“A Great stay at the Metro YMCA”

Metropolitan YMCA Singapore
Ranked #61 of 231 Specialty Lodging in Singapore
Perth, Australia
“A Great stay at the Metro YMCA”
Reviewed August 15, 2007

I recently stayed at the Metropolitan YMCA and I have to say, that I cannot have been happier!

I arrived at 3am with my daughter and was able to check in, with no problems.

The room was a twin, with a TV, Fridge and everything that we needed to settle in.

I travelled to HK for a week and came back to Singapore and stayed at the Metro YMCA for a second time.

The restaurant was great for all meals and the staff were always helpful.

We used the pool and always had a good time.

• Liked — Very safe and clean
  • Disliked — Honsetly cannot think of a thing
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank Aus_Dad

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
manila
Reviewed August 6, 2007

My criteria for judging hotels are simple: cleanliness, courtesy, efficiency, availability of hot water showers and baths, clean sheets, brewed coffee for me and fresh fruits for my daughter, and security.

I seriously do not understand why some people would totally diss the place. My daughter and I had an okay time at the Metro Y in the week we stayed there.

First, the Metro Y's location is perfect. It's quiet like a typical suburban neighborhood yet just 15 minutes away on foot from Orchard Road (that's timed with a 5-year old in tow). There is a bus stop in front and free shuttle to Orchard Road in the mornings for those who'd rather ride than walk.

We went to Singapore as tourists so most of the time we were out of the hotel. As a place to rest however, the room we got at the Metropolitan YMCA had a clean bathroom with enough supplies (we brought most of our toiletries anyway), the beds were clean and the sheets freshly replaced everytime we returned at night, the swimming pool was clean and not crowded even though there was an entire Australian baseball team with their families staying that time), the laundrette supply was sufficient, the staff efficient and polite, the coffeeshop offered food that satisfies the tired traveller and the buffet breakfast offered enough choices for the oriental and the western palate - croissant, butter, jam, wheat bread, toast, coffee, fruit juice, milk, noodles, cold cuts, eggs, cheese, etc.

Phone worked fine, too. The desk also took messages accurately when we were out.

I didn't get a chance to use the gym so I can't say anything about it.

I wouldn't live in the hotel or any hotel for that matter as I prefer wide, open spaces ... but the Metropolitan YMCA staff was professional enough to get the bed-and-breakfast job done and nice enough to make a guest feel at home. Value for money? Absolutely!

The only thing I didn't like was the television programming, but is that the hotel's fault? It didn't matter much though, I wasn't awake long enough to get bored anyway.

If you can't live without five-star amenities like a busy lobby, a suite, a gameroom, whatever ... then this is not the place for you. But if all you need for your stay in Singapore are the basics, then I'd recommend you stay here.

• Liked — efficiency
  • Disliked — tv programming
  • Stayed March 2006
9 Thank mamambo
Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 19, 2007

This is a rather belated review as I stayed here Aug '04. The room was basic but large, clean and very cheap which was what I wanted seeing I wouldn't be spending much time there.

The breakfast was horrible, but maybe thats just because I'm not used to eating noodles and chicken sausages (!?) first thing in the morning!

Location was good and was in walking distance of Orchard Road, but a bus stop was located just outside anyway.

Found the staff very friendly and accommodating.

This is the sort of place I would recommend for backpackers, on a budget, stopping over in Singpore enroute to Oz. It is perfectly adequate as a place to simply rest your head for a night or two. Any longer and I'd have booked into Raffles (honest!!!)

• Liked — Cheap and good location
  • Disliked — The breakfast!
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Honey510
USA
Reviewed January 15, 2007

Here is a summary of my experience

Bad
-------

1) Room looks very worn out. Maintenance is non existent.

2) Hotel staff with the exception for a few are plain rude. They go to the extent of harassing guests.

3) Internet reservation is pathetic.

Good
--------

1) There were some really polite staff who made the stay bearable.

Overall i wouldnt go there unless everything is full.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — The rude hotel staff.
  • Tips/Secrets — Avoid this place like plague.
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank My_Ten_Cents
Dallas, Tx.
Reviewed July 6, 2005

Do not use the on-line reservation system Metropolitan YMCA Singapore has on their web site.

I recently made a reservation on-line using their web site, and within 48 hours of making the reservation, canceled it. They charged my credit card, and when I inquired about the charged, they claimed they never got the cancellation. Even when I forwarded them proof of the cancellation, they refused to take the charge off. I was offered an upgrade on a room on my next stay, which I found a rather asinine offer considering the distance away from Singapore I live.

I can't really comment on the hotel, from what I can tell it seems to be in a good location, but whatever you do, do not use their on-line reservation system. It seems to have problems and they seem unwilling to correct the problems that do occur.

Stayed May 2005, traveled on business