$16.60 when we passed through.
For smokers, there are smoking rooms if you ask or one can sit outside in the designated smoking area at the front of the hotel beside the entrance.
The best thing about the Hotel are it's staff. Friendly, helpful, speak reasonable English if that is important and will go out of their way to assist. To be honest, we found everyone in Singapore friendly and helpful. Strangers will do what they can to point one in the right direction or if seeing you trying to work out something, will stop and ask if they can help.
Currency exchange is available at the front desk. Although one can get better rates elsewhere, this is convenient. Internet access is available via local hotspot and PC's which cost S$10/30 mins to use.
The Hotel is on Havelock St which is a two way street each having 3 lanes of traffic (a typical city street anywhere in the world) and it's location is on edge of CBD, so good access to anywhere. There is a Service station on one side and another Hotel on the other. Public transport by way of buses is right outside the hotel and the nearest MRT station is about 10 mins walk away at Chinatown.
I cannot say enough about the public transport system in Singapore. Suffice to say it is excellent and cheap. Buy yourself an Easycard for S$5 and add money for spending on bus and train fares. We ( 2 adults) spent about S$30 in 8 days and we used the system everywhere on 7 of those days. Taxis are cheap except for the Black Cabs (usually Mercedes) which can be 2 or 3 times the price. Cost of cab from airport to Hotel Miramar was S$19 each way, while Black Cabs or hotel limousine service S$70 each way. All available at the front of the Hotel.

Room Tip: I didn't see all of them, but from Hotel layout (highrise),and no balconies, I suspect they are...
4  Thank Peter C
Reviewed September 10, 2013

I have given this hotel 3 stars for two reasons: firstly the interior of this hotel is very tired and it could do with a makeover. Secondly, a few staff appear take the turn of concierge and try to be helpful but are not particularly knowledgable on the diverse range of attractions in Singapore and only seem to promote the hop on, hop off bus. The leaflets are available but not accessible. Much more knowledgible was the Singapore tourist desk in the Ion shopping mall on Orchard Street. The hotel does not have free wifi, and we found this to be a big minus. We were really pleased to have downloaded the Trip Advisor city guide app and so we could look at the attractions of Singapore offline. The hotel and rooms were very clean with water and toiletries replenished daily. We initially thought the hotel was not well situated but when we got to know the area, we realised that the hotel was in a favourable position with the river walk just across the road allowing a very pleasant walk through Clarke Quay into the city. It is also a 20 minute walk to Chinatown where there is an MRT station. Taxis were very cheap and plentiful outside the hotel. The 20 minute/21 kms journey from the airport to the hotel costs under €20. We had breakfast in the hotel one morning and it was OK with large selection at $28 each. At the time of writing, one dollar = 50p. The check out process was positive with suitcases taken into a safe room, there was a locker in reception for valuables with a $50 deposit and also guest rooms where you could shower if you had a late flight.

• Stayed: September 2013
3  Thank CarolWestSussex
Reviewed September 10, 2013

Firstly we were given a smoking room. The stench in the room and corridor was too much to bear. When we asked to change rooms, we were told very rudely that there were no double bed rooms available and we had to settle to twin beds.So we agreed to the twin bed rooms. The staff were very unhelpful and unfriendly. On the way to the airport the next day, I discovered that my Samsung galaxy mobile phone was stolen from my backpack which was kept with the rest of our luggage in the hotel "secured" luggage room when we checked out in the morning as we went sight seeing. From the airport I called and spoke to the manager and complained about this and he said he would get back to me via e-mail and I never heard from him again. This was >2 weeks ago.I advise travelers not to trust anyone at the hotel better not stay there.

3  Thank sjcf2013
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We were disappointed by our stay at the Miramar Hotel and wished we had picked another one.

The position of the hotel was reasonably good within walking distance of Clarke Quay where all the night life is. The pool area was also very nice with plenty of clean towels and shower area, we did make the most of this by returning for a cool down before going out in the evening. Also it is on the route of the hop-on-hop off bus which we used all the time. We also received a lovely gift of a plate of fresh fruit - maybe because it was our anniversary we are not sure.

Our main complaint was the cleanliness of the room. There were long dark hairs all over the bathroom, my husband dropped a bit of banana on the carpet and when he picked it up it was also covered in hairs. The worst part was that when, late at night, we pulled the covers back on the small bed there was a massive stain visible on the mattress cover showing through the sheet. Why did the room service not change it before we arrived I do not know. Also the white bedding had stains on it. It was too late and us too tired to complain I put a towel sheepishly over the stain under the sheet. The next morning I left a note by the bed and also made a complaint at the front desk - also asking for two tea cups as these were missing from the room.

When we came back to change to go to Raffles that day they were stripping the whole bed and things looked much cleaner. The cups never arrived and I had to ring again that evening, someone actually came to check the room to see if they were there before going away to get some more cups. We did get them in the end with a big handful of tea and whitener.

I suppose it is the luck of the drawer - if this had not happened it would have been completely different and the review may have been good, but it did give the stay a tint of disappointment.

2  Thank Julie L
Reviewed September 4, 2013

A nice hotel in a really great position. A very short walk to the riverside boardwalks and then lovely strolls past many different restaurants, malls and pretty bridges. Several of the Hop-on Hop-off buses stopped right outside and can be a cheap and easy way to get around, though they can be slow if you want to get to somewhere near the end of the route.
The rooms were fairly plain with coffee, tea facilities and a fridge(not filled with a minibar). I prefer not to have minibar stuff filling up the fridge so I have room for my own things.
We were only on the 9th floor, but still had a good view.
Staff were helpful and nice to deal with, especially the concierge who helped us plan our days to get the most fitted in the time available.
Food looked a bit expensive, so we went down to the riverside to eat.
The real negative was the matresses. All three were as hard as rocks and none of us could get much sleep.
Pity that the wifi was not free as it is in many other hotels.
I would have rated this hotel higher if the matresses had been comfortable as the location was so good.

Room Tip: If you don't like hard beds perhapes you could check if they have any with softer ones.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family