“Location Stands Out”
Review of York Hotel

York Hotel
Ranked #120 of 316 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I stayed in York hotel with my family in the month of April,13. It’s not a luxury hotel like others on Orchad road but good enough to keep you satisfied keeping in mind the price. Rooms were big and spacious. Breakfast had variety if you are non-vegetarian. If breakfast (35 SGD per pax) is not included in the room price then I suggest to try Mcds, Kfcs and other good restrau’s on orchid road which is less than 5mins walking. They do not provide airport transfer which I think they should. MRT is 10mins walking. Over all, a good hotel if you get a good deal.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Jatin_85
There are newer reviews for York Hotel

Reviewed May 26, 2013

My wife and I stayed at York Hotel for five nights. We arrived from the airport at around 8pm and first impressions of this hotel were all positive. Check in was efficiently handled and we were in our room in just a few minutes. We stayed in a Superior Room which had a queen sized bed, small table and two chairs, hanging space, drawers and still ample floor space to unload suitcases and make a mess. The room had a good view over the pool area.
The bathroom was large and clean, with shower over a deep bath.
The location of York is excellent, it's a 5-10 minute walk to Orchard Road and from there you can access the endless shopping options or access the entire country from the MRT station at Orchard.
The pool is big and clean and is a welcome relief at the end of the day. Access to a greater supply to pool towels would be its only downside.
There are so many options for eating that we only used room service once on our first night and used the hotel restaurant once for our welcome drink provided on arrival. The service on those occasions was very good and the food of a very high quality.
All of the staff we encountered were friendly and more than willing to assist where possible.
The hotel has the most well stocked and reasonably priced gift shop I've ever seen.
It's only the little things that were the difference in me rating York as excellent such as on one occasion, we had to call housekeeping for additional toilet paper as a spare roll was not left when the room was made up and they do only leave two towels when making up the room. A couple of more towels would have made it more convenient to dry off more than once a day.
We left our bags with the hotel on check out as our flight was not until late evening. On returning to the hotel we were told by the concierge that we could use the showers near the pool to freshen up and to contact reception if no towels were poolside. On contacting reception they advised as the pool was closed, they would not supply any more towels. These are only small things which to me would be the difference between four and five star.
Overall the York provided us a great base to explore Singapore and I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to any traveller. We would definitely be staying here again if travelling to Singapore in the future.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Tiny_Chablis
Reviewed May 25, 2013

I stayed for 3 nights at York Hotel. Rooms are spacious and comfortable completely renovated.
Is a very quite albeit central location and ideal if you have to go to Mount Elisabeth Hospital.
Internet connection is fast and the staff friendly.
Good Hotel for business, health related visits or as a tourist. MRT is a stone throw from the Hotel which is a pleasant wall if your bag o bars are not heavy. Surprisingly not so difficult to get a taxi there. Through the back Scotts Road is also very near. It was my first time in this Hotel and surely I will return.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 18, 2013

The York is a nice hotel with a pool. Conveniently located near the Orchard Rd shopping and restaurants. The breakfast buffet was very good. Friendly staff, especially Rosemary who was very helpful.Near to the ION mall and the other malls. Can arrange sightseeing tours of the city.

Room Tip: Try to get one of the suites.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank SiriusSkier23
Reviewed May 17, 2013

I booked this hotel via Agoda at a little less than half the price. Thus, I was expecting $300+ a night service and value. I got my $150 a night service.
I chose the hotel for its location on Orchard and its free wi-fi. My family of 5 are heavy users. Unfortunately, they do not offer airport pick-up so we opted to take the train. The walk to the hotel from the MRT station did not take long but it was uphill. So brace yourselves. The rooms were not ready when we arrived there at 1:30. We had to leave the luggage and just come back after lunch.
I was a little disappointed with the concierge. Singapore has a law that forbids more than 4 passengers in a cab so the concierge hired a maxicab for us. It turns out that it was a fixed price cab that charged a pricey 45 Sing dollars per trip. I wish we were warned. Going back to the hotel after lunch, we took 2 metered cabs and spent all of 30 Sing dollars for 2 cabs.
Anyway, the rooms were ok but our only view was the adjacent buildings. They were clean and the towels were changed daily in spite of our hanging them up for re-use. I didn't particularly like their soap and shampoo. I was sort of expecting something more for the published rates of the hotel. At least the bathroom was big. There were not enough English channels available (only 5). In general. It did not really encourage staying in.
The elevators always smelled of the restaurant. Hotel business happened through the back entrance (along Mt. Elizabeth St.) and not the much prettier front entrance. The reception staff was all business and not enough niceness...but then again, this is Singapore.
Would I stay here again? Probably not. Lots of other hotels in Singapore.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank purplepinay
Reviewed May 8, 2013

We paid $1200 for 3 nights and chose the York because it advertised free wi-fi, something our family needed during our stay. The check-in staff seemed totally uninterested and offered no tips for getting around the area while we waited for our room to be ready.

Once we were in the room, wi-fi would not connect and whenever it did, the connection was lower than 100kbps and even simple pages like the Google homepage, Gmail and Bing were unable to load because the connection was SO SLOW. We called the reception and after we proved to them that they were forcibly throttling our connection, they suggested we pay for "premium" internet. This was after 2 and a half hours of "diagnosing" where they asked the same questions and repeatedly tried to blame all 3 of our laptops instead of their unbelievably slow connection.

The duty manager was sarcastic over the phone and completely dismissive when we went down to the lobby. For a city like Singapore with lightning fast internet at every corner, the speed in the hotel and the staff's cold and downright rude demeanor was a total turn off and one of the many reasons I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Pick a different hotel. You'll be glad you did.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Jackson G
Reviewed May 6, 2013 via mobile

First impressions of the hotel weren't great - reception staff did not seem interested in being at work and when we approached the desk to check in, we were told to go to the other side of the desk to check in. This was a little bit ridiculous given the desk clerk was a metre away from 'the other side of the desk'. The bellboys didn't bother to take our bags so we ended up lugging them to our room ourselves.

We had a deluxe room on the fourth floor - the first thing that struck us when we got out of the elevator was the smell. It was the overwhelming odour of stale cigarettes and mildew. Unfortunately the smell didn't dissipate our entire stay.

The room was very spacious and the bed very comfortable. Wifi was generally ok for doing small things like checking emails. Location was fantastic - only a 5-10 minute walk to orchard rd.

Breakfast buffet was terrible - officially the worst I've ever had. Who makes mushroom scrambled eggs? Even the pastries were unappetising. I recommend not paying to have breakfast included and having a brunch somewhere on orchard rd.

Wouldn't stay here again as there are far better hotels in good locations with similar pricing.

• Stayed: April 2013