“Summer View Hotel” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #109 of 308 Hotels in Singapore
London
“Summer View Hotel”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2008

The only recommendation I can make for the Summer View Hotel is its central location. On arrival we found our standard twin room extremely shabby and the bathroom dirty. We were upgraded to a "De Luxe" double bedroom which was marginally better. The standard of this room was less than "Travel Lodge" standard.
The included buffet breakfast was poor, and we ate out after the first morning. If we hadn't pre-paid for our three nights I wouldn't have stayed.

• Liked — central location
  • Disliked — dirty and shabby small rooms
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank CasparLondon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Metro Manila, Philippines
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 29, 2008

I've been in better hotels, at the same price, in places like Kuala Lumpur and Macau. If you can get in Allson or City Bayview, go ahead, since they are nearer to Orchard Road than Summer View.

The nearest attraction to the hotel is the Singapore National Museum, which is around 5 minutes down Bencoolen Street.

The nearest MRT station is around 7 minutes. This would be the Bugis station which runs along the East-West Line (the line going to Changi Airport).

It is a very small hotel next to Burlington Plaza and Sim Lim IT Mall. I reserved for a double room. When my fiancee and I arrived, we got a twin room. I only got my double room after the 2nd day.

The room was the smallest I've been in to (for the same price I paid in other countries). No windows. Low bed. Small tv with very limited channels.

On the bright side, the room has the bare essentials. Clean bathroom. Continuous hot water. Cool airconditioner. And a substantial compliance bed.

If you're going to spend the day going around singapore, and only need a place to shower and sleep in, this is an option.

If you want comfort, pampering and expect to stay in the room, I don't recommend Summer View.

• Liked — the bare essentials
  • Disliked — small room
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ilocanotraveller
Shanghai
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2008

I stayed in the hotel for 3 nights. It was better than i thought cause I had stayed in some three-star hotels further up the road along Bencoolen street, and one of them had ants in the room and smelly bathroom. Here, in Summer View, the room is small but the sheets are clean and comfortable. The TV has sufficient channels to keep me entertained. The housekeeper would spray some air freshner after cleaning the room which is really pleasant to the senses. The hotel is also very near to internet cafes, hairdressing salons, 15mins walk to Bugis Junction, Raffles City and Plaza Singapura. If you are too tired to walk, try taking the public buses. Located just opposite the hotel are two bus-stops with buses that will bring you to Raffles city or even Bugis Junction or Orchard Road.

• Stayed February 2008
Singapore, Singapore
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2008

Okay, Singapore is not a great value for 3 star hotels anymore. For US$96/night we expected what their website said: "100 designer furnished guest rooms. All rooms are fully carpeted and tastefully furnished..." Ours was anything but. Very small, terribly worn and stained, felt grimy, smelled musty, and very limited TV channels (they say they have satellite, but satellite is actually illegal in SIN). Shampoo was in a broken dispenser on the wall. Breakfast highly mediocre. Pricey wireless - we went two doors down to a friendly and inexpensive internet cafe. Staff not unpleasant but not helpful either. Next time we'll bump up our budget a bit and seek out someplace more. If we were backpackers and aligned our expectations as such, this would have been fine. But we were on a long weekend holiday and this was no place to spend even a minute of extra time.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travelers are raving about these Singapore hotels

Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2008

This hotel is fantastic, staff excellent and nothing was a problem for them. Daily maid service. Room immaculate. Lemon Thai restaurant where you had breakfast, good food and again friendly efficient staff. Hotel is good value for money and very close to shops. 10-15 minutes walk to Orchard Rd - end to end shopping,10 minute walk to the famous Raffles Hotel, recommend the Singapore Sling in the Long Bar.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Nothing at all
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
Kuala Lumpur
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2007

My stay at Summer View was a terrible experience and I will be writing an official letter to the hotel management regarding the bad service as well as the outrageous attitude of one of their service staff at the reception. Her name is Mya. The hotel was recommended by our travel agent due to its great location and 3 star rating. We were also informed that it was supposed to be a new hotel, and its standards similar to the Allson Hotel. Based on my travel experience, I strongly feel that Summerview does not deserve the 3 star rating, mainly because the facilities' conditions are terrible and the rooms are not "designed guest rooms" as stated on their website. Most importantly, however, we were not treated well as guests.

For example, it took around 15 rings before the hotel's operator would pick up our call and whatever we requested never arrived at our room. In addition, I was asked to carry my own big suitcase to my room when I checked in because the hotel did not have any porters at 2300. Upon my check out at 0730 on Sunday, when we called for a porter, the phone was answered rudely by Mya (after almost 10 rings) who asked my elderly parents and I to carry our own bags (in total, 10 bags).

She also wanted to know how many people there were in our party and had the audacity to suggest that we could always go up and down the lifts, carrying the luggage, two pieces at a time since there was no porter at that time ! Although we understand that certain hotels do not employ 24-hour porters, we do expect their staff to assist us in other ways, such as providing trolleys etc for our use.

When I explained our predicament to Mya, she still refused to suggest any other ways to assist us and insisted that we carry our own bags (despite the fact that I had already earlier explained to her that I had 10 pieces of luggage, elderly parents and two very young children). Her most discourteous reply was, everyone carried their own bags in the hotel, so why couldn't we do the same??

The worst part of our experience was definitely the treatment accorded by Mya. When we complained that the service was bad, she said that she did not need our business, as the hotel was always full with guests from other countries and she didn't need business from Malaysians. In addition, she has also verbally abused my father, calling him "kurang ajar" which means "ill-bred". When we asked to speak to the manager, she then informed us that she is the person in charge there and is equivalent to a Manager at that time. She was constantly trying to verbally abuse my father during the entire ordeal and it was embarassing as there were other guests in the lobby at that time. Another receptionist was there at that time by the name of Wendy and she quickly ushered Mya to the back office and tried to calm my parents because as they were extremely traumatised by the incident and Mya's outrageous behaviour.

I will be writing to the hotel management and also copy the said letter to the Singapore Ministry of Tourism to report the incident. We have no doubt that the hotel location is very good and although we have acknowledged that that certain facilities are not up to par, at the very least the service accorded by the hotel's staff should have made up for its shortcomings. Much to the contrary, we were subject to the likes of Mya, whose behaviour was inexcusable, and should be subjected to disciplinary action which I hope the management will take against her, for the sake of the reputation of the Summer View hotel. This experience really spoilt our holiday in Singapore and I would certainly never recommend the hotel to anyone who wants a good time in Singapore. This is one of the worst hotels that my family and I have ever stayed in, anywhere.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Service
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
8 Thank JTayKL
Eastern Shore of Virginia, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2007

If you want a really clean, efficiently run tourist class hotel, this is an excellent choice. I was there for four nights and found it to be a great value with a price of $75 USD net /night I got online.

The room was adequate and well maintained. The air conditioning worked well and the shower was excellent. It is not luxury, but it is functionally pleasing.

There are many great Indian and Chinese hawkers easily within walking distance. Bugis MRT station is a ten minute walk. Clarke Quay and Boat Quay were about a twenty mintue walk. Getting taxis in the evening can be a pain, so have the hotel call for one and pay the extra few dollar surcharge.

The included breakfast at the Thai restaurant attached was sufficient, but not extraordinary.

Hotel staff was helpful and efficient.

From my experience, to upgrade to the next class of hotel in Singapore would cost another $75-100 USD. I really felt like I got a great deal.

• Liked — Value and great shower pressure!
  • Disliked — Getting taxis in evening
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple