“Great for a no frills stopover”

Metropolitan YMCA Singapore
Ranked #60 of 241 Specialty Lodging in Singapore
Reviewed May 29, 2009

We wanted a simple and affordable place to stay on a stopover on our way to Europe. We knew we wouldn't be spending a lot of time in our room (as we arrived in the evening, had tours booked the next morning then headed to the airport in the afternoon)so we didn't want to spend a fortune just for a bed. The Metro Y was ideal for our needs as it was very clean and comfortable ( I think our room had been recently renovated) and a cheap cab fare to everywhere we wanted to go (such as Orchard Rd).

It is by no means a 'flash hotel' but it is not trying to be. It is however, a great clean, cheap accommodation option.

The only downside was we had no hot water (which is why I didn't give it full marks) but I think this was due to the renovations going on elsewhere in the hotel at the time.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family

Reviewed December 12, 2008

We booked this because it seemed to be the least expensive hotel in Singapore with a reasonable review on this site. It was fine. Not very central, but a shortish bus ride (or a long walk) from Orchard station on the metro, if you're trying to save money. The room was fine, clean, with kettle and tea bags. The breakfast was a little strange, but perfectly edible, The staff were helpful. Make sure you get the right YMCA, Singapore seems to have two.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank M_the_driver
Reviewed October 29, 2008

The hotel web site offers many amenities which when you arrive you find they are not available to guests, The pool is used all day long for lessons and etc you can only swim after 7pm when it is getting dark and sometimes at lunch time. We objected and were given then use of the other pool which is for the suite guests. OK but this is an almost indoor pool with no sun shine nor amenities. as the other pool is in use you cannot even sunbathe on one of the 4 pathetic loungers that are supplied. The hotel offers a fully equipped gym which I wanted to use BUT guests are offered 1 (one) complimentary use of this gym during their stay. This is not mentioned on their web site, You are given to understand their amenities are for all Complimentary breakfast is given. poor selection - the cooked part is warm not hot - even for the first customers - not safe I do not think. However the coffee was excellent although only evaporated milk was offered. I like a firm bed and would not therefore complain about this very firm one but I do not appreciate the one lump of sorbo-rubber called a pillow which was supplied.. The windows are not double glazed and they cover them in a film of blue plastic to keep out the sun/warmth - this does almost work but it makes the room dark so you need the light on to read etc and it does not keep out sound and therefore with the swimming lessons - young children obviously enjoying themselves and the teachers whistles it is impossible to have an afternoon siesta. No hand towels, no face flannels and just a thin bath towel each - no swim towel even if you could swim. The cafe does do an excellent evening meal however although I had finished my meal before my husband had been served his.
There is a complimentary shuttle bus to Scott Road 5 times during each morning which saves you the 70c it would cost on the public bus which stops outside the door but there is no return service and it finishes at 12 noon. The free internet is available inn the foyer of the hotel together with the hoards of children waiting for their coaches to return them to school or wherever and if they forget to turn on their wire free you cannot get service until you ask for it anyway . I think we have had better money value at a youth hostel at a quarter of the price and would only recommend it for a VERY tired commercial traveller who just wants a bed for the night.
Such a shame as usually throughout the world YMCA gives value for money

Stayed: October 2008
5  Thank Prudence-kitten
Reviewed April 9, 2008

We had a one night stopover in Singapore, and stayed at this hotel.
We are a family (two adults, two small children aged 4 and 2).
Positive points:
The room rate - we paid SGD160 for one night
The availability - it was about the only hotel available in Singapore at relatively short notice (unless we were prepared to pay upwards of SGD 450 per night).
The friendliness of the staff - when reserving the room, when checking in (we arrived at 8.00 am, very tired after a long flight, and they organised a room for us immediately, although normal check in was 12:00), when asking for extra beds for our children (not a problem).
Excellent pool.
Good, family friendly, restaurant.

Negative points:
The room was very mouldy (especially the bathroom), and there was a lot of noise due to electrical renovations on our floor. If we were staying more than one night I would have asked for another room (I'm sure the friendly staff would have accommodated this request). This was a big negative for me, and rather unfortunate because otherwise they would have received five points from me. (Perhaps we had bad luck and got a room that was due for renovation.)
The pool was only open to guests at limited times during the day - it was heavily booked for swimming lessons.
It is a 30 minute walk from Orchard road. Not a problem if you take a taxi, but we like to walk!

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank richli808
Reviewed August 15, 2007

I recently stayed at the Metropolitan YMCA and I have to say, that I cannot have been happier!

I arrived at 3am with my daughter and was able to check in, with no problems.

The room was a twin, with a TV, Fridge and everything that we needed to settle in.

I travelled to HK for a week and came back to Singapore and stayed at the Metro YMCA for a second time.

The restaurant was great for all meals and the staff were always helpful.

We used the pool and always had a good time.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank Aus_Dad
Reviewed August 6, 2007

My criteria for judging hotels are simple: cleanliness, courtesy, efficiency, availability of hot water showers and baths, clean sheets, brewed coffee for me and fresh fruits for my daughter, and security.

I seriously do not understand why some people would totally diss the place. My daughter and I had an okay time at the Metro Y in the week we stayed there.

First, the Metro Y's location is perfect. It's quiet like a typical suburban neighborhood yet just 15 minutes away on foot from Orchard Road (that's timed with a 5-year old in tow). There is a bus stop in front and free shuttle to Orchard Road in the mornings for those who'd rather ride than walk.

We went to Singapore as tourists so most of the time we were out of the hotel. As a place to rest however, the room we got at the Metropolitan YMCA had a clean bathroom with enough supplies (we brought most of our toiletries anyway), the beds were clean and the sheets freshly replaced everytime we returned at night, the swimming pool was clean and not crowded even though there was an entire Australian baseball team with their families staying that time), the laundrette supply was sufficient, the staff efficient and polite, the coffeeshop offered food that satisfies the tired traveller and the buffet breakfast offered enough choices for the oriental and the western palate - croissant, butter, jam, wheat bread, toast, coffee, fruit juice, milk, noodles, cold cuts, eggs, cheese, etc.

Phone worked fine, too. The desk also took messages accurately when we were out.

I didn't get a chance to use the gym so I can't say anything about it.

I wouldn't live in the hotel or any hotel for that matter as I prefer wide, open spaces ... but the Metropolitan YMCA staff was professional enough to get the bed-and-breakfast job done and nice enough to make a guest feel at home. Value for money? Absolutely!

The only thing I didn't like was the television programming, but is that the hotel's fault? It didn't matter much though, I wasn't awake long enough to get bored anyway.

If you can't live without five-star amenities like a busy lobby, a suite, a gameroom, whatever ... then this is not the place for you. But if all you need for your stay in Singapore are the basics, then I'd recommend you stay here.

• Stayed: March 2006
9  Thank mamambo
Reviewed March 19, 2007

This is a rather belated review as I stayed here Aug '04. The room was basic but large, clean and very cheap which was what I wanted seeing I wouldn't be spending much time there.

The breakfast was horrible, but maybe thats just because I'm not used to eating noodles and chicken sausages (!?) first thing in the morning!

Location was good and was in walking distance of Orchard Road, but a bus stop was located just outside anyway.

Found the staff very friendly and accommodating.

This is the sort of place I would recommend for backpackers, on a budget, stopping over in Singpore enroute to Oz. It is perfectly adequate as a place to simply rest your head for a night or two. Any longer and I'd have booked into Raffles (honest!!!)

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple